Oklahoma CHL saves LEO's life

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Oklahoma CHL saves LEO's life

Post by A-R »

Unending kudos to this CHL for saving this LEO's life.

:tiphat: :clapping: :patriot:

Only minor bit of advice I'd give is this:

If you see a bad guy striking a good guy in the head with a blunt weapon ...

- don't command him to stop
- don't threaten to shoot

SHOOT HIM. RIGHT NOW. PERIOD.

Because the next blow to the head could be fatal.
During the chase the two officers became separated. Eller found himself alone when he caught up to Jermaine in a driveway of a nearby home and as he tried to place him under arrest, a fight ensued. During the struggle, Jermaine was able to take Eller’s police baton and then proceeded to strike him over the head somewhere between six and 12 times.

Then during the attack, a witness –who was armed with a handgun– ran up to the two and pointed it at the suspect. He yelled for Jermaine to stop his assault on Eller and if he didn’t, he would shoot him.

The assault stopped, and both suspects were eventually taken into custody.

http://concealednation.org/2015/05/arme ... ith-baton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oklahoma CHL saves LEO's life

Post by joe817 »

The actions of that armed citizen with a carry permit probably saved the LEO's life. Chalk one up for the good guys! :clapping:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Good fellow citizen doing what's right. Some folks would have started videoing. Some folks would have walked on by. Some would have run away. Some would have dialed 911. It's always good to read about real men doing what real men do. Stopping evil in it's tracks.
III

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

A-R wrote:Unending kudos to this CHL for saving this LEO's life.

:iagree: Save everyone some money.

Besides, as A-R said, one more blow could be the fatal one. He could get one more blow in if he wanted to before the decision to take the shot could actually happen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:

Besides, as A-R said, one more blow could be the fatal one. He could get one more blow in if he wanted to before the decision to take the shot could actually happen.
Potentially bad advice.

With someone in striking distance of another person, taking a shot would more than likely be a bad choice as you could hit the victim and not the perp.

If the guy stops when commanded, then you are much better off as it will save a Grand Jury review of the shooting.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Potentially bad advice.

With someone in striking distance of another person, taking a shot would more than likely be a bad choice as you could hit the victim and not the perp.

If the guy stops when commanded, then you are much better off as it will save a Grand Jury review of the shooting.
Of course, there are other factors to consider rather than just blasting away. And this did end well as it is, but it could have been worse if the guy didn't obey the command from a non-LEO.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

Another LEO saved by a citizen who refused to just call 911 and be a good witness. Hope there are a lot more like him out there.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Amazing story, I'm so glad it ended the way it did and the CHL wasn't shot by back up. I hope the officer didn't suffer permanent damage.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

jmra

Post by jmra »

CHLLady wrote:Amazing story, I'm so glad it ended the way it did and the CHL wasn't shot by back up. I hope the officer didn't suffer permanent damage.
Has a CHL assisting LEO ever been shot by backup? I've seen a number of examples where a CHL has saved the life of an officer but never seen a case where a CHL was shot by police while rendering aid.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:Another LEO saved by a citizen who refused to just call 911 and be a good witness. Hope there are a lot more like him out there.

:iagree:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I'm pleased to hear there are still good citizens out there that will take action vs recording the fight on their cell phone.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Keith B wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Potentially bad advice.

Good point. I guess I assume it's understood (generally speaking) you never take a shot you're not certain will hit its mark, especially in such close quarters scenario.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

A-R wrote:
Good point. I guess I assume it's understood (generally speaking) you never take a shot you're not certain will hit its mark, especially in such close quarters scenario.
That's the whole thing; some people do not think about their surroundings like what's beyond their target and the probability of a 'shoot through' of their round passing through the perp . This happens even with LEO's who get tunnel vision when firing at their suspect and forget to consider the surroundings and collateral damage.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Keith B wrote:
A-R wrote:
That's the whole thing; some people do not think about their surroundings like what's beyond their target and the probability of a 'shoot through' of their round passing through the perp . This happens even with LEO's who get tunnel vision when firing at their suspect and forget to consider the surroundings and collateral damage.
Agreed. The shooter in such a situation must place themself in position to make an effective shot without collateral damage. Or, leaving the "shooting" realm briefly, the "rescuer" (for lack of better word) must place themself in a position to take immediate and decisive physical action to stop the lethal threat. If physically able, tackling the bad guy like a linebacker could work too - but you better have the skill and physical ability to win a ground fight.

My whole point is that such a lethal threat requires decisive and immediate physical interaction. When someone is being repeatedly struck in the head with a blunt weapon, there is simply no time for words.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Of the many factors that come into play in a situation like this among what has already been mentioned is whether or not the person actually has the ability to make such a shot. The consequences can be far more devastating if unsuccessful for both the officer and good samaritan. Knowing one's limitations and confidence in the ability that you do have are critical in situations like this.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”