Legal NJ Gun Stops Robbery

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Legal NJ Gun Stops Robbery

Post by RoyGBiv »

No charges filed against Newark deli owner who shot and killed would-be robber, authorities say
No charges have been filed against a city business owner who shot and killed an armed man trying to rob his deli Tuesday night, authorities said.

According to Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray and Newark Police Director Eugene Venable, the unidentified owner had a permit for the gun he used to kill Mark Robinson inside the New Neighborhood Deli Supermarket on Irvine Turner Boulevard.

Authorities say Robinson, 46, walked into the business at around 8:30 p.m. and pointed a gun at the owner, who quickly returned fire.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mr1337

Re: Legal NJ Gun Stops Robbery

Post by mr1337 »

Allegedly, the robber's last words were: “I thought you couldn’t own a gun in New Jersey.”

http://alternativemediasyndicate.com/20 ... ew-jersey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meaning that gun control doesn't work against criminals. It actually seeks to help criminals prey on the law-abiding.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

^^^ I didn't post that intentionally... Interesting, but unsubstantiated....
Would be very convincing "testimony" if true.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Yeah, that's why I put "allegedly." It doesn't sound likely, but it's not all that far-fetched.

Even still, the robber did not expect his target to be armed.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gljjt »

mr1337 wrote:Allegedly, the robber's last words were: “I thought you couldn’t own a gun in New Jersey.”
That's funny. I don't care who you are - Larry the Cable Guy

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

What I don't buy is that they're not prosecuting the Deli owner. We'll see if what they're doing is just waiting to indict until the incident is out of the news...which is what I expect. This is The People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey after-all.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VMI77 wrote:What I don't buy is that they're not prosecuting the Deli owner. We'll see if what they're doing is just waiting to indict until the incident is out of the news...which is what I expect. This is The People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey after-all.
Prosecuting for what? What charge are you thinking will be made?
If I understood the story right, the shooter had a "permit" for the gun.. Or did i get that wrong?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Article is misleading. In NJ you need a "permit to purchase" a handgun. It can take 6 months to have a permit approved by local PD. Each handgun requires a new permit to purchase (called a P2P). There is no permit to carry in NJ. It exists but you have to prove need to a superior court judge and nobody can prove need. One guy was kidnapped by a gang twice (misidentification) and escaped twice. The gang was still after him. No permit. The judge told him to move.

But you are allowed to possess a handgun at your home or at your place of business that you own. So the deli owner was able to possess a handgun at work.

He probably had purchased the handgun using a P2P but had no carry permit.

Remember those of us behind the iron curtain in NJ.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

E.Marquez wrote:
VMI77 wrote:What I don't buy is that they're not prosecuting the Deli owner. We'll see if what they're doing is just waiting to indict until the incident is out of the news...which is what I expect. This is The People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey after-all.
Prosecuting for what? What charge are you thinking will be made?
If I understood the story right, the shooter had a "permit" for the gun.. Or did i get that wrong?
Knows.....some kind of murder/manslaughter charge....based on some nonsense like a duty to retreat? This is New Jersey we're talking about. The prosecutor can make up whatever charges he wants. It may not happen but it would be a long time before I'd rest easy if I was the shooter.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”