TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6129
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#1

Post by ELB » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:34 am

Around 9 p.m., the neighbor shot the 40-year-old man after he caught him breaking into his home on Cypress North Houston Road and Cathy Drive, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

A neighbor told police this isn't the first time the 40-year-old suspect has tried to break into the home and the neighbor had enough of it. The homeowner who shot the suspect cooperated and waited for police to arrive.
http://www.chron.com/houston/article/Sh ... o-11233783
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#2

Post by Jusme » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:44 am

That will definitely make someone reconsider their career choice. :cryin
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1755
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#3

Post by Flightmare » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am

Jusme wrote:That will definitely make someone reconsider their career choice. :cryin
This information makes me NEVER want to attempt to break into this man's home!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10669
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#4

Post by Oldgringo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 am

Hmmm, did he miss his eye or what?


FastCarry
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#5

Post by FastCarry » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:18 am

Oldgringo wrote:Hmmm, did he miss his eye or what?

Ive never been shot *knocks on wood* but I bet a headshot hurts less than a manberry shot.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#6

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am

Shot placement. :shock: Wow!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23712
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#7

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:38 pm

FastCarry wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Hmmm, did he miss his eye or what?
Ive never been shot *knocks on wood* but I bet a headshot hurts less than a manberry shot.
I've actually seen it a couple of times, and yes, the word "uncomfortable" is far too mild a word. [lol]manberry!!![/lol] "rlol"
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 11968
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#8

Post by C-dub » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 pm

No warning shots. Okay, that was a good one. But still
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member

User avatar

Skiprr
Moderator
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6458
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Outskirts of Houston

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#9

Post by Skiprr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Just a note that, if my handgun has to be deployed while I'm at manual-engagement range (i.e., "bad breath distance"), the pelvic girdle is going to be my primary target. Several solid reasons for this, but since TAM (and others on the Forum) had to stand on a range several years ago for an hour listening to me pontificate on the subject--and I don't want to make them suffer again--suffice it to say that I think the old "rock and lock" pistol presentation technique went out with disco. That the pistol is going to stay pressed against my ribcage, unsighted, indexed at a point somewhere between the bad guy's navel and the top of his thighs until I can extricate myself by at least five feet.

Not knowing more about the specifics of the incident, it may very well be that the homeowner went through some of the same training as me during the last 15 years. It sounds ludicrous for that to be a sighted shot (ignoring Hollywood) but could quite realistically happen at contact distances. I wonder how many rounds were fired?

Thank you once again, Houston Chronicle, for giving us nothing but a headline and about 100 vacuous words that tell us next to nothing...then failing to follow-up on the next-to-nothing over a day later.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member


Alf
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#10

Post by Alf » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:18 pm

"unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation"

:fire

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23712
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#11

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Skiprr wrote:.....but since TAM (and others on the Forum) had to stand on a range several years ago for an hour listening to me pontificate on the subject.....
And you should know that I've never forgotten either the demonstration, or the lesson. In fact, TAW and I were talking about it just a few days ago. That, and the "get off the X" exercise we did that day.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#12

Post by WTR » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 pm

One Range Officer I knew recommended the pelvic girdle to stop a person . He emphasized "breaking bone".

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 11968
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#13

Post by C-dub » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 pm

IIRC, if one can break or fracture the pubic symphysis the whole thing comes crashing down. Or at least can't put up any more of a fight because it is kinda like the superglue that holds the foundation together. Or something like that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23712
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#14

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:28 pm

WTR wrote:One Range Officer I knew recommended the pelvic girdle to stop a person . He emphasized "breaking bone".
There is a LOT going on inside the pelvic girdle, and while you might well break bone, it may not be necessary. The descending aorta bifurcates into the two femoral arteries. The internal structures of the genitalia and urinary tract. The ascending and descending colon. Major nerves. Etc., etc. Put a bullet into someone's bladder, and the spasms alone ought to drop them like a microphone. Hit a sciatic, femoral, or pudendal nerve, and the fight's probably over.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Skiprr
Moderator
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6458
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Outskirts of Houston

Re: TX: Fed-up homeowner shoots would be thief neighbor in the groin

#15

Post by Skiprr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:41 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Skiprr wrote:.....but since TAM (and others on the Forum) had to stand on a range several years ago for an hour listening to me pontificate on the subject.....
And you should know that I've never forgotten either the demonstration, or the lesson. In fact, TAW and I were talking about it just a few days ago. That, and the "get off the X" exercise we did that day.
The demonstration in which some smartalec in the class had years of Shotokan experience? ;-)

TAW was in that class? And I didn't know enough to even say "hello"? Arrrgh!

Please tell your lovely wife--whom I met but didn't know it--that I hope we all might meet again.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”