OH: Clerk defends against robbers - twice

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

OH: Clerk defends against robbers - twice

Post by ELB »

These are old, 2011 and 2014, but new to me, so:

2011:https://www.journal-news.com/news/crime ... 7OQFSER3I/

[Grayson] Matthews said [Curtiss Jason] Wright walked into the family-owned business around 8:30 p.m. Saturday, wearing a plastic bag over his face with eye holes pocked out. When the suspect demanded money, Matthews said he grabbed the $37 — a ten, two fives and 17 ones — out of the register and handed the cash over. …

Matthews told the suspect he kept more money in his front right pocket of his pants. He showed Wright the money, switched it from his right to his left hand, and when Wright’s eyes followed, Matthews told him he kept $200 more under the counter.

That’s when he grabbed a .38-caliber revolver, fired three shots, at least one striking Wright in the left shoulder. Wright raced out of the neighborhood store, ran to a nearby residence and dropped the plastic bag and his weapon — later identified as a piece of aluminum — on the back porch.
Mr. Matthews was uninjured. Mr. Wright was caught by police and awarded 5 years free lodging at one of the State of Ohio's lodging facilities, eligible for early check out in 2015.

Three years later same store, same clerk: http://www.fox19.com/story/27623623/sto ... -hamilton/
The clerk, Grayson Matthews, 53, told police that two males entered the store and demanded money.

A gun battle ensued with several shots fired. Grayson was hit in the side, police said. He pulled a weapon of his own and told police he thought he shot one of the suspect's in the face.

Shortly after the robbery, a man suffering from a gunshot wound to the head arrived at Fort Hamilton Hughes Hospital.
This time Mr. Matthews received a punctured lung and broken ribs. Aside from being shot in the head, I don't know what became of the robbers.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”