Post by cb1000rider »

Sincerely:
Thank you.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The thread where we thank Mr. Cotton

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for all of your comments folks! It makes it a lot easier to keep fighting, especially when you encounter a legislative session like this one.

I speak at continuing legal education seminars for attorneys, primarily in odd-numbered years so I can provide a legislative update on guns and self-defense issues. I'm writing my presentation now and it's remarkable the difference in the number of bills I covered in 2013 (16) compared to the 2015 session (8). Granted, open-carry and campus-carry consumed a tremendous amount of political capital and that's why we never want to have more than two flagship bills. This is especially true when those bills generate huge emotional opposition by people who don't mind lying to achieve their political goals. Political capital is to legislative efforts as water is to a garden. Some plants die because others get the water and bills die because others get the political capital.

Thanks again folks and you need to stay in the fight too!
Chas.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: I'm writing my presentation now and it's remarkable the difference in the number of bills I covered in 2013 (16) compared to the 2015 session (8). Granted, open-carry and campus-carry consumed a tremendous amount of political capital and that's why we never want to have more than two flagship bills. This is especially true when those bills generate huge emotional opposition by people who don't mind lying to achieve their political goals. Political capital is to legislative efforts as water is to a garden. Some plants die because others get the water and bills die because others get the political capital.

Thanks again folks and you need to stay in the fight too!
Chas.
Charles, I agree with what you have said here. I heard a news cast Tuesday night that said Texas lawmakers only passed about 1/4 of the bills filed this year when that number is usually closer to 1/2. I wish I could find the story so I could post it. Was rather interesting if you can believe main stream media sources.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

RPBrown wrote:Charles, I agree with what you have said here. I heard a news cast Tuesday night that said Texas lawmakers only passed about 1/4 of the bills filed this year when that number is usually closer to 1/2. I wish I could find the story so I could post it. Was rather interesting if you can believe main stream media sources.
Here's some interesting statistics on filed/passed bills this legislative session:

Total House Bills Introduced: 4,207
Total House Bills Passed: 819 = 19.47%

Total Senate Bills Introduced: 2,069
Total Senate Billes Passed: 504 = 24.36%

Of the total House and Senate bills introduced(6,276), 1,323 were passed, or 21.08%

Note: Only bills introduced and passed were included above. When you add in allllllll the resolutions: House/Senate:Concurrent & Joint(both Chambers) the numbers change dramatically:

House & Senate Introduced: 11,355
House & Senate Passed: 5,972
Or: 52.6%

To sum it up, IMHO, alllll the congratulatory and memorial resolutions distort the reality of actual legislative bills passed and introduced. Take statistics with a grain of salt.

Source: Texas Legislature; Legislative Statistics. Report date: 06/03/2015

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TBJK
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TBJK »

Thank you for all the due diligence, time that you have not only putting in for the legislation but for the updates.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”