So what's the new signage going to be?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

So what's the new signage going to be?

Post by Ruark »

So how is the signage issue going to work? Will all the current 30 06 signs become obsolete? Will businesses keep their current 30 06 signs and put up an additional sign for OC?
-Ruark

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

Post by PBR »

not totally sure but think 30:06 will still be for conceal carry and 30:07 will be for open carry -- guessing must have both for no carry period, was wondering the same thing myself but figured more info would come out well in time before Jan 1st
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Rrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rrash »

30.06 will apply specifically to concealed. The wording of 30.06 will be changed to reflect concealed carry. 30.07 will apply specifically to open. On Jan 1,2016, all current 30.06 signs will be invalid and will need to be replaced with the updated 30.06 that specifies concealed carry.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Post by C-dub »

I'm not going to say that the current 30.06 sign won't be changed, but it already is specific for concealed carry.

However, since OC is only legal with a CHL, I suppose this sign could apply to both. Maybe the change will make it only apply to CC and 30.07 will only apply to OC. If that is what has passed and goes into effect I'm surprised that there wasn't more resistance to that from the dems.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

juno106

Post by juno106 »

Spanish language still required to be posted concurrently with English language (i.e., taking up twice as much real estate)?

ETA: New wording = new signs required on Jan 1, 2016.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If I looked at the correct version the new text will look like the following.

"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"
30.06 still only says a sign must be clearly visible to the public.

And the 30.07 sign will have this language.

"Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly"
30.07 says that this sign must be clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.

Both signs must have contrasting block letters at least 1" in height and in English and Spanish. Offenses for both are Class C misdemeanors. However, there is one other thing that has changed with regards to 30.06 and the reduction from a Class A to a Class C. Both are Class C simply for violating the signs. Previously, violating a 30.06 was a Class A, but only if the CHL also received oral notification and subsequently failed to depart. That part will stay and remain a Class A and will apply to both 30.06 and 30.07.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Rrash wrote:30.06 will apply specifically to concealed. The wording of 30.06 will be changed to reflect concealed carry. 30.07 will apply specifically to open. On Jan 1,2016, all current 30.06 signs will be invalid and will need to be replaced with the updated 30.06 that specifies concealed carry.
30.06 did not change, so existing signs on private property will continue to be enforceable and will continue to be applicable to concealed carry. HB910 provides for a new 30.07 sign that would be applicable to open carry. So property owners could opt to change out their 30.06 for 30.07 or add 30.07 to their already posted 30.06.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

howdy

Post by howdy »

Someone posted the agreement worked out by the HB910 conference committee. The only difference in 30.06 is the word "concealed" in crossed out. The requirement for the sign to be "EXACT" is still in the law, so old signs will not be "exact" anymore. I would never advocate crossing such sign, but that appears to be the law. (my link to the committee resolution no longer works)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

TexasCajun wrote:
Rrash wrote:30.06 will apply specifically to concealed. The wording of 30.06 will be changed to reflect concealed carry. 30.07 will apply specifically to open. On Jan 1,2016, all current 30.06 signs will be invalid and will need to be replaced with the updated 30.06 that specifies concealed carry.
30.06 did not change, so existing signs on private property will continue to be enforceable and will continue to be applicable to concealed carry. HB910 provides for a new 30.07 sign that would be applicable to open carry. So property owners could opt to change out their 30.06 for 30.07 or add 30.07 to their already posted 30.06.
30.06 will change. Three new words have been inserted and five words will be struck out.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Back when CHL first passed, there was no 30.06 codicil, and so even if some business owner were anti-gun, he would not have been read up on being able to keep people out with a 30.06 sign. But, 30.06 signs have been in existence for a LONG time now, and the one thing that has kept more of them from being posted is simply that if our guns are out of sight, they are out of the business-owner's mind.

However, things are more politically polarized than ever these days, and the debates over open carry did not occur in a vaccum....... including details such as 30.07 signage since it is part of the law that was passed, unlike with original CHL law and 30.06. I wonder what impact that is going to have on the posting of signage. Will people who are motivated to post 30.07 signs also go the extra trouble to post 30.06 if they haven't already? Will they do nothing until the first time someone carries openly into their business? Will they carry on as before and do nothing?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm guessing that there will be an initial jump in the rate at which sign postings get reported on texas3006.com (has Russell already claimed texas3007.com?), after which things will calm down. The reason I think this is that the sign postings will likely be in response to new open carriers who are doing it for the novelty of it, and that when the novelty wears off and they decide to prefer (not "eliminate", I mean prefer) CC over OC, they will OC less frequently, resulting in less frequent postings.

However, the "damage" will have been done as, once the signs have been posted, they are not likely to be taken down ever again. So the question that interests me is to what extent business owners will react this way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

The old 30.06 sign that we know and love must have the following text in both English and Spanish:
"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"

The new 30.06 sign will say in English and Spanish
"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"

Additions are in BLACK
Subtractions are in RED

30.07 signs must state in English and Spanish at EACH ENTRANCE:
"Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly"

howdy

Post by howdy »

See if this works. This is the agreed upon committee report. I do not know if it is accurate but you can see the cross outs and additions. 30.06 is on pg 29

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/scanned/84cc ... navpanes=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

CJD

Post by CJD »

Hopefully texas3006.com will just be modified to include 30.07, rather than having to go to 2 sites.

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

CJD wrote:Hopefully texas3006.com will just be modified to include 30.07, rather than having to go to 2 sites.
I think I saw in another thread this was his intention but still wasn't sure how he would implement the changes. This was a while back so I may be incorrect.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

joelamosobadiah wrote:
CJD wrote:Hopefully texas3006.com will just be modified to include 30.07, rather than having to go to 2 sites.
I think I saw in another thread this was his intention but still wasn't sure how he would implement the changes. This was a while back so I may be incorrect.
Not necessary to "modify" the site. All that is required is for him to own the domain. Then he can alias it to the original domain. Then, it won't matter whether your browser's address bar is displaying texas3006.com or texas3007.com, you will be looking at the same original website - texas3006.com.

I just did a "who is" search on "texas3007.com" and Russell did register it on March 18th of this year. If it were me, that is how I would handle it (and as a website designer, I do this often for my clients as well as for the domains that I own myself).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”