Frustration Over Gun Bills' Progress

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Frustration Over Gun Bills' Progress

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As we get closer to the end of the legislative session, people are getting frustrated with the apparent lack of progress on pro-gun bills. I too am frustrated because I can't recall a legislative session in the last 35 years where we have been this close to the end with no guns bills passed. There are reasons for our experience this session, but I cannot and will not go into that now and endanger passing our bills. I will say this much, it's not what many people are claiming, at least not in total. Some people intentionally ignore the fact that it is not just gun bills that are bottled up; it's the case across the board.

I'm also frustrated at some of the tinfoil hat posts that I'm seeing, as well as those who mock accurate information that has been provided throughout this session. I've said it many times before, but it is worth repeating. Senators, House Members, their staff and our opposition all read the Forum on a daily basis!! If you truly care about passing pro-gun bills, then consider carefully what you post. I personally don't care what people post about me or my information. I'm a trial attorney and a 35 year veteran of the legislative and political wars, so I'm used to unfounded accusations by people with a personal ax to grind or who simply don't know anything about the subject matter or events. I do care about anything that hurts the cause and unfounded insults and attacks against elected officials hurt the cause. Again, I understand the frustration, but if you simply must vent, then do it in the shower. There will be plenty of time after the close of the legislative session to analyze the session and point blame where it belongs. Those who know me know I won't hesitate to call out those who hurt our bills, if that is ultimately the case.

Yes, a lot of work is going on to pass as many bills as we can. There is no conspiracy to kill open-carry, nor is there a plan to trade open-carry for campus-carry, HB308, or anything else. Those who believe that all Republicans are on-board with anything and everything we want, when we want it, simply do not understand politics, or life for that matter. You seem to believe that they will focus solely on our bills to the exclusion of the thousands of other bills that they also care about and want to pass. Get real folks, that isn't the way life works either within or without the legislature.

Chas.

mojo84

Re: Frustration Over Gun Bills' Progress

Post by mojo84 »

I think the fact the house is cranking through 100 or so bills today is evidence gun legislation is not the only thing on the table.

My frustration comes from not understanding what all is going on and not knowing where our legislators stand on the bills I care about. Being on the "outside" looking it and trying to figure where the bills we care about stand is needless to say frustrating.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Charles - Thank you for your insight. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

WildBill wrote:Charles - Thank you for your insight. :tiphat:

:iagree: +1
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Mr. Cotton thank you for your hard work. We all should have a little patience for now.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by v7a »

The people here getting upset have obviously never had to endure a California legislative session :smilelol5:

More likely than not Open Carry will pass. As a last resort, the Senate simply has to pass HB910 without any amendments and it's straight to the governor for signature.
Last edited by v7a on Fri May 08, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

My hopes are definitely high, but I have some of the same frustrations. I'm watching the house now and it looks like they are burning through a ton of stuff today. Hopefully there's a sprint to the finish line. Thanks to Charles and all who have put in work in this session.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As we get closer to the end of the legislative session, people are getting frustrated with the apparent lack of progress on pro-gun bills. I too am frustrated because I can't recall a legislative session in the last 35 years where we have been this close to the end with no guns bills passed. There are reasons for our experience this session, but I cannot and will not go into that now and endanger passing our bills. I will say this much, it's not what many people are claiming, at least not in total. Some people intentionally ignore the fact that it is not just gun bills that are bottled up; it's the case across the board.

Chas.
Charles,
Please keep in mind that the lack of transparency in our legislative system is one of the many things that us "ordinary" folk are sick and tired of. Only insiders are privy to what is really going on with good legislation, the rest of us must wait and see what our "leaders" serve to us for dinner.

I realize that some of the legislation that we on this forum have a deep interest in is just part of the good legislation that has been held up over a petty feud between some self important elected officials, that does not make it more palatable. As a matter of fact, it actually causes me to be more deeply entrenched in the libertarian idea that our system of governance is broken beyond repair and government at all levels has lost the ability to consider the benefit of the people they are governing.

I do agree that the tinfoilhattery concerning conspiracy theories should stop. Speculation on what MAY be happening often spreads misinformation and can ultimately hurt the cause that you care about.

None of what I'm saying here is intended as a slight towards you and others who have been working tirelessly to represent the 2A community. Those efforts are greatly appreciated, I'm just sorry that you have to work within such an egocentric system that first worries about careers before worrying about benefitting constituents.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

canvasbck wrote:Please keep in mind that the lack of transparency in our legislative system is one of the many things that us "ordinary" folk are sick and tired of. Only insiders are privy to what is really going on with good legislation, the rest of us must wait and see what our "leaders" serve to us for dinner.
Agree.

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

Charles is 100 % correct !! Lets just cool it ........

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I think that Chas is correct...and that others that see things from outside the Legislature's perspective are correct to some degree.
I do appreciate the heads-up from Charles.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

safety1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by safety1 »

:tiphat:
Thank you for the update and all the hard work you do!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Well said, Charles and others. People need to step back and appreciate the massive responsibility our legislators have. Sure, they have our beloved HB910 and HB380. But they also have bills - thousands of them - related to everything else under the sun: bingo taxes, kindergarten curriculum, border patrol funding, emissions reduction, veterans' services, banking regulation, groundwater management, a TON of education-related bills, firefighter pay, license plates, sales taxes, television recycling, raw milk regulation, ship cargoes, cosmetology licensing, school prayer, stem cell research funding..... you get the picture. And they can't afford the slightest hint of nonchalance: all of these bills are extremely important, and their final decisions can affect the lives of tens of millions of people.

And huge numbers of these bills are supported by groups like us, with web sites urging readers to flood the Capitol offices with thousands of phone calls, letters and emails, day after day.

My hat is off to Charles and to our hard working legislators.
-Ruark

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

All good! Thanks to you all!

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Hopefully, when legislators and others read the more heated comments concerning the current session, they realize there are a great many of us who are not so impatient and do trust those who are working for us to pass desired legislation. We just don't post much. Thank you, Charles for all you do. :tiphat:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”