CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Post Reply

Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10876
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#1

Post by philip964 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am

http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/rea ... r-mace-gun

Even with bear spray in her eyes she “made his day”.

Colorado has self defense laws know as “Make my day” law. Sound rather limited.

“Colorado's “Make My Day” law gives gun owners the right to shoot and kill an intruder in self-defense if they believe the person intends to commit a crime and use physical force, “no matter how slight.” ... The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”

User avatar

narcissist
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#2

Post by narcissist » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am

philip964 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/rea ... r-mace-gun

Even with bear spray in her eyes she “made his day”.

Colorado has self defense laws know as “Make my day” law. Sound rather limited.

“Colorado's “Make My Day” law gives gun owners the right to shoot and kill an intruder in self-defense if they believe the person intends to commit a crime and use physical force, “no matter how slight.” ... The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”
Sounds like the gun laws in Colorado are better then Tx then? What do you mean by "The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”. ?
Last edited by narcissist on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#3

Post by Grayling813 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:19 am

This is why my nephew who is real estate broker and most of his agents carry concealed all the time.
“Is there nothing to sing about to-day? Then borrow a song from tomorrow; sing of what is yet to be. Is this world dreary? Then think of the next.” - Charles Spurgeon

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7411
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#4

Post by ELB » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:26 am

She used a Glock 43 carried in an ankle holster. I think this is the first new story I've ever read that said the defender drew from an ankle holster. Good on her, although she's lucky with the missed shot, since it went into the condo next door.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10876
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#5

Post by philip964 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 pm

narcissist wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am
philip964 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/rea ... r-mace-gun

Even with bear spray in her eyes she “made his day”.

Colorado has self defense laws know as “Make my day” law. Sound rather limited.

“Colorado's “Make My Day” law gives gun owners the right to shoot and kill an intruder in self-defense if they believe the person intends to commit a crime and use physical force, “no matter how slight.” ... The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”
Sounds like the gun laws in Colorado are better then Tx then? What do you mean by "The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”. ?
Its in quotes, I copied it from the internet. I didn't do a lot of research, but I suspect there is not a requirement to retreat inside your home, however that ends at the door step, so I assume if you are outside and are attacked you must retreat.

By referring to a law as a "Make my day" law, it appears Colorado is very liberal and the stand your ground inside your house was very hotly debated.

The story suggests the police were very thorough in their investigation. Finding blood on the gun, finding bear spray on the gun. Their thoroughness may be wanting to make sure she was actually attacked, not just taking her word for it. I may be just seeing ghosts here, but reading it, I was concerned their thoroughness was an attempt to see if they could find some crime she committed. After all she fired a gun and stopped a crime on her person. She could have wounded or worse killed a human, who just needed rehabilitation. That is not a message, I suspect, they want to get out.

Lets just say Colorado is not Texas.

If we had a real news media and if they really cared about women, this story should have gone nationwide and been the subject of numerous talk shows like the View and shouted from the rooftops. Women do not have to be victims.


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#6

Post by LDP » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

ELB wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:26 am
... she's lucky with the missed shot, since it went into the condo next door.
True. She's lucky she didn't end up in front of a jury herself for accidentally shooting an innocent resident nextdoor. Yikes.

Why not just give him the $8,000 ring? After she sells the condo, she can buy 10 more of those. :D

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8901
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#7

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:42 pm

philip964 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 pm
narcissist wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am
philip964 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/rea ... r-mace-gun

Even with bear spray in her eyes she “made his day”.

Colorado has self defense laws know as “Make my day” law. Sound rather limited.

“Colorado's “Make My Day” law gives gun owners the right to shoot and kill an intruder in self-defense if they believe the person intends to commit a crime and use physical force, “no matter how slight.” ... The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”
Sounds like the gun laws in Colorado are better then Tx then? What do you mean by "The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”. ?
Its in quotes, I copied it from the internet. I didn't do a lot of research, but I suspect there is not a requirement to retreat inside your home, however that ends at the door step, so I assume if you are outside and are attacked you must retreat.

By referring to a law as a "Make my day" law, it appears Colorado is very liberal and the stand your ground inside your house was very hotly debated.

The story suggests the police were very thorough in their investigation. Finding blood on the gun, finding bear spray on the gun. Their thoroughness may be wanting to make sure she was actually attacked, not just taking her word for it. I may be just seeing ghosts here, but reading it, I was concerned their thoroughness was an attempt to see if they could find some crime she committed. After all she fired a gun and stopped a crime on her person. She could have wounded or worse killed a human, who just needed rehabilitation. That is not a message, I suspect, they want to get out.

