The thread where we thank Mr. Cotton

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 1

The thread where we thank Mr. Cotton

Post by Scott Farkus »

I know it's been done in some of the other threads, but I felt this deserves a thread all its own.

A week or so ago, I watched in disgust as HB901 went down. I went to bed a few nights later after resigning myself to the fact that SB11 would not make the midnight deadline, and another good bill would once again die on the vine. When I woke up the next morning and saw that the House had been forced to adopt a poison pill amendment in exchange for a vote, I assumed it was nothing more than window dressing to prolong the inevitable.

I would have bet money - a LOT of money - that there was no way a conference committee on one of the bills, much less both, could be put together and finish with anything near enough time to forestall the various filibusters and procedural shenanigans that would surely come our way.

And yet it happened, almost not with a bang but a whimper. I don't know what you and others did, Mr. Cotton, but it was brilliant and it was effective and I personally thank you from the bottom of my heart. It would have been very easy to throw up your hands and walk away, particularly considering how many of our setbacks this session were 100% self-inflicted, but y'all hung in there and got it done.

One day I'd love to hear the juicy behind the scenes details - the "rest of the story", as they say. But today, I simply say, thank you. :tiphat:

A final thought. I understand your disappointment that HB308 once again did not make it to the floor. I agree with you that it will be a far greater victory for carry rights when it finally passes. But it was hugely symbolic to get OC done, and by finally getting that elephant out of the room, I am firmly convinced that the chances for HB308 next session just got a whole lot better, if not inevitable. I hope others will follow me in committing our assistance to getting this done in 2017.
Last edited by Scott Farkus on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

FL450

Re: The thread where we thank Mr. Cotton

Post by FL450 »

I want to 2nd the thank you.
You work as a non stop advocate for our 2A rights.
Its always interesting to hear the back stories.
Sorry I am going to miss Fridays breakfast
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Wholeheartedly agree that thanks are due.

The fact that he comes on the forum and lets us all know what's going on is much appreciated. Without his updates, I think a lot of us would have been lost as to what was going on in the current session.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Venit, Vidit, Vicit.

Multas gratias vobis ago.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Yes, many thanks are in order to Charles, Alice and the rest of Team Texas 2A!!! Another outstanding effort from all of you.

Thank you all so much. :txflag:
TSRA Life Memeber

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Thanks!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

As a member of a institution of higher education, I thank you as well for pushing these over the finish line. Please extend my thanks to anyone else who was working behind the scenes or just simply wasn't as visible to this group as you were. We should be proud of what we've accomplished this year, although not quite as much as we wanted, we got both of these big ticket high profile bills through.

Now give me a wave. :thewave

Thank you sir! :tiphat:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

I posted in another thread but feel like the thanks needs to be repeated.

Charles, thank you, Alice, TSRA, The NRA, and all of those that worked behind the scenes for all of your hard work during this trying and frustrating legislative session. I would also like to thank Mrs. Cotton for allowing Charles the time away from home to work so diligently in something that has become his passion.

I would also like to thank those on the forum that were able to keep everyone else so informed. I, for one, did not have the time to keep up with all that was going on and was only able to check in once or twice a day so your diligence is much appreciated.

Now, after a few days rest, we need to start now looking toward the next session and what we want to accomplish (I will start another thread on this later).
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

Many thanks.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

Many thanks.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Thank you sir!
Your actions set a fine example.
Happy Trails!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Charles, you have my thanks for your commitment and manifold efforts regarding Second Amendment issues, particularly here in the great state of Texas. My thanks are also extended to leadership in the NRA and TSRA as well for their abilities to work on behalf of gun owners and mobilize them to stand up in support for expanded (restored) rights. Beyond advocacy, I also want to thank you, Charles, for this forum / community that is such an outstanding resource for those of us who have chosen to be a part of "polite society". May God bless your continued efforts.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

toddlinder

Post by toddlinder »

Much thanks to Charles, Alice and TSRA!

miversen1

Post by miversen1 »

I add my thanks to the pile coming your way. Thank you.

Mike I

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”