IN: Furniture store owner drives off would-be robber

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

IN: Furniture store owner drives off would-be robber

Post by ELB »

‘I could have killed him for $10:’ East side store owner fights back against armed robber

Maybe not text book "how-to-do-it" but got the job done

Video at link.
USAF 1982-2005

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IN: Furniture store owner drives off would-be robber

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

“I knew when he pulled the hammer back on the automatic weapon there wasn’t a bullet in the chamber," Stinson said, "I know the sound.”

And what does that sound like?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 am “I knew when he pulled the hammer back on the automatic weapon there wasn’t a bullet in the chamber," Stinson said, "I know the sound.”

Beat me to it. I was wondering the same thing! :confused5 :confused5
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 am “I knew when he pulled the hammer back on the automatic weapon there wasn’t a bullet in the chamber," Stinson said, "I know the sound.”

:iagree: I never knew that a hammer cocking sounded different when there is no round in the chamber.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

“I knew when he pulled the hammer back on the automatic weapon there wasn’t a bullet in the chamber," Stinson said, "I know the sound.”

Umm :confused5

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

My aim is better than my hearing, I think I probably would have shot the robber. But I wasn't there to see all the variables, so wish him and his bulletstopper well.
USAF 1982-2005

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I'm going to be generous and think maybe he was thinking that the slide had to be racked like you see in movies and tv all the time (sometimes more than once). If so, dangerous assumption.
Ron
NRA Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

rtschl wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:10 am

I'm going to be generous and think maybe he was thinking that the slide had to be racked like you see in movies and tv all the time (sometimes more than once). If so, dangerous assumption.
Yeah, maybe, but shouldn't he have said, when he racked the slide? And on most semi autos, when the slide is racked, on an empty mag, it has to be manually released. But I agree, relying on what I "think" I hear, is very dangerous. I assume every gun is loaded, until I personally check it. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Although this one turned out OK for the store owner, this could have gone very wrong.

The store owner's pistol should have been ONBODY, not in the back room.

It's really amazing to me that people who are savvy enough to own a handgun, don't
realize that it should be ONBODY for maximum effectiveness.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The store owner is a lucky fool!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

The story at link doesn’t actually say where store owner’s gun was, On or off body. Just that he was in the back room when he pulled it out.

This got me curious tho, so I looked thru some interviews, and there is one where he shows where he keep this gun in the back room. Not wise on at least two counts.

USAF 1982-2005

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have to admit, I went and checked ......... with a snap cap. I could not tell the difference.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”