GOP Lawmakers Positive On Campus Carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

GOP Lawmakers Positive On Campus Carry

Post by Keith B »

Two Republican senators say a proposal that would allow college students to carry guns on campus already has enough support to pass the upper chamber.

Sens. Charles Schwertner and Brian Birdwell said Monday that 19 senators have endorsed their bill. It would allow students, faculty and staff members with concealed-handgun licenses to carry guns into campus buildings and classrooms.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/GOP-La ... 62271.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

juno106
Posts in topic: 4

Re: GOP Lawmakers Positive On Campus Carry

Post by juno106 »

Not perfect (opt out provision for private/independent institutions), but much better than I expected (both public & private/independent institutions are defaulted to opt in; no opt out for public institutions):

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... &Bill=SB11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gsansing
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gsansing »

I read about this bill in a NRA email that was sent last night. I have not had a chance to read the actual bill.
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Strauss will kill it in committee just like he did in the 83rd when the Senate passed it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

juno106

Post by juno106 »

That is what I'm afraid of.

When do they announce who are chairing the various House committees?

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

baldeagle wrote:Strauss will kill it in committee just like he did in the 83rd when the Senate passed it.
He may not. He will have a lot of heat on him this session, so stalling bills in committee will be a death sentence for him if he tries it. If he wants any of his items to not get killed he will stay out of the way on his party's important bills.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Some advice from Charles on such as this.
Let's wait and see how gun bills do in the Senate before we heap too much praise. Talk is very cheap.

Chas.
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=75973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mojo84 wrote:Some advice from Charles on such as this.
Let's wait and see how gun bills do in the Senate before we heap too much praise. Talk is very cheap.

Chas.
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=75973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dan Patrick strongly supports campus-carry.

Chas.

juno106

Post by juno106 »

Perhaps "wait and see", but in the Senate, the 2/3 was just changed to 3/5, i.e., 19 Senators.

And, if you look closely at SB 11, you'll note that 19 Senators are ALL listed as "Authors", NOT "Cosponsors"

There is a basis to be optimistic about its chances in the Senate.

If Strauss plays games in the House, and if Abbott wants it badly enough, he can always call a special session.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

juno106 wrote:Perhaps "wait and see", but in the Senate, the 2/3 was just changed to 3/5, i.e., 19 Senators.

And, if you look closely at SB 11, you'll note that 19 Senators are ALL listed as "Authors", NOT "Cosponsors"

If Strauss plays games in the House, and if Abbott wants it badly enough, he can always call a special session.

I NEVER do this, but here goes, campus-carry will pass the Senate.

Chas.

Dave09

Post by Dave09 »

Chas.
I could only hope this gets passed this time around. Im having to go unarmed about 70% of the week just because I cant carry on campus. To make matters worse the campus is in downtown Houston.
Last edited by Dave09 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
juno106 wrote:Perhaps "wait and see", but in the Senate, the 2/3 was just changed to 3/5, i.e., 19 Senators.

Chas.
I hope and pray you are right. What about the House? Will Straus and the house follow suit?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I hope and pray you are right. What about the House? Will Straus and the house follow suit?
I'm far less confident about the House, but the record vote for Speaker could be a game-changer.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Thanks for your efforts, Charles. Let us know how we can help if there is anything we can do.

It's tough being an outsider just waiting.

juno106

Post by juno106 »

I guess we'll know more if/when a companion House bill is introduced, and to which committee it is assigned [i.e., a (D)/RINO chairman, or not]

either that, or pray for a special session

EDIT # 1 --> Just came across the following
Speaking at a forum sponsored by the Texas Tribune, the Republican also said legislation to allow Texans to openly carry firearms faces tough sledding in the Legislature.

“Open carry is important, but I don’t think there is support in the Legislature to pass it,” Patrick said. “The votes have not been there.” By contrast, he thinks the odds are much better for passage of a bill to allow licensed persons to carry handguns on college campuses. A campus carry bill in the Senate already has 19 co-sponsors, enough to approve the measure.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... what.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EDIT # 2 --> Companion House Bill HB937

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=hB937" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”