TX: Pastor and wife shoot home invader

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Pastor and wife shoot home invader

Post by ELB »

This sounds familiar -- it happened back in May -- but I don't see it in this forum, so here goes:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pastor-wife-s ... d=62847146

Per HPD:
"A preliminary investigation revealed the residents were asleep in their bed when they were awakened by a loud noise. While investigating the cause of the noise, they noticed their backyard gate was opened and saw a male (suspect) in their back yard," police said in a statement released on Monday.

"The suspect then forced his way and gained entry into the residence. The residents, in fear for their lives, discharged their firearms several times, striking the suspect," the statement read.
Couple called 911. Suspect died on scene.

As usual cops said will be presented to grand jury, have seen no news accounts about that, but I suspect they did not have anything to worry about.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Pastor and wife shoot home invader

Post by philip964 »

I like that both fired their guns. Always helpful.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

ELB wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 am This sounds familiar -- it happened back in May -- but I don't see it in this forum, so here goes:

Per HPD:
"A preliminary investigation revealed the residents were asleep in their bed when they were awakened by a loud noise. While investigating the cause of the noise, they noticed their backyard gate was opened and saw a male (suspect) in their back yard," police said in a statement released on Monday.

"The suspect then forced his way and gained entry into the residence. The residents, in fear for their lives, discharged their firearms several times, striking the suspect," the statement read.

As usual cops said will be presented to grand jury, have seen no news accounts about that, but I suspect they did not have anything to worry about.
In Texas it is black letter law that it has to be presented to a grand jury by the DA.
He/She doesn't have a choice.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:12 pm
ELB wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 am This sounds familiar -- it happened back in May -- but I don't see it in this forum, so here goes:

Per HPD:

In Texas it is black letter law that it has to be presented to a grand jury by the DA.
He/She doesn't have a choice.
That last part : In Texas it is black letter law that it has to be presented to a grand jury by the DA.
He/She doesn't have a choice.... that's the bad part seams like common sense would come into play on certain circumstances where they could just not charge them? But then again what do I know, guess that Ltc insurance is looking better everyday. I'm sure just for a attorney to take the case your looking at Probably 50k to get started but no one wants a Appointed attorney on a murder charge or any charge for that matter.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

narcissist wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm That last part : In Texas it is black letter law that it has to be presented to a grand jury by the DA.
He/She doesn't have a choice.... that's the bad part seams like common sense would come into play on certain circumstances where they could just not charge them? But then again what do I know, guess that Ltc insurance is looking better everyday. I'm sure just for a attorney to take the case your looking at Probably 50k to get started but no one wants a Appointed attorney on a murder charge or any charge for that matter.
An attorney isn't going to be very useful in the grand jury process. Neither he nor the accused will likely have any input. An attorney might be able to explain the process, and remind you to to keep your mouth shut and give you other good advise, but grand juries are pretty much one sided affairs. He asks for a ham sandwich, and the jury delivers his request.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Ive been reviewing a few Texas criminal defense attorney websites that contain blogs where the attorneys offer information on legal subjects such as grand juries and self-defense. Some note that it is possible to convince the DA to allow the defense lawyer to provide a grand jury packet of legal briefs, affidavits, and evidence or exhibits in favor of the potential defendant. One noted that if your attorney feels your SD case is strong and he has a good working relationship with the DA, he should present this to the DA early in an effort to convince the DA to present it to the GJ as well and head off an indictment right at the source. Conversely, if your case is shaky, skip this effort and keep your cards close to the vest until trial.
USAF 1982-2005

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

I am sure that those were just warning shots. Any other home invaders are now warned...
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

narcissist wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm That last part : In Texas it is black letter law that it has to be presented to a grand jury by the DA.
It’s also clear in Texas Penal Code Chapter 9 that the use of deadly force is justified under the circumstances. A good DA would make that crystal clear to the grand jury and encourage no charges be brought.

I haven’t been able to find anything else reported about this incident. Kinda makes me think the grand jury did the right thing so for the media it’s no longer a story they’re interested in.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”