OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

Post by bblhd672 »

Bryan Whittle Discusses Stopping Oklahoma Shooter
https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/arti ... paign=0818

Two good guys with guns...one stopped the shooter.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

Post by Paladin »

bblhd672 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm Bryan Whittle Discusses Stopping Oklahoma Shooter
https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/arti ... paign=0818

Two good guys with guns...one stopped the shooter.
Great Article! Both good guys are a true heroes. Glad Bryan can be so honest and detailed with his statements. There is a lot we can learn from his experience if we follow his successes and avoid his mistakes.
"Bryan racked the handgun and maneuvered between parked cars as panicked victims identified him as a good guy and began directing him to the shooter. “They just knew,” he said. Bryan used the cars as cover and concealment until he was in position to draw down on the shooter.
Carrying on an empty chamber didn't get him killed, since he remembered to rack the pistol. Using cars as cover and concealment until Bryan was in position was excellent.
“Get on the ground!” he yelled repeatedly, keeping the pistol trained on the gunman. The gunman didn’t acknowledge him. “All I was focused on was his hands. He wasn’t responding.”

Bryan said he thought the man’s ear protection may have muffled the commands. Wanting to give the man a chance, he took his left hand off the gun to gesture at the man to put the gun down.

“I was only able to do that a few times before he looked right at me, just a blank stare, tilted his head to the side, and then started to raise his pistol.” With his left hand off the gun, Bryan felt unprepared to get a good shot and dove for cover as the perpetrator opened fire.

“I thought, ‘Oh [expletive], he’s shooting at me; he’s trying to kill me!’”
Ugh, Glad Bryan lived through this. Did he really think a guy randomly shooting at people wouldn't try to kill him to? Mindset and mental preparation is key. Bryan should have been behind cover the entire time. Bryan took a lot of personal risk to give a mass attacker a whole lot of undeserved and unnecessary chances. He had a wife to get back to.
“I’m not dying here,” Bryan remembered telling himself behind cover. “I need to engage this guy and go find him before he finds me.” He jumped up and rounded the car to confront the shooter from a different angle.

“As soon as I saw him, saw the hand, and the gun, my eyes focused there,” he said. “I knew he was going to see me, so I just continued to shoot until I saw him fall. As soon as I saw him fall, I stopped shooting, but kept walking toward him. I remember kicking the weapon away from him. Then I heard somebody say, ‘I have you covered, clear him.’ That’s the first realization that someone else was helping as well.”
Target focused shooting?
A1F: Do you feel like your training prepared you for confronting an active killer?
Bryan: ...Teaching you to move, don’t give up, stay alive, engage the target, stop the threat and get out of the situation.
Bryan was a fighter and did a good job changing position to engage the bad guy. His training was certainly a factor in his success. So glad it all worked out!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

stroo

Post by stroo »

Brave man but he should have shot the shooter when he first had the chance rather than motioning him to put his gun down. That just about got him shot.

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:44 pm
"Bryan racked the handgun and maneuvered between parked cars as panicked victims identified him as a good guy and began directing him to the shooter. “They just knew,” he said. Bryan used the cars as cover and concealment until he was in position to draw down on the shooter.
Carrying on an empty chamber didn't get him killed, since he remembered to rack the pistol.
Important to note that Bryan wasn't carrying on an empty chamber -- apparently he wasn't carrying (on his person) at all. His gun was in a bag that his wife retrieved and gave to him. Unless a firearm is right at hand -- and carrying in a bag not on my body would not qualify as "at hand" in my book -- not having a round chambered would make sense. Also important to note he was not under direct attack at the point he decided he needed his gun. Would have been a much different situation if the shooter had confronted Brian directly, and Brian had to retrieve the gun and rack the slide before being able to return fired
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

ELB wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 pm
Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:44 pm
Carrying on an empty chamber didn't get him killed, since he remembered to rack the pistol.
Important to note that Bryan wasn't carrying on an empty chamber -- apparently he wasn't carrying (on his person) at all. His gun was in a bag that his wife retrieved and gave to him. Unless a firearm is right at hand -- and carrying in a bag not on my body would not qualify as "at hand" in my book -- not having a round chambered would make sense. Also important to note he was not under direct attack at the point he decided he needed his gun. Would have been a much different situation if the shooter had confronted Brian directly, and Brian had to retrieve the gun and rack the slide before being able to return fired
All excellent points!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

ELB wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 am Gee. Two armed civilians independently take on the same bad guy and somehow manage not to shoot each other or anyone else (except the bad guy ;-) ) in a wild flurry of mis-aimed bullets and misidentification. And they weren't even gunned down by the police. It's a miracle. :roll:
Exactly.

I'm also surprised some haven't shown up to criticize these two for playing cops or Batman.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”