IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#31

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm

well i purchased it a few weeks ago just to be safe. the way i figure it, if i ever do have to use my gun for self defense, I'm going to court regardless and legal fees would cost more than i care to afford. im not exactly well off... so for me its a good investment
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12006
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#32

Post by C-dub » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 am

Grundy1133 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm
well i purchased it a few weeks ago just to be safe. the way i figure it, if i ever do have to use my gun for self defense, I'm going to court regardless and legal fees would cost more than i care to afford. im not exactly well off... so for me its a good investment
If you do have to use your gun and IF they will actually cover your costs for that event. Insurance companies are notoriously stingy about when they will spend money and will look for any excuse to not pay up when it is for someone else. I hope you're only out the cost of your premium.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3269
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#33

Post by chasfm11 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am

C-dub wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 am
Grundy1133 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm
well i purchased it a few weeks ago just to be safe. the way i figure it, if i ever do have to use my gun for self defense, I'm going to court regardless and legal fees would cost more than i care to afford. im not exactly well off... so for me its a good investment
If you do have to use your gun and IF they will actually cover your costs for that event. Insurance companies are notoriously stingy about when they will spend money and will look for any excuse to not pay up when it is for someone else. I hope you're only out the cost of your premium.
:iagree:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#34

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 am

C-dub wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 am
Grundy1133 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm
well i purchased it a few weeks ago just to be safe. the way i figure it, if i ever do have to use my gun for self defense, I'm going to court regardless and legal fees would cost more than i care to afford. im not exactly well off... so for me its a good investment
If you do have to use your gun and IF they will actually cover your costs for that event. Insurance companies are notoriously stingy about when they will spend money and will look for any excuse to not pay up when it is for someone else. I hope you're only out the cost of your premium.
TX LawShield
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12006
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#35

Post by C-dub » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 am

Grundy1133 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 am
C-dub wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 am
Grundy1133 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm
well i purchased it a few weeks ago just to be safe. the way i figure it, if i ever do have to use my gun for self defense, I'm going to court regardless and legal fees would cost more than i care to afford. im not exactly well off... so for me its a good investment
If you do have to use your gun and IF they will actually cover your costs for that event. Insurance companies are notoriously stingy about when they will spend money and will look for any excuse to not pay up when it is for someone else. I hope you're only out the cost of your premium.
TX LawShield
???

Here’s a few thoughts from some others.
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2842359
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member


cirus
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#36

Post by cirus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:45 am

This crap is the reason I avoid people as much as possible. Right or wrong means nothing anymore. Money is all that counts. I know lawyers are necessary but anyone that take a case like this has no morals.


NNT
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#37

Post by NNT » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 am

I have friends who are lawyers, and they do have some morals. Mostly they are in tax and patent law. When the argument is made that the lawyer is loyal to the client at all costs for the most aggressive representation, then for good or bad there is a similarity to prostitutes. The opinion or judgement of the person being hired does not come into play. They do whatever they are paid to do. They maybe even get more money for getting the client off.

The judges need to use common sense and toss these cases. If not already law I would support creating one that says if you are injured in the act if committing a crime, no civil lawsuit can be brought.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 10697
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#38

Post by Oldgringo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 am

Abraham wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 am
"This is why people sign up for concealed carry legal protection / insurance."

Better be certain you understand 'what isn't covered' if you decide to buy this stuff.

You could be horribly surprised to find all the premiums you paid...don't cover much of your legal costs, while the rest of the fees involved not covered come directly out of YOUR pocket.

So those of you feel comfortably covered ...may actually not be
Additionally, maybe one should not be in a really big rush to the gun. As right as one may be, one can count on some fee grabbing, ambulance chasing lawyer somewhere wanting alleged victim to sue somebody (one) for big buckaroo$. The moral of this comment is: be prepared for the act/s of doing right to be very co$tly?

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6040
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#39

Post by Pawpaw » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:58 pm

NNT wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 am
I have friends who are lawyers, and they do have some morals. Mostly they are in tax and patent law. When the argument is made that the lawyer is loyal to the client at all costs for the most aggressive representation, then for good or bad there is a similarity to prostitutes. The opinion or judgement of the person being hired does not come into play. They do whatever they are paid to do. They maybe even get more money for getting the client off.

The judges need to use common sense and toss these cases. If not already law I would support creating one that says if you are injured in the act if committing a crime, no civil lawsuit can be brought.
You can't deny someone's ability to file a civil suit, but in Texas, the outcome is a forgone conclusion:
CPRC §83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY.
A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 10697
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#40

Post by Oldgringo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:58 pm
NNT wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 am
I have friends who are lawyers, and they do have some morals. Mostly they are in tax and patent law. When the argument is made that the lawyer is loyal to the client at all costs for the most aggressive representation, then for good or bad there is a similarity to prostitutes. The opinion or judgement of the person being hired does not come into play. They do whatever they are paid to do. They maybe even get more money for getting the client off.

The judges need to use common sense and toss these cases. If not already law I would support creating one that says if you are injured in the act if committing a crime, no civil lawsuit can be brought.
You can't deny someone's ability to file a civil suit, but in Texas, the outcome is a forgone conclusion:
CPRC §83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY.
A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
The argument could drag out for day$ over, "as applicable". While every case seems to be alike, they all are different.

I hope to do what is best for me and mine at the time, and in the event, of :fire . Perhaps I can help some other poor soul in the course of doing what I feel is right but, I'm to elderly to be lookin' for an opportunity to be a hero.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#41

Post by crazy2medic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 10697
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#42

Post by Oldgringo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:16 pm

crazy2medic wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 pm
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
:iagree: totally; however, in this instance the shooter was not under attack, was she?


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#43

Post by crazy2medic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:16 pm
crazy2medic wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 pm
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
:iagree: totally; however, in this instance the shooter was not under attack, was she?
True, but what kind of sorry society are we if nobody comes to the aid of those that hold the thin blue line!
I for one will go to an officers aid what ever the consequences!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#44

Post by dlh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Have no idea what Indiana law says about any of this. Would be interested in the comparative responsibility statute of that state and other issues.

Difficult to believe that case will get very far.

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: IN: Woman kills officer's attacker, now getting sued

#45

Post by Deltaboy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 pm

The Judge should throw it out , dress down the Lawyer and the Perps family for wasting the Courts time.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”