Specific question on open carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CJD
Posts in topic: 3

Specific question on open carry

Post by CJD »

I've been wondering this for a while, but wasn't going to ask unless open carry passed.
What will the laws be regarding ability of apartments and gated communities with private roads restricting open carry, or for that matter carry in general?

Robert91RS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Specific question on open carry

Post by Robert91RS »

Seems like they'd have to give verbal warning or post signs. Anyone carrying open will become a target and get a verbal notice fairly quick I imagine, whereas if you keep it concealed while your on the property they won't know to post signs or create anti gun policies. Do as you will, but unless the owner is a known 2A supporter I think you serve yourself better by being discrete.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tracker »

my daughter is in an apartment where the policy is she can carry to and from her car but the ownership doesn't want them carrying concealed around on the property as a matter of routine practice.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Tracker wrote:my daughter is in an apartment where the policy is she can carry to and from her car but the ownership doesn't want them carrying concealed around on the property as a matter of routine practice.
But is that legally enforceable?

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

casp625 wrote:
Tracker wrote:my daughter is in an apartment where the policy is she can carry to and from her car but the ownership doesn't want them carrying concealed around on the property as a matter of routine practice.
No, not as per state laws. But it might void the contract.

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

Tracker wrote:
casp625 wrote:
Can you please explain why it's not? This was what I was wondering.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

CJD wrote:
Tracker wrote:
casp625 wrote:
Because there is no 30.06 signs posted anywhere on the property. It's an agreement in the signed contract. That is a civil agreement between the leassee and leassor. If you violate the contract they can force you to move out, they can't have you arrested.

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

Tracker wrote:
CJD wrote:
Tracker wrote:
casp625 wrote:
Because there is no 30.06 signs posted anywhere on the property. It's an agreement in the signed contract. That is a civil agreement between the leassee and leassor. If you violate the contract they can force you to move out, they can't have you arrested.
So apartment complexes could post 30.06 on their grounds? But you would still be able to have them in your car and domicile right?
And regarding gated neighborhood with private roads. One I'm wondering in particular has a POA. Does this then count as a government agency which cannot prohibit weapons?

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

CJD wrote:
Tracker wrote:
CJD wrote:
Tracker wrote:
casp625 wrote:
So apartment complexes could post 30.06 on their grounds? But you would still be able to have them in your car and domicile right?
And regarding gated neighborhood with private roads. One I'm wondering in particular has a POA. Does this then count as a government agency which cannot prohibit weapons?
There is bill (HB 2999) that addresses this for so-called property owner associations, but it doesn't apply to apartments. This bill hasn't gone very far this session. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB2999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Your home is your castle. They can't stop you from carrying in your home including your apartment. The common areas like parking lots and sidewalks are part of your home. Now they could post 30.06 signs on the office I would think. You wouldn't breech your rental agreement or lease unless it was specifically mentioned and you signed it. If they kicked you out then they would be breaching the contract if it wasn't in your lease.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

CJD wrote:
Tracker wrote:
CJD wrote:
Tracker wrote:
casp625 wrote:
They could put the sign on the office complex but they can't put it on your apartment door. And your apartment lease extends to the the private road and grounds. They can't ban you from your community leased property using anything from the penal code, as far as I know. They can say you violated the lease agreement, however. They would have to prove you violated the lease and get a court order to have you evicted.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

The Wall wrote:Your home is your castle. They can't stop you from carrying in your home including your apartment. The common areas like parking lots and sidewalks are part of your home. Now they could post 30.06 signs on the office I would think. You wouldn't breech your rental agreement or lease unless it was specifically mentioned and you signed it. If they kicked you out then they would be breaching the contract if it wasn't in your lease.
we think alike

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”