FL: Self defense shooter ends up arrested

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

FL: Self defense shooter ends up arrested

Post by philip964 »

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021 ... olice-say/

So complicated you will need to make notes.

Robber tries an armed robbery at an atm with two armed friends waiting in the wings. Atm man uses his gun in self defense, killing robber. The other two fire at the Atm man.

The three who are alive all face charges.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FL: Self defense shooter ends up arrested

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:18 am https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021 ... olice-say/

Robber tries an armed robbery at an atm with two armed friends waiting in the wings. Atm man uses his gun in self defense, killing robber. The other two fire at the Atm man.

It sounds like the intended victim went back to the scene and finished off the guy trying to rob him. That falls outside of self defense. The other two are being charged under laws that hold all participants responsible if anyone dies during the crime. I think anyway.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:01 am
philip964 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:18 am https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021 ... olice-say/

It sounds like the intended victim went back to the scene and finished off the guy trying to rob him. That falls outside of self defense. The other two are being charged under laws that hold all participants responsible if anyone dies during the crime. I think anyway.
And in a final twist, the ME rules he was dead before he fired the extra ten shots (with the dead guys own gun) into his body.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:09 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:01 am

And in a final twist, the ME rules he was dead before he fired the extra ten shots (with the dead guys own gun) into his body.
It appeared he was dead in the video and now that the ME confirms it what is the charge for shooting a dead person? Desecrating a corpse? Wasting precious ammunition? Putting bullets holes in the bricks?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Don't know what the applicable Florida statute is; in Texas I would guess these would apply

TPC 42.08(a)(1)
and
Discharging a firearm within city limits?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”