So what's the new signage going to be?

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


jerry_r60
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#61

Post by jerry_r60 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:04 am

Hopefully we don't get a bunch of folks drawing attention to invalid (old) 30.06 signs.


android
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#62

Post by android » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:34 am

Ruark wrote:It just crossed my mind that some places have the 3006 text etched into the glass. They're going to be ticked off at having to replace it because of a couple of changed words.
My heart bleeds for them.

:cryin


Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#63

Post by Russell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:39 am

The Annoyed Man wrote: Not necessary to "modify" the site. All that is required is for him to own the domain. Then he can alias it to the original domain. Then, it won't matter whether your browser's address bar is displaying texas3006.com or texas3007.com, you will be looking at the same original website - texas3006.com.

I just did a "who is" search on "texas3007.com" and Russell did register it on March 18th of this year. If it were me, that is how I would handle it (and as a website designer, I do this often for my clients as well as for the domains that I own myself).


This is exactly what I plan on doing. Just need to add the 30.07 signage option that can be chosen when a user submits an entry :) I will do that soon. Easy peasy.

I registered the domain as soon as I heard that "no open carry" signs would be 30.07 to prevent anti-2A folks from registering it for something else since my site seems to be making them mad for some reason :roll:
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 17189
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#64

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:14 am

jerry_r60 wrote:
Ruark wrote:It just crossed my mind that some places have the 3006 text etched into the glass. They're going to be ticked off at having to replace it because of a couple of changed words.
I've never seen one of these but it doesn't sound like that provides a "contrasting background".
I've seen a few and you're right, there is very little contrast. This is especially true when the sun is at certain angles.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#65

Post by mloamiller » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:22 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:Back when CHL first passed, there was no 30.06 codicil, and so even if some business owner were anti-gun, he would not have been read up on being able to keep people out with a 30.06 sign. But, 30.06 signs have been in existence for a LONG time now, and the one thing that has kept more of them from being posted is simply that if our guns are out of sight, they are out of the business-owner's mind.

However, things are more politically polarized than ever these days, and the debates over open carry did not occur in a vaccum....... including details such as 30.07 signage since it is part of the law that was passed, unlike with original CHL law and 30.06. I wonder what impact that is going to have on the posting of signage. Will people who are motivated to post 30.07 signs also go the extra trouble to post 30.06 if they haven't already? Will they do nothing until the first time someone carries openly into their business? Will they carry on as before and do nothing?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm guessing that there will be an initial jump in the rate at which sign postings get reported on texas3006.com (has Russell already claimed texas3007.com?), after which things will calm down. The reason I think this is that the sign postings will likely be in response to new open carriers who are doing it for the novelty of it, and that when the novelty wears off and they decide to prefer (not "eliminate", I mean prefer) CC over OC, they will OC less frequently, resulting in less frequent postings.

However, the "damage" will have been done as, once the signs have been posted, they are not likely to be taken down ever again. So the question that interests me is to what extent business owners will react this way.
:iagree:
My wife and I had that exact conversation about a month ago, and one reason I would not have been terribly upset if Open Carry had not passed. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against Open Carry, but I doubt I will ever do it, and am more concerned about the negative impact those practicing it will have on Concealed Carry. I can just hope that those who do chose to carry openly won't be so "in your face" with it that it costs the rest of us dearly.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO


Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#66

Post by Taypo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:28 pm

:iagree:

User avatar

LSUTiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#67

Post by LSUTiger » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 pm

I wonder when the novelty of being able to carry a concealed handgun for protection is going to wear off?
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?


viking1000
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#68

Post by viking1000 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm

As for me, If I pull up and see a sign, I would pull out and go somewhere else to get whatever item I went there to get. I would take a picture , note the establishment name and post it in a place that records these signs. I might even call then to inform them where they can view there sign.
All these signs do is inform a bad guy that there are no weapons in the store .

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Benbrook / SW Fort Worth

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#69

Post by AJSully421 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:53 pm

LSUTiger wrote:I wonder when the novelty of being able to carry a concealed handgun for protection is going to wear off?

Sorry, are you asking for you personally? (I took about 2-3 months before it became second nature), or are you asking when society will come around?

