Failed Attempt to Rebuke Lawmakers Riles Texas GOP

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Failed Attempt to Rebuke Lawmakers Riles Texas GOP

Post by joe817 »

RPBrown wrote:I am in full agreement with your post, personally I think we were very lucky to get anything passed and thank the NRA & TSRA for sticking with it. They very well could have walked away and let the blame fall on others.
:iagree:

Looking at the bills Stickland authored or co-authored, I would be curious to know if any of them went anywhere, not just 2A bills either. If I get some time I may research this[/quote]

Of the 14 bills he authored, 14 never made it out of committee:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... 765#author" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
juno106
Posts in topic: 3

RINOs migrate to North Carolina

Post by juno106 »

My original premise was not just a "single Stickland", but that if every RINO could have been replaced by "Stickand", 2A would have been much more successful this Session.

I stand by that belief. Point being, elections matter. Texans "could" have have refused to elect individuals who were lukewarm-at-best on 2A, with individuals who were unabashedly strong proponents of 2A.

Seems "RINO'ism" is spreading:

GOP FOLDS, STANDS WITH GABBY GIFFORDS FOR HANDGUN RESTRICTIONS
What Giffords & Co. describe as good news is really bad news for North Carolinians, who will now be forced to continue begging government officials for permission to buy a handgun for self-defense, unless the state senate stands up and fights for the freedom spurned by GOP reps.
So, in 2016, just think about the type of House you want. One full of Sticklands, or one again full of RINO's.

Who knows? Maybe Republican voters in Texas like the idea of purchase permits.

It's your choice.

Ipconfig

Re: RINOs migrate to North Carolina

Post by Ipconfig »

juno106 wrote:My original premise was not just a "single Stickland", but that if every RINO could have been replaced by "Stickand", 2A would have been much more successful this Session.

I stand by that belief. Point being, elections matter. Texans "could" have have refused to elect individuals who were lukewarm-at-best on 2A, with individuals who were unabashedly strong proponents of 2A.

What Giffords & Co. describe as good news is really bad news for North Carolinians, who will now be forced to continue begging government officials for permission to buy a handgun for self-defense, unless the state senate stands up and fights for the freedom spurned by GOP reps.
So, in 2016, just think about the type of House you want. One full of Sticklands, or one again full of RINO's.

It's your choice.
I would rather vote Democrat than ever vote for anyone closely resembling Stickland.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

juno106 wrote:My original premise was not just a "single Stickland", but that if every RINO could have been replaced by "Stickand", 2A would have been much more successful this Session.

It's your choice.
As a former Tarheel who made the mistake of moving to NJ for 2 years, I can tell you firsthand that the permit-to-purchase requirements in NC are nothing like NJ. Yes, I would like to see the permit system go away in NC, but in my nearly 20 years living in NC, I don't know of a single person ever denied a permit. I never had to "beg". Fill out a form, wait a few days (5 days, not more, not less, IIRC), pick up permits (up to 5 at a time, IIRC). It was a formality. Permits were good for as long as the person that signed them held office. The goal seemed to be twofold. 1. background check and 2. To assure that a private purchaser was not a prohibited person. If you sold a gun privately, you had to retain one "permit" from the buyer. Honestly, I liked that part.... I never had to worry whether the guy I was selling a gun to was a felon. I wish there was an easier way to accomplish the same thing. How many of you require a buyer to show you a CHL?

In NJ it can take up to 6 months to receive "permission" to purchase a long gun (no long gun permit is required in NC), after fingerprinting (not required in NC), a background check, possible "interviews" and more "paperwork", assuming you are not denied. Once you are approved to purchase a long gun, only then can you apply again for permission to purchase a handgun. You can buy ONE handgun every 30 days and each one requires a new application and new permit. And the permission is only valid for 90 days.

Comparing NJ law to the NC system is pure ignorance.
http://www.nj2as.com/NJFID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It's your choice.
North Carolina has nothing to do with Texas and most gun owners don't buy your definition of "RINO." What you call RINOs passed open-carry while Stickland's Bill and Huffines' Bill didn't even get a hearing. Yes, I want Republicans who can get our bills passed, not loud-mouths who can only make noise.

Chas.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

It's your choice.
North Carolina has nothing to do with Texas and most gun owners don't buy your definition of "RINO." What you call RINOs passed open-carry while Stickland's Bill and Huffines' Bill didn't even get a hearing. Yes, I want Republicans who can get our bills passed, not loud-mouths who can only make noise.

Chas.
The Strickland/OTC, , et al, approach is full of sound and fury that fails to produce the desired results. They aimed for unlicensed carry and missed. Awesome fail.

Cotton/NRA, et al, aimed small and missed small, and had good effect on target.

I find it easy to see which approach works.

Thanks Charles, et al.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

It's your choice.
Because Stickland got so much done I think I will have to ..., oh wait not one of Stickland's bills made it out of committee and all he did was complicate things that didn't need complicating. When God was passing out manners Stickland that he said 'nanners and ate all of his. "rlol"

I guess I will have to support candidates that will support my position on legislation and not make an rear end out of themselves so that maybe they can get their (read my) legislation passed. One can be dedicated, One can show that dedication, and one can do it in a polite manner that does not make enemies.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

oljames3 wrote:The Strickland/OTC, , et al, approach is full of sound and fury that fails to produce the desired results. They aimed for unlicensed carry and missed. Awesome fail.

Cotton/NRA, et al, aimed small and missed small, and had good effect on target.

I find it easy to see which approach works.

Thanks Charles, et al.

I truly want to see all of Chapter 46 repealed. I do not believe I could ever get a law through to do so all at once. I do believe we got into gun rights trouble a little at a time and we will do our best to get out of it the same way. I don't agree with everything the NRA has done, or even the TSRA, but I do know what organizations have been most effective in getting laws passed in recent years to help us out. I think I will continue to support the TSRA and NRA and work however Charles asks. Based on track records, it appears to me to be the way to go.
Steve Rothstein

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Stickland's biggest accomplishment was that he almost killed open carry. When he took credit for the Dutton amendment (which he had nothing to do with) and then alluded to it being an end-around form of unlicensed carry, he gave those solidly opposed the ammunition that they desperately needed and wanted. I have no doubt that the NRA & TSRA saved the day.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

TexasCajun wrote:Stickland's biggest accomplishment was that he almost killed open carry. When he took credit for the Dutton amendment (which he had nothing to do with) and then alluded to it being an end-around form of unlicensed carry, he gave those solidly opposed the ammunition that they desperately needed and wanted. I have no doubt that the NRA & TSRA saved the day.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

TexasCajun wrote:Stickland's biggest accomplishment was that he almost killed open carry. When he took credit for the Dutton amendment (which he had nothing to do with) and then alluded to it being an end-around form of unlicensed carry, he gave those solidly opposed the ammunition that they desperately needed and wanted. I have no doubt that the NRA & TSRA saved the day.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Yep, the guy may want the same changes to the law that we all want. But there is a reason that I'm not a politician and there is a reason why Stickland should not be a politician.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Ruark
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Ruark »

TexasCajun wrote:Stickland's biggest accomplishment was that he almost killed open carry.
He actually voted NO in the final vote. I wonder how many OCT members realize that.
-Ruark

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Ruark wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Stickland's biggest accomplishment was that he almost killed open carry.
He actually voted NO in the final vote. I wonder how many OCT members realize that.

Are you sure about that? I thought he continued to argue for unlicensed open carry but voted for licensed at the end.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Ruark wrote:
No he didn't.

https://legiscan.com/TX/rollcall/HB910/id/454308

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”