2015 Session - What Was Sent to the Governor?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gljjt
Posts in topic: 9

Re: 2015 Session - What Was Sent to the Governor?

Post by gljjt »

I don't really understand why this is even a requirement. The CLEO probably doesn't know you so he or she can't vouch for you. Its not his or her place to ascertain "need". What value does this signature provide? Certainly not your background. The ATF can look that up.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

FL450 wrote:Where does NFA CLEO must sign stand??

I will never understand why anyone would go the individual route and not do a NFA trust.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by v7a »

AJSully421 wrote:
I will never understand why anyone would go the individual route and not do a NFA trust.
Using NFA trusts will also require CLEO signoff in the near future (recently postponed until December, but implementation of this new rule may very well be delayed again).

Rrash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rrash »

I believe the big one that did not pass was HB308. I think most of us would agree on this one. I do see SB11 as the logical stepping stone to expanding where we are allowed to carry. Expanding our rights should really be at the forefront for 2017, along with tweaking our gun laws already in place as needed.

FL450
Posts in topic: 4

Post by FL450 »

v7a wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:
Using NFA trusts will also require CLEO signoff in the near future (recently postponed until December, but implementation of this new rule may very well be delayed again).
I did a trust but was refering to the potential required CLEO sign off even with a trust.
I was glad to hear about the postponment but would have liked to have seen this bill pass this session just in case it is not postponed again and ruled in favor of a CLEO sign off
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomneal »

FL450 wrote:
Where does NFA CLEO must sign stand??

Did not pass. It died because of infighting between the House and Senate on a totally unrelated issue/item.

Chas.
This will go on my "Wait 'til next session" list.
Altho, someone said Louisiana did something so the signoff could come from the State. I didn't quite understand what they were describing. Maybe this is something the Governor / Attorney General can look into.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 6

Post by CleverNickname »

tomneal wrote:
FL450 wrote:
Where does NFA CLEO must sign stand??

Did not pass. It died because of infighting between the House and Senate on a totally unrelated issue/item.

Chas.
This will go on my "Wait 'til next session" list.
Altho, someone said Louisiana did something so the signoff could come from the State. I didn't quite understand what they were describing. Maybe this is something the Governor / Attorney General can look into.
The ATF will accept signatures from state-level CLEOs too. The DPS and AG would be acceptable.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by v7a »

CleverNickname wrote:The ATF will accept signatures from state-level CLEOs too. The DPS and AG would be acceptable.
If the new ATF regulations do go into force in December, maybe the AG could set up an automated online process for requesting signoff. I'd even be happy to pay a small fee for each signoff so they can recoup the cost of setting up and running the system.

Topic author
gljjt
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gljjt »

v7a wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:The ATF will accept signatures from state-level CLEOs too. The DPS and AG would be acceptable.
If the new ATF regulations do go into force in December, maybe the AG could set up an automated online process for requesting signoff. I'd even be happy to pay a small fee for each signoff so they can recoup the cost of setting up and running the system.
What does this sign off accomplish, other than satisfy an arbitrary regulatory requirement? I'm still wondering what would be lost if no sign off is required. It seems the CLEO signs or doesn't sign at their discretion, no formal guidelines are followed.

FL450

Post by FL450 »

gljjt wrote:
v7a wrote:
What does this sign off accomplish, other than satisfy an arbitrary regulatory requirement? I'm still wondering what would be lost if no sign off is required. It seems the CLEO signs or doesn't sign at their discretion, no formal guidelines are followed.
The goverment (President) believes the trust route has loopholes in it so he wants that shut down as well as using the ATF powers to futher gun control thru actions like as well as by restricting ammo(Green tip)
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

v7a wrote:
I've just started to look at SBRs and the whole sign off thing feels like a giant goat screw. I'd be a user as well. Just seems like an easier path than the current system.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

gljjt wrote:
mr1337 wrote:Here are the ones I've been keeping track of:

Signed by Governor:

SB473 - Makes the lack of NFA registration or designation as a "curio" an element of the crime, rather than a defense to prosecution. You can currently be tried for owning a suppressor, and you must present proof of NFA registration in court as a defense.

Sent to Governor (or soon to be sent to governor):

SB273 - This bill seeks to provide a civil penalty for municipalities that post un-enforceable 30.06 signs. 30.06 signs posted on state or local government property are un-enforceable unless already an otherwise prohibited place.

HB554 - Creates a defense to prosecution and a prohibition on arrest if a CHL inadvertently carries a handgun into the security area of an airport. Police cannot arrest a person unless they advise them of their ability to leave the security area and the CHL fails to do so. (Please still don't do this, you still face fines from the TSA.)

HB905 - Preempts local knife laws in Texas, removing the patchwork of local knife ordinances across the state.

HB910 - Licensed open carry. Texas will have licensed open carry on Jan 1, 2016, being the 46th state to adopt open carry legislation.

SB11 - Campus carry bill
S473 as written says knuckles are unlawful. I think they left off brass before knuckles. Otherwise we all have to have surgery before September!
(8) "Knuckles" means any instrument that consists of finger rings or guards made of a hard substance and that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with a fist enclosed in the knuckles.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

gljjt wrote:I don't really understand why this is even a requirement. The CLEO probably doesn't know you so he or she can't vouch for you. Its not his or her place to ascertain "need". What value does this signature provide? Certainly not your background. The ATF can look that up.
I've heard that back when the NFA was passed into law, we didn't have background checks or the like, so a CLEO sign-off was the closest thing there was to that.

It's just never been changed.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

mr1337 wrote:
gljjt wrote:I don't really understand why this is even a requirement. The CLEO probably doesn't know you so he or she can't vouch for you. Its not his or her place to ascertain "need". What value does this signature provide? Certainly not your background. The ATF can look that up.
I've heard that back when the NFA was passed into law, we didn't have background checks or the like, so a CLEO sign-off was the closest thing there was to that.

It's just never been changed.
The history makes sense, but its definitely antiquated at this point. I'd venture to say that a state issued CHL should carry more weight than a sign off from a cop that doesn't know you. I don't like paying for a tax stamp, but if that's the admission fee then it is what it is. Its the process that's keeping me from shopping for an SBR right now.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 6

Post by CleverNickname »

Taypo wrote:the whole sign off thing feels like a giant goat screw.
That's the whole point.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”