UT: Man kills burglar who entered thru garage

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

UT: Man kills burglar who entered thru garage

Post by ELB »

Read all three links to get the most info:
https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46337173
https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46338989
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46351182&nid=1 ... rdan-homer

Family hears garage door open at 5:30 in the morning. Man takes gun, goes to investigate, finds strange woman has entered house through garage using garage opener pilfered from vehicle in driveway. Man shoots and kills her. Told police she had a knife, and police found an open folding knife with her body. DA announced there would be no charges against the man.

Woman, 23, Had been released from prison last September where she served time for theft and drug offenses. She also had several warrants and had been recently arrested for having drugs in her possession.
USAF 1982-2005

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Re: UT: Man kills burglar who entered thru garage

Post by rotor »

A young girl from a drug addicted family home is dead probably trying to feed her own drug addiction. So we want to legalize more drugs. I wouldn't be surprised if the knife was planted but the shooting was appropriate in any case.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

rotor wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:26 pm A young girl from a drug addicted family home is dead probably trying to feed her own drug addiction. So we want to legalize more drugs. I wouldn't be surprised if the knife was planted but the shooting was appropriate in any case.
The war on drugs has been such a success that you're not even a little interested in trying something different?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rotor

Post by rotor »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:44 pm
rotor wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:26 pm A young girl from a drug addicted family home is dead probably trying to feed her own drug addiction. So we want to legalize more drugs. I wouldn't be surprised if the knife was planted but the shooting was appropriate in any case.
The war on drugs has been such a success that you're not even a little interested in trying something different?
I didn't say that I wanted to continue the war on drugs but do you think that making dangerously addicting drugs more available to young people is a good idea? It's good I guess if you sell the drugs to everyone like the tobacco companies have done. Having been a smoker when I was young I know how hard it is to fight the addiction of nicotine. Perhaps the Malaysian way is the way to go. I personally don't have any sympathy for people that knowingly use drugs and become addicted. Do you think the girl in this posting would be alive today if not for her drug use?

Or perhaps we should have opium dens so that the populace could be enslaved by politicians and be happy while it's being done. People will always use drugs whether legal or not and I don't care if they overdose and die or become addicted. Darwin in action. Like Russian roulette. You play the game and you may die.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

rotor wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 pm
I didn't say that I wanted to continue the war on drugs but do you think that making dangerously addicting drugs more available to young people is a good idea? It's good I guess if you sell the drugs to everyone like the tobacco companies have done. Having been a smoker when I was young I know how hard it is to fight the addiction of nicotine. Perhaps the Malaysian way is the way to go. I personally don't have any sympathy for people that knowingly use drugs and become addicted. Do you think the girl in this posting would be alive today if not for her drug use?

Or perhaps we should have opium dens so that the populace could be enslaved by politicians and be happy while it's being done. People will always use drugs whether legal or not and I don't care if they overdose and die or become addicted. Darwin in action. Like Russian roulette. You play the game and you may die.
Something to consider if one is to talk of the availability of drugs. Alcohol and tobacco are both legal but heavily regulated. It is easier for young kids to get drugs than alcohol and tobacco.

In addition. The DEA created the Heroin/Fentanyl crises by hammering on prescription pain pills. Problem was, they did the usual crappy job the government does at anything they do and created a whole generation of heroin addicts. I saw that one coming when they first started the game.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

rotor wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 pm

More available?

When my kids were in HS (recently) they could buy whatever they wanted, as long as they could pay the asking price (we talk about these things with our kids). How much more available can you get? I'll answer that myself.... Go to almost any university campus. :roll:

Passing more laws making already-illegal things "more illegal" or pretending that more laws will make drugs harder to get.... that's the same argument that anti-gun people use... Let's ban the guns, so people who make bad choices won't have guns to do bad things.

We all know that people who would do bad things with guns are going to get guns, just like people who abuse drugs are going to get drugs. So... How about we try something else? Take away the illegal market, deprive the gangs and cartels of funds. View drug abuse as the mental health issue that really is and make an effort to address it that way, ala Portugal... I'm no expert in the field, but it's plain to me that the current plan is failing miserably, despite any good intentions.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 am ...

Passing more laws making already-illegal things "more illegal" or pretending that more laws will make drugs harder to get.... that's the same argument that anti-gun people use... Let's ban the guns, so people who make bad choices won't have guns to do bad things.

Mmm hmm.

03Lightningrocks

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 am
More available?

