TX: Pair shot while breaking into vehicles

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

TX: Pair shot while breaking into vehicles

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Re: TX: Pair shot while breaking into vehicles

Post by RoyGBiv »

Paywall. :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Gracias!

No mention yet about the shooter...

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

Man is in custody now.
The man reportedly sped away from the scene in a truck but crashed into another vehicle a few blocks away at Preston Road and Beverly Drive.

Officers from Dallas, Highland Park, University Park and Southern Methodist University responded to the help and a perimeter was set up to search for the man, who ran away from the crash, Koppa said.

An off-duty officer working at Highland Park Village found the man shortly after in the 4200 block of Livingston Avenue, he said.
As I understand TX law, you can shoot a burglar if the crime is occuring at night, but not during the day. Right?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

OneGun wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am Man is in custody now.
The man reportedly sped away from the scene in a truck but crashed into another vehicle a few blocks away at Preston Road and Beverly Drive.

Officers from Dallas, Highland Park, University Park and Southern Methodist University responded to the help and a perimeter was set up to search for the man, who ran away from the crash, Koppa said.

An off-duty officer working at Highland Park Village found the man shortly after in the 4200 block of Livingston Avenue, he said.
As I understand TX law, you can shoot a burglar if the crime is occuring at night, but not during the day. Right?
That may be why they haven't found the shooter, but there may be other extenuating circumstances, like he/she was not supposed to have a gun. It says, it occurred, at about 8 pm, but I don't know if that is considered nighttime or not since it is still light. Either way, perhaps, the experience will sway this pair of misfits to seek other employment. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is my opinion, not legal advice.

My understanding regarding TX PC 9.42 is that "burglary" is always justification for use of deadly force.
"Theft" is justification only during the nighttime.

"Burglary" and "Theft" are not the same thing.

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/tex ... _code_9-42
(emphasis mine)
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other’s imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
Burglary of a motor vehicle, TX PC
https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/tex ... code_30-04

Burglary, broadly. TX PC
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... /PE.30.htm

Theft... see 31.03
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... /PE.31.htm

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jusme wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 am

That may be why they haven't found the shooter, but there may be other extenuating circumstances, like he/she was not supposed to have a gun. It says, it occurred, at about 8 pm, but I don't know if that is considered nighttime or not since it is still light. Either way, perhaps, the experience will sway this pair of misfits to seek other employment. JMHO
Texas Transportation Code defines "nighttime" in section 541.401
(5) "Nighttime" means the period beginning one-half hour after sunset and ending one-half hour before sunrise.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... ONCODE.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jusme wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 am

Nighttime applies to "Theft".
I believe that B&E of a motor vehicle is "Burglary"
See my post above.

flechero

Post by flechero »

theft, burglary, time of day questions, issues... All I know is that Karma is applied 24 hours a day. ;-)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Problem is burglary of a motor vehicle is only a misdemeanor and does not necessarily justify use of deadly force to stop it. May need some extenuating circumstances to get justification.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Allons

Post by Allons »

flechero wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:17 pm theft, burglary, time of day questions, issues... All I know is that Karma is applied 24 hours a day. ;-)
:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Wonder how high of a priority DPD has on locating the shooter? I’d assign it a 2 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 the highest priority.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I just got word that the prosecutor has decided not to take the case to a grand jury. The two people did not get shot for burglary, they got shot for trying to run me over. I kept from commenting just in case. I still don't want to get into details for the same reason, but will say had they just driven off I would not have even pulled my pistol much less shot. DPD arrived, secured the scene (took forever as they decided which detective group was getting the case), went to the station with them, made a statement, retrieved my property, and went home. I have nothing but good to say for DPD, they were courteous and professional the entire time.
NRA Benefactor Member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Glad to hear of the good outcome. If you ever want to post a detailed after action report, I'm sure we would all be very attentive.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”