FL: Home invasion repelled with superior firepower

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

FL: Home invasion repelled with superior firepower

Post by ELB »

Deputies: 30 rounds fired from AR-15 in deadly Florida home invasion
GLEN ST. MARY, Fla - Three men say they were asleep inside a mobile home in Glen St. Mary about 4 a.m. Sunday when they heard a voice outside yell “Sheriff’s Office!” before the front door burst open.

In stormed a masked gunman who fired off a single round before two of the men inside, one armed with an AR-15 rifle and the other with a handgun, emerged from two bedrooms and opened fire. Those details surfaced Tuesday when the Baker County Sheriff’s Office released an arrest report linked to this weekend’s home invasion turned deadly triple shooting.

The victims told deputies they acted in self-defense when they turned their guns on the intruders, with one of them estimating he fired over 30 rounds from an AR-15 before the threat was over.

The Sheriff's Office said the five individuals charged in the case were among a group of seven that went to the mobile home that morning to confront and fight the group staying there.
So far this one makes me a bit twitchy, but a followup article notes the following:
The Sheriff's Office said the five were among seven masked individuals armed with guns who barged into a mobile home on County Road 125 about 4 a.m. to confront four people staying there over a feud.

"The feud was fueled by derogatory and threatening rhetoric between the two groups on social media platforms and eventually escalated to this shooting," the Sheriff's Office wrote on Facebook.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/5-arreste ... y-shootout

I guess skipping the "Like" button wasn't enough...
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FL: Home invasion repelled with superior firepower

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

According to my wife, skipping the "like" button is fightin words!

In all seriousness though, this is something I worry about where BG's will announce that they are LEO's. Could lead to a very tricky judgment call. Are they just at the wrong house, or is this really a home invasion?

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:According to my wife, skipping the "like" button is fightin words!

In all seriousness though, this is something I worry about where BG's will announce that they are LEO's. Could lead to a very tricky judgment call. Are they just at the wrong house, or is this really a home invasion?
Which is exactly why "no-knock" raids should be illegal.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:According to my wife, skipping the "like" button is fightin words!

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING! How you you supposed to know???? :confused5
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TreyHouston wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING! How you you supposed to know???? :confused5
Also, I can’t help but think that 99 times out of 100, everyone concerned would have been better served if police simply surround the home and used a megaphone to call the individual out. Where’s he going to go? Eventually, he has to come out. Better yet, set up in concealment down the street and wait for the subject to leave the house of his own accord, and arrest him out in public where he has no fortress around himself. In the meantime, use that time waiting to double and triple check that you’re at the right address.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:

Also, I can’t help but think that 99 times out of 100, everyone concerned would have been better served if police simply surround the home and used a megaphone to call the individual out. Where’s he going to go? Eventually, he has to come out. Better yet, set up in concealment down the street and wait for the subject to leave the house of his own accord, and arrest him out in public where he has no fortress around himself. In the meantime, use that time waiting to double and triple check that you’re at the right address.
You mean like in Waco where the ATF could have just picked up Koresh on one of his morning jogs?

Simple answer. It's hard to justify the need for a SWAT team unless you use them from time to time.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:

You mean like in Waco where the ATF could have just picked up Koresh on one of his morning jogs?

Simple answer. It's hard to justify the need for a SWAT team unless you use them from time to time.
Yep. BTW, I am not suggesting that there is no need for a PD to have some kind of response team that is trained and equipped to a higher level, for the rare occasion when there really IS a need. But the problem with too many PDs is that SWAT is like their hammer, and when you have a hammer, pretty soon everything looks like a nail.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:

Yep. BTW, I am not suggesting that there is no need for a PD to have some kind of response team that is trained and equipped to a higher level, for the rare occasion when there really IS a need. But the problem with too many PDs is that SWAT is like their hammer, and when you have a hammer, pretty soon everything looks like a nail.
That made me think of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sqfYPRrc2M
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”