OH: Wife finds intruder in her bed holding a hatchet and.....oh just go RTWT

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

OH: Wife finds intruder in her bed holding a hatchet and.....oh just go RTWT

Post by ELB »

I can't really summarize this one, you just have to go read it. Warning Level = Weird.

Man found in stranger's bed with pants down, hatchet in hand
USAF 1982-2005

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OH: Wife finds intruder in her bed holding a hatchet and.....oh just go RTWT

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I think I'd have called the authorities and watched the interloper -- gun in hand -- until the cops arrived. Waking the fellow who was armed with a hatchet was not the smartest thing to do.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

RoyGBiv

Re: OH: Wife finds intruder in her bed holding a hatchet and.....oh just go RTWT

Post by RoyGBiv »

So much fail. Epic, epic fail.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

In Texas the coroner would have been called to the scene.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Allons

Post by Allons »

puma guy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm In Texas the coroner would have been called to the scene.
:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Home owner with the gun cracks me up. Says he’s lucky to be breathing. After two warning shots into the ground, I don’t think so. He should be glad hatchet man didn’t figure out he was bluffing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

C-dub wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 pm Home owner with the gun cracks me up. Says he’s lucky to be breathing. After two warning shots into the ground, I don’t think so. He should be glad hatchet man didn’t figure out he was bluffing.
I bet you it was just a strange old man. And if he seriously came at the guy I bet you would’ve shot them to in the chest one in the head. Don’t kill a man if you don’t have to
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

TreyHouston wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:51 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 pm Home owner with the gun cracks me up. Says he’s lucky to be breathing. After two warning shots into the ground, I don’t think so. He should be glad hatchet man didn’t figure out he was bluffing.
I bet you it was just a strange old man. And if he seriously came at the guy I bet you would’ve shot them to in the chest one in the head. Don’t kill a man if you don’t have to
Maybe the GGWAG could tell something not imparted by the article. All we have to go on is that is that the article said the 39 year old perv was holding a hatchet in one hand and his junk in the other before fighting with the homeowner. Then later charging that home owner with the hatchet.

How many warning shots do you think you would have fired? I probably wouldn’t go for a head shot, but there’s a good chance there will be at least three center mass.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I would have had my wife call 911 while I held my gun on him and waited for LEO to arrive. If he made any attempt to come towards me with that hatchet he would have went down. IMHO warning shots into the ground are a bad tactic. You ever hear of an LEO firing a warning shot? I think not.

In this instance the homeowner tried to get the threat out of his residence. But what about the consequences of other people whom the perpetrator might encounter? He should have dealt with the threat as best as possible until LEO arrived. Just my 2 cents.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:25 pm I think I'd have called the authorities and watched the interloper -- gun in hand -- until the cops arrived. Waking the fellow who was armed with a hatchet was not the smartest thing to do.
This. Leave sleeping pervs lie. Let the cops wake him up.
USAF 1982-2005

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The intruder is 39 years old? Really? I've seen much older guys that look way younger than him. Nancy Reagan was right, kids, just say NO to drugs!

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am The intruder is 39 years old? Really? I've seen much older guys that look way younger than him. Nancy Reagan was right, kids, just say NO to drugs!
I looked up criminal cases in Middletowne OH municipal court, where this guy's latest caper will end up. This incident doesn't show yet, but from 1999 to 2017 he has 15 criminal cases, several of them dealing with drugs, an public indecency charge, no operator's license (3x), burglary, aggravated burglary. And that's just for Middletowne municipal court; I'll bet nearby jurisdictions have some acquaintance with him as well.

He's been living life the hard way.
USAF 1982-2005

jason812

Post by jason812 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am The intruder is 39 years old? Really? I've seen much older guys that look way younger than him. Nancy Reagan was right, kids, just say NO to drugs!
I'm 39 and can only think that this guy has lived a hard life. Hard as in lots of booze, cigarettes, and probably drugs. Not hard as in he has a job and struggles to pay for what he has cause obviously he will just take what he wants.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Stacy asked her husband Tim to help get McClain out of the residence. He was armed with a gun when he tried to wake up McClain, police said.
you should always listen to your wife; you shouldn't ALWAYS do what she says. Dial 911 and let THEM wake up sleeping beauty
He told police he was in fear for himself and his family so he struck McClain in the head with the handgun. A fight then ensued.
:banghead: IDIOT!
According to the police report, Tim fought McClain out of the bedroom, through the kitchen and outside of the house.

When McClain came at Tim, he fired one shot into the ground.

Police said McClain then fled behind the detached garage and came back towards Tim with the hatchet, so he fired another shot into the ground and McClain fled from the scene.
Warning shots, just say no. Especially after starting a physical altercation that was unnecessary. (and the purpose of a gun is to deal with threats from OUTSIDE of contact distance. If you choose to close and use a pistol as an impact weapon in the opening round, you obviously have not grasped the concept.)

If they had ended up shooting the intruder after all this, it could have gone badly for them in court. (is Ohio a 'castle doctrine' state?) More so than if they had just shot him in the bedroom, or in response to the ax attack that prompted the first warning shot.

Lastly, if you just HAD to be stupid and wake him up, why didn't you take the ax away from him while he was still asleep?
SMH....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 pm
Stacy asked her husband Tim to help get McClain out of the residence. He was armed with a gun when he tried to wake up McClain, police said.
you should always listen to your wife; you shouldn't ALWAYS do what she says. Dial 911 and let THEM wake up sleeping beauty
He told police he was in fear for himself and his family so he struck McClain in the head with the handgun. A fight then ensued.
:banghead: IDIOT!
According to the police report, Tim fought McClain out of the bedroom, through the kitchen and outside of the house.

When McClain came at Tim, he fired one shot into the ground.

Police said McClain then fled behind the detached garage and came back towards Tim with the hatchet, so he fired another shot into the ground and McClain fled from the scene.
Warning shots, just say no. Especially after starting a physical altercation that was unnecessary. (and the purpose of a gun is to deal with threats from OUTSIDE of contact distance. If you choose to close and use a pistol as an impact weapon in the opening round, you obviously have not grasped the concept.)

If they had ended up shooting the intruder after all this, it could have gone badly for them in court. (is Ohio a 'castle doctrine' state?) More so than if they had just shot him in the bedroom, or in response to the ax attack that prompted the first warning shot.

Lastly, if you just HAD to be stupid and wake him up, why didn't you take the ax away from him while he was still asleep?
SMH....
Don't forget this gem.
' I actually said that after I hit him. I didn't say nothing to wake him up," Tim said.
Did he wake the guy by pistol whipping him?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”