VA: Appeals court overturned guilty verdict of man who killed intruder breaking into home

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

VA: Appeals court overturned guilty verdict of man who killed intruder breaking into home

Post by philip964 »

https://www.cbs19news.com/content/news/ ... 02561.html

Judge erred by not telling jury about self defense as attorney asked.

The rest of the US is not like Texas.

So you have a DA, a judge, 4 appeal court members and a jury not doing the right thing.

Story says he broke through the dead bolted door after being told he was not welcome in the house.

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 1

Re: VA: Appeals court overturned guilty verdict of man who killed intruder breaking into home

Post by Grumpy1993 »

philip964 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:09 pm https://www.cbs19news.com/content/news/ ... 02561.html

Not so quick! Have we already forgot the authorities attempted posthumous persecution of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas?

And still no action by the Texas Attorney General or the Texas Rangers. That looks a lot like tacit approval.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

ELB

Re: VA: Appeals court overturned guilty verdict of man who killed intruder breaking into home

Post by ELB »

philip964 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:09 pm https://www.cbs19news.com/content/news/ ... 02561.html

So you have a DA, a judge, 4 appeal court members and a jury not doing the right thing.

Story says he broke through the dead bolted door after being told he was not welcome in the house.
Well.

The defendant told the police at least twice that he did not intend to shoot the intruder, that he pointed the rifle at the intruder's legs because he only wanted to scare him, and that he was shaking badly when the rifle discharged.

So basically he told the cops it was not self-defense, it was an accident. He did not testify at his trial.

Also of interest: The rifle he used was his 12th birthday present (he was 53 at time of incident). He kept the rifle unloaded with only two rounds rubber-banded to it. He loaded only one round before confronting the intruder coming down stairs. The bullet he fired went through the intruder's left calf, through his right thigh, and lodged in a stair tread. The intruder died from these wounds.

https://law.justia.com/cases/virginia/c ... 7-4-0.html

The link goes to the decision of the three judge panel that reversed the conviction. It contains a summary of the facts at trial.
USAF 1982-2005

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Well, I've heard it said here on the forum that if a man breaks into your house in the middle of the night, he's probably not there for a glass of iced tea.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Much as I hate to say it, the three judge panel may have been wrong. The problem, as I see it, is that to claim self-defense you need to admit to knowingly shooting the weapon. When he said he only meant to scare and never meant to fire, but was shaking so badly that the gun went off, he is admitting to the shooting being unintentional and therefore negligent.

I wonder what will be said by the full panel when they rehear the appeal.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I later read about the extenuating circumstances.

That said, if you break down a deadbolted door into someone’s house after you have been told to never come back, I’m sorry I’m not convicting the homeowner regardless of whatever stupid things he told the police.

ELB

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:32 pm
The full court upheld the panel 7-4. The link I provided was to the three-judge panel opinion because that’s the only official document I could find, But the original story is about the forecourt upholding the panel.

I have no problems with the invader being shot, and I don’t See any moral reason he should’ve been prosecuted in the first place, accident or not. But the homeowner made a lot of trouble for himself By talking when he shouldn’t have.
USAF 1982-2005

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

ELB wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:21 am
The full court upheld the panel 7-4. The link I provided was to the three-judge panel opinion because that’s the only official document I could find, But the original story is about the forecourt upholding the panel.

I have no problems with the invader being shot, and I don’t See any moral reason he should’ve been prosecuted in the first place, accident or not. But the homeowner made a lot of trouble for himself By talking when he shouldn’t have.
DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE! Tell them you were in fear of your life and then SHUT UP! communicate through your attorney!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 am
ELB wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:21 am

DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE! SHUT UP! communicate through your attorney!
There! Fixed it for you!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

jason812

Post by jason812 »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 am
DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE! Tell them you were in fear of your life and then SHUT UP! communicate through your attorney!
He at least got the first part right that you left out: Make sure there is only one side of the story, yours.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

🖒
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”