Record vote for House Speaker?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Record vote for House Speaker?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've been advised that a record vote has been demanded/requested in the Speaker's race and it's causing no little concern in Austin. I didn't know that was a possibility. BTW, Turner has not indicated how he stands on guns and Second Amendment rights. Remember, we got Straus because 11 self-centered Republicans formed the ABC's (anyone-but-craddock). I'm no Straus fan, but if we get a closet anti-gunner in the Speaker's Chair because of a new anyone-but-straus philosophy, then history would have repeated itself and we would be far worse off.

I love the idea of a record vote. Turner cannot win, but it will put Straus in a position to deliver on gun rights issues, as well as other conservative issues, or his supporters will be in trouble in 2016.

I hope my information is correct, but it's not something that I can confirm or refute at this time.
Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 20

Re: Record vote for House Speaker?

Post by mojo84 »

I realize they can and do say anything to get elected but I thought I would share this. http://scottturnerfortexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Here is his voting record.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vot ... LVio8rnbqA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe it was 11 Republicans and a while bunch of Democrats that pushed Strauss into the speakership.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Roll Call happening now. http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlaye ... ent_id=764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 8

Post by baldeagle »

I read the other day that Turner supported and would push for a recorded vote, because he thought it was important that each legislator be held accountable for his vote for Speaker.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

They are about to hold the vote now. It can be watched at the link I posted above.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

mojo84 wrote:They are about to hold the vote now. It can be watched at the link I posted above.
Thanks for posting the link, by the applause I'm hearing that is accompanying a pro-Turner speech, it sounds like he has more support than I originally thought.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

From Turner's website:
Defend the 2nd Amendment
I fully support the right of Texans to keep and bear arms, and oppose all efforts to erode our Second Amendment freedoms. I’m an NRA member and am proud to report that I have earned an “A” rating from the NRA Political Victory Fund.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I wouldn't read too much into that. Speakers for Strauss are met with polite applause. Speakers for Turner are met with cheering, which gives the impression of support. When the vote is taken we will know where the legislators stand. I doubt these speeches will change many minds.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by misterlarry »

While unlikely, I'm hoping that Turner does win the Speakership.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baseballguy2001 »

OK, let me see if I have this correct -- Don't encourage your reps to vote for a new guy because he might be worse than Straus. The 'unknown' might be worse than what we have now. Well, seems to me, we KNOW the current Speaker isn't all that friendly to us. I would think a new Speaker would be an improvement since after the election the State has far more conservative members.

The status quo is not an improvement.

New leadership, new blood, a new (more conservative) approach. That, in my opinion is the way forward.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

Renne Olvia (D-TX 37th) just called Joe Straus a "conservative."

And that is all you need to know about why it is time for a change.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

steveincowtown wrote:Renne Olvia (D-TX 37th) just called Joe Straus a "conservative."

And that is all you need to know about why it is time for a change.
Correct. There's a reason why every single Democrat is going to vote for Straus. Straus will be reelected, but the focus on the Speaker's race for the first time in 40 years may well force Straus to act like a Republican. Then again, he may not because this could well be his last session.

Chas.

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Then again, he may not act like a Republican. And we'll get the status quo for this session and we'll try again in two more years. Then we're all two years older, the fight is two years older, and the same questions will be asked two years from now.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Strauss - 127, Turner - 19.

Business as usual. The legislators have STILL not gotten the message.
Last edited by baldeagle on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”