AZ: Kidnapping foiled

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6956
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#1

Post by ELB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:43 am

Kidnapping of Phoenix girl, 11, scuttled by witness with handgun
https://www.foxnews.com/us/kidnapping-o ... gun-report
The unidentified suspect allegedly grabbed the girl as she walked, took her arm and placed it behind her back and then covered her face with his own arm in an April 3 incident.


Noting the situation, a witness reportedly knocked the man to the ground and told him to leave the girl alone. He then pointed the gun at the suspect and demanded he leave, Sgt. Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix police said, according to Fox 10.
Slightly expanded version here: Witness pulls out gun, stops suspect from kidnapping 11-year-old girl, police say - Story | KSAZ
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizon ... police-say
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 16853
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#2

Post by WildBill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Probably not the way I would have handled it, but the crime was stopped and the child is safe. :tiphat:
Unfortunately the bad guy got away, but I think the police will be able to catch him.
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#3

Post by KLB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm

A nice point is that the good guy with a gun did not end up with his name spread all over the media. Hopefully it will stay that way so he does not become a target.


LDP
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#4

Post by LDP » Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 pm

WildBill wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm
Probably not the way I would have handled it, but the crime was stopped and the child is safe. :tiphat:
What would you do differently? Asking completely honestly. Always looking for ideas, suggestions, improvement.

KLB wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm
A nice point is that the good guy with a gun did not end up with his name spread all over the media. Hopefully it will stay that way so he does not become a target.
Nice. Is there a good way to ensure this? Are the media required to obey any information privacy acts or anything? Since this would be recorded as a violent crime in the police database, the name of any civilians involved would be disclosed in the record, am I wrong?
Do we have any reasonable measures to prevent our identities leaking into the media sewer?

User avatar

n5wmk
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm
Location: Lucas, TX

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#5

Post by n5wmk » Fri May 31, 2019 9:26 am

I think (right now), that if I had pulled my handgun on the guy who grabbed the girl, that I would have demanded he lay down on the ground, and I would have called (or had someone call) 911. If he chose to get up and run away before LEO arrived, so be it. But actually being part of the event, my actions could have been different.

Interesting to note that the message from the school to parents made no mention that the good guy had a firearm.
A student reported to a Village Meadows teacher that on Wednesday, April 3, while walking to school, she was grabbed by a man from behind. A witness knocked the man down and told him to leave the student alone.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 24824
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#6

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri May 31, 2019 9:30 am

WildBill wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm
Probably not the way I would have handled it, but the crime was stopped and the child is safe. :tiphat:
Unfortunately the bad guy got away, but I think the police will be able to catch him.
I probably would not have made hands-on contact with the perp, but I certainly would have drawn on him and ordered him to the ground. If this happened in Texas after 9/1/19, I would certainly have shwacked him first with my new Asp. :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


LDP
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#7

Post by LDP » Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 am

I too am thinking that pointing a firearm at the perp would be a good way to attempt to subdue him.
However, one never knows whether he will run or comply.
- If he runs, you can't shoot him (no matter how much you really want to). You could chase him (or have someone younger with the police on their cellphone chase him).
- If he complies, you could get sued in (un)civil court for assault, detainment, or whatever bull made-up charges a libtard attorney could dream up.

On a related note: anybody else carry mace? (in addition to their OC/CC)
Sometimes the situation just doesn't call for killing an idiot with ill intent. (I realize I might be opening a can-o-worms here)

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 24824
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm

LDP wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 am
I too am thinking that pointing a firearm at the perp would be a good way to attempt to subdue him.
However, one never knows whether he will run or comply.
- If he runs, you can't shoot him (no matter how much you really want to). You could chase him (or have someone younger with the police on their cellphone chase him).
- If he complies, you could get sued in (un)civil court for assault, detainment, or whatever bull made-up charges a libtard attorney could dream up.