Texas has had licensed CC for 20 years now... I would think that the novelty would have worn off by now. It isn't the novelty that is the issue, it is how the left has taken on the politicizing of EVERYTHING from the weather to light bulbs to toilets that makes this such a problem.

Did the left always hate guns? I mean, the NFA and GCA came from somewhere, I know. It is one thing to ban gangsters from owning tommy guns in the 40's and another to try to ban law abiding families from owning semi auto pistols with more than 10 rounds in the mag when you have multiple bad guys coming at you with 15-18 rounds in their mags.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

User avatar

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 am
Location: DFW

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#70

Post by harrycallahan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:58 pm

mloamiller wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Back when CHL first passed, there was no 30.06 codicil, and so even if some business owner were anti-gun, he would not have been read up on being able to keep people out with a 30.06 sign. But, 30.06 signs have been in existence for a LONG time now, and the one thing that has kept more of them from being posted is simply that if our guns are out of sight, they are out of the business-owner's mind.

However, things are more politically polarized than ever these days, and the debates over open carry did not occur in a vaccum....... including details such as 30.07 signage since it is part of the law that was passed, unlike with original CHL law and 30.06. I wonder what impact that is going to have on the posting of signage. Will people who are motivated to post 30.07 signs also go the extra trouble to post 30.06 if they haven't already? Will they do nothing until the first time someone carries openly into their business? Will they carry on as before and do nothing?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm guessing that there will be an initial jump in the rate at which sign postings get reported on texas3006.com (has Russell already claimed texas3007.com?), after which things will calm down. The reason I think this is that the sign postings will likely be in response to new open carriers who are doing it for the novelty of it, and that when the novelty wears off and they decide to prefer (not "eliminate", I mean prefer) CC over OC, they will OC less frequently, resulting in less frequent postings.

However, the "damage" will have been done as, once the signs have been posted, they are not likely to be taken down ever again. So the question that interests me is to what extent business owners will react this way.
:iagree:
My wife and I had that exact conversation about a month ago, and one reason I would not have been terribly upset if Open Carry had not passed. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against Open Carry, but I doubt I will ever do it, and am more concerned about the negative impact those practicing it will have on Concealed Carry. I can just hope that those who do chose to carry openly won't be so "in your face" with it that it costs the rest of us dearly.
From everyone I have talked with the prevailing wisdom is that everyone wants the option and the freedom to exercise it when the need arises. Most, and I include myself, plan to switch to OWB holster, full frame pistol wearing pants and shirt that now fit with little or no effort for concealment. All of this along with Texas summer heat are prime reason to OC. Additionally, if my wife is any indicator, females will OC as well, just for completely different reasons. I suspect that you'll hear a lot more from all of those who claimed that they are not interested in OC actually getting on board when the time comes.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#71

Post by ralewis » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Taypo wrote:
TexasGal wrote:I am just hoping everyone who is super eager to carry openly exercise a little sensitivity or we may well see a lot of new signage. Too many people have been led by the media to think we are all the same as OCT and the like. It was videos of those wanna be's that were put on the screen just about every time open carry was covered. Let's try our best to "look" and behave a lot better than that to people who seriously may feel afraid or offended at first. Heck, I already have a friend asking me where he can get 30.07 signs for his business. He has a CHL and is not opposed to the open carry law but he is opposed to having to deal with his customer's views on it.
:iagree:

Same situation with me. CHLs are welcome, including employees, but customer reaction to OC is probably going to drive a 30.07.
What if OC has the effect of 30.06 signs coming down....Maybe this is crazy talk, but stick with me for a bit....

Opposition to guns can be an idealogical/philosophical issue for a lot of folks. Businesses don't receive complaints about concealed carry because, well it's concealed. Business respond to customer feedback (positive or negative). If OC is a net negative or at least is obvious enough to cause enough customer complaints, then I'd certainly expect 30.07 signs to go up. A very visible cause and effect of a sign & a behavior change.