Lets just say Colorado is not Texas.

If we had a real news media and if they really cared about women, this story should have gone nationwide and been the subject of numerous talk shows like the View and shouted from the rooftops. Women do not have to be victims.
Sometimes I think Texas is not what some folks think Texas is when it comes to Castle doctrine or self defense issues. Just the other day we read of a fellow who is now charged with murder because he fired and killed a thief after the threat was over. "Shot into the dark" he said. I am not sure what the outcome would be if we were to scare off an attacker in our homes and then follow him outside to finish him off. My gut tells me not good. This is how I took them to mean "the right stops at the door". In a case like this anyway. I am not sure what Colorado thinks of self defense outside the home or place of business with a firearm.

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7411
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#8

Post by ELB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 am

LDP wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Why not just give him the $8,000 ring? After she sells the condo, she can buy 10 more of those. :D
A woman trapped alone in an unoccupied condo, in the master bedroom, by a man threatening her with a knife? I believe she was wise to start shootin.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.

User avatar

DEB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#9

Post by DEB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:09 pm

ELB wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 am
LDP wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Why not just give him the $8,000 ring? After she sells the condo, she can buy 10 more of those. :D
A woman trapped alone in an unoccupied condo, in the master bedroom, by a man threatening her with a knife? I believe she was wise to start shootin.
:iagree: Exactly, he might of wanted more than just the ring.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1755
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#10

Post by crazy2medic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:12 pm

DEB wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:09 pm
ELB wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 am
LDP wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Why not just give him the $8,000 ring? After she sells the condo, she can buy 10 more of those. :D
A woman trapped alone in an unoccupied condo, in the master bedroom, by a man threatening her with a knife? I believe she was wise to start shootin.
:iagree: Exactly, he might of wanted more than just the ring.
He was checking to see if she would comply, once she showed she'd hand over the ring then he'd go for the other! She did good going guns on!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#11

Post by TreyHouston » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:01 pm

LDP wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm
ELB wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:26 am
... she's lucky with the missed shot, since it went into the condo next door.
True. She's lucky she didn't end up in front of a jury herself for accidentally shooting an innocent resident nextdoor. Yikes.

Why not just give him the $8,000 ring? After she sells the condo, she can buy 10 more of those. :D
Sounds like your quick to say “He was a good man, just turning his life around” or “I think she has enough money and should give her wedding ring (I assume) to the pour guy with warrants.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


orionengnr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 347
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:54 pm

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#12

Post by orionengnr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Fearing for her life and saying she was in “disbelief,” the woman drew a handgun from her ankle holster and pointed it at the man
who then sprayed her with the bear mace
, the documents stated. The real estate agent fired a round at the suspect, who police do not believe was struck, and he fled the residence.
Her first mistake was drawing and pointing it at him. Should have followed through with a double-tap.

If he had been a better aim with the "bear mace" this story would have had a different ending.

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#13

Post by SewTexas » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:37 pm

narcissist wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am
philip964 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/rea ... r-mace-gun

Even with bear spray in her eyes she “made his day”.

Colorado has self defense laws know as “Make my day” law. Sound rather limited.

“Colorado's “Make My Day” law gives gun owners the right to shoot and kill an intruder in self-defense if they believe the person intends to commit a crime and use physical force, “no matter how slight.” ... The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”
Sounds like the gun laws in Colorado are better then Tx then? What do you mean by "The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”. ?
basically, when we lived there, the saying was, "if they fall, make sure they fall inside the door"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

narcissist
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: CO: CHL Real Estate agent attacked at open house, bear spray, knife and rope

#14

Post by narcissist » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:31 pm

SewTexas wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:37 pm
narcissist wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am
philip964 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/rea ... r-mace-gun

Even with bear spray in her eyes she “made his day”.

Colorado has self defense laws know as “Make my day” law. Sound rather limited.

“Colorado's “Make My Day” law gives gun owners the right to shoot and kill an intruder in self-defense if they believe the person intends to commit a crime and use physical force, “no matter how slight.” ... The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”
Sounds like the gun laws in Colorado are better then Tx then? What do you mean by "The right to use a gun for self-defense, however, ends at the door.Jan 31, 2017”. ?
basically, when we lived there, the saying was, "if they fall, make sure they fall inside the door"
I've heard that before from Missouri?, guess lets each grab a leg and pull the criminal back inside :smilelol5: . Seams like they could and would use common sense if there's a shot to the chest region of the crminal, also a blood pattern on the wall inside the house. Just because he made it to the yard shouldn't matter imo but I Forgot Common Sense cant be taught in college and Doesn't matter in the Eyes of the Law.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”