HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

casp625
Posts in topic: 10

Re: HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by casp625 »

Two more excellent amendments added to HB910; lower penalty clarification and no overzealous *investigations*!

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Now that 910 is moving along, can we get 937 onto the calendar please?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

joe817
Posts in topic: 35

Post by joe817 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Now that 910 is moving along, can we get 937 onto the calendar please?
It was sent to Calendars Committee on 04/15/2015. It's up to them to schedule it to the Floor of the House. Nail biting time.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 12

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Vol Texan wrote:NOBODY wants this!

Absolute statements are always wrong. "rlol"
Correct. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

booze97
Posts in topic: 1

Post by booze97 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Now that 910 is moving along, can we get 937 onto the calendar please?
Better yet, let's get HB 308 moving.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 23

Re: HB910 Friday April 17, House Calendar for 2nd Reading

Post by Ruark »

CJD wrote:As far as I understand what others on this forum have said, it is because it wasn't substituted. Therefore, it has to go through the Senate the same as any other House bill, except, perhaps, it may be able to bypass a Committee hearing.
When it goes through the Senate, will they have to listen to all those silly opposition speeches again?
-Ruark

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by v7a »

Open carry bill passed with amendment to discourage racial profiling
Houston Democrat Harold Dutton offered the amendment, which prohibits peace officers from stopping or detaining someone "solely because the person is carrying a partially or wholly visible handgun carried in a shoulder or belt holster." Dutton is a criminal defense lawyer.

Charley Wilkinson, who heads the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, or CLEAT, the state's largest peace officer organization, said he will urge lawmakers to remove the amendment before final passage.

"We don't want officers to abuse their authority and power which is why we have a lot of recourse and remedy if the officer does a wrong thing," said Wilkinson. "I would hope that cooler heads would prevail here, and we would keep these fundamental tools for the officers to protect the public."

Houston Police Officers' Union President Ray Hunt, however, said he did not have a lot of "heartburn" over the change.

"It's kind of a common sense issue," said Hunt, who added police still would be allowed to stop someone with a gun if there was some other reasonable suspicion they were going to commit a crime. "I mean, we don't stop some people who are driving cars to see if they have a license."

The Wall
Posts in topic: 20

Post by The Wall »

That title makes it sound like that was the only reason for the amendment. I'm not sure that's the case. It's just one of many good reasons to have it in the bill.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by v7a »

Tell us how you really feel, Austin PD Chief Acevedo:

Open Season For Armed Criminals and Extremists
Yesterday's amendment to Texas' Open Carry Legislation is beyond belief and Aiken to open season for gang members, drug cartels, outlaw motor cycle gangs and any other criminal or extremist to defy the law with impunity, just brilliannt! If criminals, drug cartels, and extremists had a seat at the policy writing table they couldn't have come up with s better Amendment.

By prohibiting law enforcement from stopping or detaining to check for CHL, Texas is authorizing within our state lines any and all criminals to carry a firearm. My heart goes out to domestic violence victims and the victims of violent crimes in our State. Through this amendment we are facilitating the victimization of the people we are sworn to serve, protect and lead.

Here is a scenario, next time groups face off in our Capital City at the Capitol, Klan with their hoods on, Panthers with their faces covered, ISIS sympathizers with their faces covered and just about any other extremist group, armed with firearms authorized by Open-Carry, law enforcement will have absolutely no authority to ensure the people who are armed as they wish..........why bother common sense has officially died and writing any further would be fruitless.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 75

Post by mojo84 »

v7a wrote:Tell us how you really feel, Austin PD Chief Acevedo:

Yesterday's amendment to Texas' Open Carry Legislation is beyond belief and Aiken to open season for gang members, drug cartels, outlaw motor cycle gangs and any other criminal or extremist to defy the law with impunity, just brilliannt! If criminals, drug cartels, and extremists had a seat at the policy writing table they couldn't have come up with s better Amendment.

By prohibiting law enforcement from stopping or detaining to check for CHL, Texas is authorizing within our state lines any and all criminals to carry a firearm. My heart goes out to domestic violence victims and the victims of violent crimes in our State. Through this amendment we are facilitating the victimization of the people we are sworn to serve, protect and lead.

Here is a scenario, next time groups face off in our Capital City at the Capitol, Klan with their hoods on, Panthers with their faces covered, ISIS sympathizers with their faces covered and just about any other extremist group, armed with firearms authorized by Open-Carry, law enforcement will have absolutely no authority to ensure the people who are armed as they wish..........why bother common sense has officially died and writing any further would be fruitless.

Acevedo needs to visit with Hunt from Houston. I have no respect for Acevedo.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

CJD
Posts in topic: 32

Re: HB910 Friday April 17, House Calendar for 2nd Reading

Post by CJD »

Ruark wrote:
CJD wrote:As far as I understand what others on this forum have said, it is because it wasn't substituted. Therefore, it has to go through the Senate the same as any other House bill, except, perhaps, it may be able to bypass a Committee hearing.
When it goes through the Senate, will they have to listen to all those silly opposition speeches again?
Most indubitably.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Ruark »

Poor Art. All those Ku Klux Klansmen, Black Panthers and Bandidos running around waving their guns. Terrible. Maybe he'll go back to California now.
-Ruark

mr1337
Posts in topic: 36

Post by mr1337 »

Sounds like he needs a lesson on the 4th Amendment.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 13

Post by TexasCajun »

The only thing that makes this worse than his testimony during the senate hearing is that he (probably) had a chance to really think about what he's saying here. My heart aches for the people of Austin right now, and I pray that they wake up soon.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

mojo84
Posts in topic: 75

Post by mojo84 »

Who was the representative that that asked Rep. Phillips at the end of the day of the second reading if he would help fix the open carry law IF in a couple years the data suggested that it was a mistake and blood started running in the streets (my words here)? I believe he was the last one to address Phillips from the back microphone.

I really want to ask him if open carry proves to be a positive and blood does not run in the streets as he and some others want us to believe will happen, if he will help Phillips and the other pro gun rights folks to remove additional gun restrictions.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”