UT: pawn shop clerk kills robber. Video

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

UT: pawn shop clerk kills robber. Video

Post by ELB »

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46364143&nid=1 ... ing-robber

This happened back in April, but the police just released the store video of the attempted robbery. Robber with a gun tries to control the clerk, robber with a bag and hammer heads to another part of the store. Clerk uses own gun to shoot 1st robber and ends up in struggle, which the robber loses as he bleeds out. 2nd robber escapes but is later apprehended in Texas. Surviving Robber is being prosecuted in federal court for a string of robberies.

USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: UT: pawn shop clerk kills robber. Video

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I suspect the clerk did not have a round in the chamber. It appears he racked the slide, possibly twice. It also looks like at least one round missed, based upon papers flying from the desk.

Chas.

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

But did you notice the way he bladed himself to the robber and slipped into the back room giving himself time to pull his gun. I didn't see him working the slide, but couldn't say he didn't. In any case, he used good tactics to hide the drawing of his weapon.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

He obviously hit a major artery based on all the blood on the guy's hand when he was running to the other room.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 pm I suspect the clerk did not have a round in the chamber. It appears he racked the slide, possibly twice. It also looks like at least one round missed, based upon papers flying from the desk.

Chas.
When are people going to learn? If you’re afraid to carry with a round in the chamber, you should carry a revolver, or you’re just setting yourself up for a bad time. Had he a round in the chamber, he might maybe have entirely avoided having to go to ground with the guy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

stroo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:04 pm But did you notice the way he bladed himself to the robber and slipped into the back room giving himself time to pull his gun. I didn't see him working the slide, but couldn't say he didn't. In any case, he used good tactics to hide the drawing of his weapon.
Yes, he was on the ball as far as using the chance offered by the robber's closing the door to slip into the other room and get ready.

You can slow the video down to .25 normal speed, and see the pawnshop guy rack the slide. He did get that done before the robber rounded the corner so pawn guy was ready to put a bullet into the robber and did so. But then it appears his gun malf'd, as he did another slide rack and fired a round that went into the counter. Whether that missed the robber or passed through I don't know.
USAF 1982-2005

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Active Self Protection's breakdown of what happened. We got some it right, and some of it wrong....

https://youtu.be/tEBwzBvZ1mk
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm Active Self Protection's breakdown of what happened. We got some it right, and some of it wrong....

https://youtu.be/tEBwzBvZ1mk
I watched this video and I still think he racked the slide twice. Once when he went into the room and immediately after drawing. Then he racked it again when it malfunctioned. I don't doubt that the man thought he only did it once. Under such stress, you are not making accurate short term memory. If he really didn't rack the slide, then he certainly put his weak hand on the slide as though he was racking it.

Chas.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I agree that he racked at least once, what surprised me is that I thought he retrieved the pistol from the office; nope - he had it on him. The movement into the office was tactical. I originally under counted his number of shots fired by 1.
His guardian angel is probably on prozac right now; not having a round chambered when he had the element of surprise in the office was bad, not having a round chambered if he had chosen to draw and engage before ducking into the office would probably have ended badly.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm
I watched this video and I still think he racked the slide twice...
Chas.
You are right. I watched this yet again on both slow and normal speeds, and he definitely make the racking motion a 2nd time, just before the papers fly out from the counter.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Man you guys are good. All I saw was him go into the other room and the papers fly. Then they other guy left.

But yes concealing your draw is very important as the bad guys have a lot to do and be looking for.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Very interesting videos!

It shows that, while rare, a determined attacker can continue to fight on for a time even when mortally wounded. I like how John Correia points out that the defender was intelligent in feigning compliance and setting up a counter-ambush. Perfect moves in this scenario. Defender could have used some more aggressive combative skills in that moment where the bad guy didn't go down. Fighting is fighting and relying exclusively on a firearm for self-defense isn't the best course of action. Even if you know jiu jitsu, knives are a good option when you're on the ground fighting for your life like this. Fixed blades that can be deployed quickly rule ground fights. The defender should have also not left the room without at least 1 gun. My eye's almost popped out when I saw that. :shock: He wasn't thinking clearly in that moment and took unnecessary risks.

What a nightmare day at work! Glad everything worked out for the armed citizen!! God Bless :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

What I don't understand from John's interview with the defender is the defender
stated that he didn't have a round chambered since he had just dropped his daughter
off at school.

What should that have to do with carrying with a loaded chamber?

By the way, the defender's gun was a Glock 43, IIRC 9MM with 6 + 1 capacity.
He put 4 rounds in the BG, who physically attacked him. If the defender had
retained the 43, he would have had just 3 rounds to fight off the 2nd BG.

The second BG booked out the door, but the point I'm making is that multiple
attackers in a robbery situation is more and more common. IMHO, I would not
be comfortable with only 7 rounds on hand. YMMV.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:25 pm What I don't understand from John's interview with the defender is the defender
stated that he didn't have a round chambered since he had just dropped his daughter
off at school.

What should that have to do with carrying with a loaded chamber?
My guess is he disarmed to drop off his daughter and his routine is to have an empty chamber if the gun is not on his body. That's just a guess though. I also don't know if he has a Utah license or just carries at work. In Utah, public schools are not off limits to people with a concealed firearm permit.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Correction to my post above: the defender had only 6 rounds of 9MM
in his Glock 43, since he had zero in the pipe. If he had to fire at BG2,
he would have only 2 rounds remaining, not 3.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”