So, what does this mean practically speaking if 30.07 signs show up? There is a finite amount of space available to post stuff in businesses. I used to own a business, and the last thing I'd want to do is clutter it up with signs that weren't revenue generating. Couple that with the fact that the 30.06 signage seems to need to be changed, and maybe the new 30.06 signs are never replaced.


mr1337
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#72

Post by mr1337 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm

ralewis wrote:the 30.06 signage seems to need to be changed, and maybe the new 30.06 signs are never replaced.
Shhhhhhh...

:thumbs2:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#73

Post by mloamiller » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:00 pm

ralewis wrote:Couple that with the fact that the 30.06 signage seems to need to be changed, and maybe the new 30.06 signs are never replaced.
I thought of that as well. Someone else commented that signage space at the front of many stores is in short supply. Since the 30.06s will have to replaced, and if owners don't have room for both 30.06 and 30.07, they may opt only for the 30.07 since open carry would get the most attention. If so, it's a win for concealed carry.

We'll just have to wait and see.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#74

Post by Vol Texan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:03 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:Back when CHL first passed, there was no 30.06 codicil, and so even if some business owner were anti-gun, he would not have been read up on being able to keep people out with a 30.06 sign. But, 30.06 signs have been in existence for a LONG time now, and the one thing that has kept more of them from being posted is simply that if our guns are out of sight, they are out of the business-owner's mind.

However, things are more politically polarized than ever these days, and the debates over open carry did not occur in a vaccum....... including details such as 30.07 signage since it is part of the law that was passed, unlike with original CHL law and 30.06. I wonder what impact that is going to have on the posting of signage. Will people who are motivated to post 30.07 signs also go the extra trouble to post 30.06 if they haven't already? Will they do nothing until the first time someone carries openly into their business? Will they carry on as before and do nothing?

(snip)

However, the "damage" will have been done as, once the signs have been posted, they are not likely to be taken down ever again. So the question that interests me is to what extent business owners will react this way.
In my comments below, I show results as bad (red), good (green), and neutral (blue - because yellow doesn't show up well). I think the possibility for good and neutral results outweigh the bad ones, if we handle it correctly.
  • I think some businesses fall into the 'never really thought about it' category, so they never posted a sign, and never knew that we were walking in all the time, fully armed. These folks may (if they are of a certain mindset) start posting 30.07 signs if they see a lot of open carry folks.
    Will they also post 30.06? Perhaps, but perhaps not. After all, as you say,"if our guns are out of sight, they are out of the business-owner's mind."
    • I, for one, if asked what sign would be required to ban this "open carry thing", would answer only about the 30.07 language. Never in the past have I ever advised anyone about 30.06, and never will...but I figure if they get the answer that 30.07 solves their problem, and then they act on it with no further research of their own, then 30.07 is all that will get posted.
      In this case, we've gained nothing, and lost nothing.
    • Left to their own devices, they might learn about the 'other' sign as well, and we don't want that.
      In that case, then we've lost CC in a previously acceptable location.
  • Some of these businesses (for example: the jewelry store in the Houston Heights area that bears my wife's name) will never be bothered by open carriers, unless she gets a bunch of long-gun open carriers trying to prove some point (OCT anyone?), and she'll simply ask them to leave, and not make her business a focal point of their childish campaign. You won't see any signage on her store, and I think there may be lots of small businesses in this category.
    In this case, we've gained OC in a place that already allowed CC, but lost nothing.
  • Others will have had 30.06 signs for a long time. I'm VERY certain that all of these will post 30.07 immediately upon seeing the first open carrier in their store.
    • My hope is that when doing so, they forget to change their 30.06 sign as well. The end result is that a lot of old places that previously banned CC would be opened up to us finally.
      In this case, we gained CC only in a place previously prohibited, and lost nothing.
    • If they post both signs properly then so be it.
      In this case, we've gained nothing, and lost nothing.
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor & NRA Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Armored Cav. | Tennessee Squire

User avatar

SA_Steve
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: San Antonio, north central hills

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

#75

Post by SA_Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:30 pm

Heard radio and TV news today, 4 different newscasts, 2 different stations, talking about the new TX gun laws. Mentioned was that the new sign requirements to prohibit guns are onerous and court challenges are planned. Never said by who, and did not identify the source for this information.
You may have the last word.

Locked

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”