On a related note: anybody else carry mace? (in addition to their OC/CC)
Sometimes the situation just doesn't call for killing an idiot with ill intent. (I realize I might be opening a can-o-worms here)
My main objection to carrying mace or pepper spray myself is that the wind gets a vote in how effective your deterrent will be, and whether or not you might gas yourself....or an innocent third party (like the victim you are trying to help).....and parts of Texas are very windy.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#9

Post by WTR » Fri May 31, 2019 3:14 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm
LDP wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 am
I too am thinking that pointing a firearm at the perp would be a good way to attempt to subdue him.
However, one never knows whether he will run or comply.
- If he runs, you can't shoot him (no matter how much you really want to). You could chase him (or have someone younger with the police on their cellphone chase him).
- If he complies, you could get sued in (un)civil court for assault, detainment, or whatever bull made-up charges a libtard attorney could dream up.

On a related note: anybody else carry mace? (in addition to their OC/CC)
Sometimes the situation just doesn't call for killing an idiot with ill intent. (I realize I might be opening a can-o-worms here)
My main objection to carrying mace or pepper spray myself is that the wind gets a vote in how effective your deterrent will be, and whether or not you might gas yourself....or an innocent third party (like the victim you are trying to help).....and parts of Texas are very windy.
They do make a Gel form now which advertizes no blow back and an extended range.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#10

Post by TreyHouston » Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:30 am
WildBill wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm
Probably not the way I would have handled it, but the crime was stopped and the child is safe. :tiphat:
Unfortunately the bad guy got away, but I think the police will be able to catch him.
I probably would not have made hands-on contact with the perp, but I certainly would have drawn on him and ordered him to the ground. If this happened in Texas after 9/1/19, I would certainly have shwacked him first with my new Asp. :mrgreen:
I was thinking that SAME thought! I have already been shopping! What one [abbreviated profanity deleted] you have picked out?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 24824
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#11

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 pm

TreyHouston wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:30 am
WildBill wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm
Probably not the way I would have handled it, but the crime was stopped and the child is safe. :tiphat:
Unfortunately the bad guy got away, but I think the police will be able to catch him.
I probably would not have made hands-on contact with the perp, but I certainly would have drawn on him and ordered him to the ground. If this happened in Texas after 9/1/19, I would certainly have shwacked him first with my new Asp. :mrgreen:
I was thinking that SAME thought! I have already been shopping! What one [abbreviated profanity deleted] you have picked out?
I haven’t decided yet for sure, but I’m thinking a 21” (extended) unit. I can’t decide between a black chrome Asp, or the Airweight version with a vinyl handle and aluminum extensions. The airweight weighs just over 8 oz, and the black chrome version weighs twice that. I imagine that the heavier unit would be more effective, but it adds another pound to my EDC loadout.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#12

Post by Rob72 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 pm

I haven’t decided yet for sure, but I’m thinking a 21” (extended) unit. I can’t decide between a black chrome Asp, or the Airweight version with a vinyl handle and aluminum extensions. The airweight weighs just over 8 oz, and the black chrome version weighs twice that. I imagine that the heavier unit would be more effective, but it adds another pound to my EDC loadout.
Go all in TAM, Foster's Leather Texan:
http://fosterimpactdevices.com/saps.html

You can request a full 16 oz. load. :shock: :coolgleamA:

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 24824
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#13

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Rob72 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 am
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 pm

I haven’t decided yet for sure, but I’m thinking a 21” (extended) unit. I can’t decide between a black chrome Asp, or the Airweight version with a vinyl handle and aluminum extensions. The airweight weighs just over 8 oz, and the black chrome version weighs twice that. I imagine that the heavier unit would be more effective, but it adds another pound to my EDC loadout.
Go all in TAM, Foster's Leather Texan:
http://fosterimpactdevices.com/saps.html

You can request a full 16 oz. load. :shock: :coolgleamA:
"rlol"

Laughing, because I forgot that I actually already own one of those, in black leather. It’s in a box in the attic somewhere. Still, a sap requires greater proximity than a stick. That’s why I like the idea of the Asp.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#14

Post by JustSomeOldGuy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

http://fosterimpactdevices.com/coin_sap.html

Now there's a nifty idea, particularly for places like California/New Jersey/Canada. "It's just a coin purse, officer". :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: AZ: Kidnapping foiled

#15

Post by Rob72 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 am

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm
http://fosterimpactdevices.com/coin_sap.html

Now there's a nifty idea, particularly for places like California/New Jersey/Canada. "It's just a coin purse, officer". :biggrinjester:
Really well made, and pretty stout if you have a handful of Eisenhower dollars to carry. :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”