When my kids were in HS (recently) they could buy whatever they wanted, as long as they could pay the asking price (we talk about these things with our kids). How much more available can you get? I'll answer that myself.... Go to almost any university campus. :roll:

We all know that people who would do bad things with guns are going to get guns, just like people who abuse drugs are going to get drugs. So... How about we try something else? Take away the illegal market, deprive the gangs and cartels of funds. View drug abuse as the mental health issue that really is and make an effort to address it that way, ala Portugal... I'm no expert in the field, but it's plain to me that the current plan is failing miserably, despite any good intentions.
Yep

flechero

Post by flechero »

Why would you flippantly villainize the victim of a home invasion? She may have slit his throat in his sleep just to see if he had any cash on the dresser.

I'm quite sure that the perp, was NOT a great kid, had NOT just turned her life around, did NOT just come to Christ, had NOT just enrolled in college and did NOT self identify as treyvon martin. :banghead:

rotor

Post by rotor »

You may view drug abuse as a mental health issue, I don't. I personally would not be against mandatory death penalty for sellers of drugs (not marijuana) and possession treated like some of the countries with long jail sentences like Malaysia. You would like to see state run drug outlets. I don't know which of us is correct but I don't want to see the U.S. become a huge opium den with a mindless population. They are mindless enough now.

03Lightningrocks

rotor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 am
You may view drug abuse as a mental health issue, I don't. I personally would not be against mandatory death penalty for sellers of drugs (not marijuana) and possession treated like some of the countries with long jail sentences like Malaysia. You would like to see state run drug outlets. I don't know which of us is correct but I don't want to see the U.S. become a huge opium den with a mindless population. They are mindless enough now.
Addiction, alcohol, drugs, eating or what ever one is addicted to is neither a mental "disorder" nor a choice. It is a disease just like cancer and can only be treated and not cured.

Treatment is the proper place to put the billions of dollars presently being wasted in the war on drugs. When there is no demand, there is no supply. One more time... the key to it is understanding that addiction is NOT a choice. It is genetic just like being fat, muscular or smart. :tiphat:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm pretty libertarian about allowing people to pollute themselves if they choose to do so, as long as they stay off the road and don't do other illegal things in the process. What other vices are you prepared to legislate away? How about smoking? Personally, I'd like for every person who wants to vote to have to pass the same citizenship test that a legal immigrant has to pass.

rotor

Post by rotor »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:06 am
Addiction, alcohol, drugs, eating or what ever one is addicted to is neither a mental "disorder" nor a choice. It is a disease just like cancer and can only be treated and not cured.

Treatment is the proper place to put the billions of dollars presently being wasted in the war on drugs. When there is no demand, there is no supply. One more time... the key to it is understanding that addiction is NOT a choice. It is genetic just like being fat, muscular or smart. :tiphat:
Unless the mother was on drugs while carrying a fetus one is not born with an addiction. One acquires an addiction but first one has to use the drug to activate the addiction. The use of the drug requires conscious effort (unless one has been forced to use the drug). Once addicted to the drug then one has the disease of addiction. But in almost every case the disease was caused by a conscious use of a drug. If you know a person has HIV and you purposely have unprotected sex and acquire HIV you then have a disease but you activated that disease by your conscious effort. I was a tobacco user as a youngster and fought the disease of addiction to nicotine which is an extremely powerful addiction. My mother smoked while she was pregnant. Nobody knew the risks then. The choice to smoke though was my mother's and mine as as a teen. Just like elections have consequences, drug use has consequences but we all make a choice. I am a libertarian in that I don't deny you the choice but I don't want to pay to fix your mistake. I can think of better uses for the billions needed to treat other peoples bad behavior.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

I too can think of answer: Devil's Island reincarnated somewhere far, far away. Preferably in an equatorial, steamy region, filled with exotic venamous snakes and other lovely critters...

Sound harsh?

That's because it is, but by all means involve your diseased self in drugs and if my dream came true you'd end up away from the civilized world to live as best you can on drugged out, Devil's Island or knowing this could possibly be your fate, by all means involve yourself in drugs, you poor, poor dear...and remember only the strongest survive.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Abraham wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:14 pm I too can think of answer: Devil's Island reincarnated somewhere far, far away. Preferably in an equatorial, steamy region, filled with exotic venamous snakes and other lovely critters...
For all gun owners or just the ones with "assault weapons" and "saturday night specials"?

:roll:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”