Family pets?, Micorchip please

Please help these rescued animals find a home. Some are in no-kill shelters, but many are living on borrowed time. These posts are from other organizations unrelated to the Forum, so the information cannot be verified.

Moderator: carlson1

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Family pets?, Micorchip please

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Lena wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:02 am lh.jpg
ma31.jpg

Would not be without them
Where did you get that dog gate? That's the best-looking one I've seen. Most are plastic.

Chas.
Try Frontgate - I've seen (similar) nice ones there

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:58 pm
ma31.jpg

Where did you get that dog gate? That's the best-looking one I've seen. Most are plastic.

Chas.
Thanks.

Chas.

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:30 pm
flechero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:58 pm
ma31.jpg

Chas.
Thanks.

Chas.
A buddy of mine has the same gate. Very nice setup.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 24

Re: chip replacment

Post by E.Marquez »

flechero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 am One of my dog's chips has migrated to her leg and is sensitive/painful to her. I'm going to have it removed. I'm thinking they will not reuse it just due to age and 6 years worth of banging around. So its as if I was starting over- are both Home again and Smart tag one time fees only? Is one better than the other if I have the choice?

Thanks!
Yes Smart Tag (what we use ) and Home Again are one time fee, plus what ever the chipper charges...We do it for free so what we pay for the chip is what we ask for.

There are chips out there that by marketing at least, less effective in prevention of migration.. IOW do not have anti migration technology as part of their chip manufacture.

There is also how/where the chip was implanted and the dogs activity after implanting.
I'll skip how and where, but after is key as well. Fur kid, cat , ferret or dog should be kept calm the first 24 hours after chipping. Allowing the tissue to start its processing of attaching to the chip.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm
LDP wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:24 pm Let's not forget that while the implantation of the chip is not really that expensive (and sometimes vets do it for free as part of some promotional events), it's the registration database fees that surprise most people. If you don't pay a registration fee, your dog is not inserted into the DB. And if you don't pay their annual ransom, your dog is erased from the DB.
Every single time we found a loose dog and too it to a local vet, they said "the registration came back old and outdated".

We rely on a good collar with our dog's name and our contact information.
Are you sure about this? I only registered my dog when he first got chipped. I don't remember them saying I had to pay each year. I suppose I better check on it. Thanks for the heads up.
It depends on the chip company.
MOST only charge annually for their "Premium " services. Basic registration is for life. Now some do require you to be a current "premium" member to change the pets profile 24pet watch is one of those.....and all of them send you a reminder annually that your pets "Premium " account status has ended , please pay us more to continue, but that is just marketing to get you to sign up for the extras.
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm I suppose I better check on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy to help, give me the chip company or just the chip number and I'll tell you what their policies are...If I dont have it in the file I'll find out to add it, and tell you
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

LDP wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:24 pm Every single time we found a loose dog and too it to a local vet, they said "the registration came back old and outdated".

We rely on a good collar with our dog's name and our contact information.
Very good point..and one I spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars getting past...outdated pet profile contact info.

PLEASE update your pets profile, we suggest once a year, timed with vet visits...Log on to your pets profile, this insures you have the correct lo in info when its not an emergency, and it allows you to update a pet picture, check the profile info to make sure its up to date ,,and very importantly,it changes the date you were last there.. WE use that date to help confirm there is someone to find.
At that same time (vet visit) ask them to scan the pet for their chip.. you want to confirm it not only is present and working but location as they can migrate.
If the pet is lost please add last known location of the chip to your flyers and Vet/shelter notifications. Id love to say all in the rescue / vet / shelter activities do a through scan when a lost pet is found..but reality is many dont, or use a basic scanner that does not read encrypted chips like those from Avid and AKC. So telling the potential finders the pups chip is located over the base of its tail and its an encrypted type may ensure they lost pet found is scanned in a way your pets chip will be found.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

All of ours are chipped and we have never been asked for additional payments. Our pups also have our name and number on their collars.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flechero

Re: chip replacment

Post by flechero »

E.Marquez wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:48 am Yes Smart Tag (what we use ) and Home Again are one time fee, plus what ever the chipper charges...

There is also how/where the chip was implanted and the dogs activity after implanting.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:46 am All of ours are chipped and we have never been asked for additional payments. Our pups also have our name and number on their collars.
Thank you for doing that.
Making the call "Are you missing a pet" be it from chip info or number on a tag, is why we do what we do.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Yesterday was interesting and Christmas related so thought Id share.
We are asked to come to a local family home and chip the family pet..As the "owner" is filling in the paperwork, she tells her daughter, go ask your dad his email address but dont tell him why.
We have been in situations where only what member of the family wants chipping done, husband or wife, one or the other going through separation, none if it fun.
So I'm now on high alert running the what if's possibilities should a angry husband come storming out to stop this.
The mother in law overhears the email address given to us by the daughter and she says" Oh no, dont use that one, he will find out about his Christmas gift".
Turns out, the pup is a family pet, but he is really "Dads best friend" and the young family wanted to get pup chipped as a Christmas present to dad.
Merry Christmas folks and please, chip, register and keep updated your fur kids profiles.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Any recommendations on a chipper(?) near Angleton (south of Houston)?
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am Any recommendations on a chipper(?) near Angleton (south of Houston)?
Sorry no, too far outside my normal range.
Look to low cost shot clinics, rescues, Animal shelter, local FB groups. Most Tractor supply store bring in a Low(ish) cost shot clinic every Saturday.

Look for someone using Smart Tag, Home Again, 24 Pet watch chips..If not one of those three, feel free to post up, PM or email at the addy in my signature and ask.

The issue we have with some chip companies is less the chip, and more the registrant service. Some require you to be a current "Premium" member to update info ($25-75 per year), some have no human in the notification process and limited online info, some dont keep records of who they sell to and that is info we can sometimes use to track down an owner.
One place in particular, AKC...the chip is fine, the service ok, but DO NOT make the profile restricted, they guard that info like it is a national secret..Even to us, the rescues or animal shelters. Denying us the info we need to find you... :banghead: Clearly you wanted to be found in the event your pet was lost, or you wold not have had a chip implanted and put some contact info out there to be used to reach you.

That's a huge issue, as AKC will send the registered owner an email, make a call and leave a message...Which is enough if contact info is update and your in the country. What they nor any other chip company will do is, track you down using all possible methods and means..Go to the address listed, talk with neighbors, land lords, use paid search services, use public tax records, social medial, related person on social media, LinkedIn and much more.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

New years and fireworks go hand in hand across the US. Regrettable fireworks and lost pets also go hand in hand.

Fluffy and Killers best chance of making it home is a microchip and updated pet profile.
Please chip your pets.
My wife and I cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas,if we can help out with low cost chipping, or helping you get your pets chip updated, please, just ask.

Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com, call 512-222-6718 or message us at https://www.facebook.com/WE.CHIP.PETS

We Chip Pets is volunteer based, not for profit

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

We just verified our dog's registration from 2011. Updated the information also.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

bbhack wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 pm We just verified our dog's registration from 2011. Updated the information also.
Excellent, our recommendation is to have the pet scanned for a chip at least once a year. You are verifying its still present, works and take note of its location. At the same time, log into the pets profile. Makes sure you remember all the log in info, gives you a chance to upload a new picture, add in details like "limps back right leg" Or "needs insulin shot daily", change fur color notes, ect.
Check the profile also updates the "Last updated" note that we see as rescuers or researchers. If we see a last updated, 2, 5, 7 months ago, we KNOW you are out there and will find you.

Lastly, consider making a contact in your smart phone for each pet.
Chip number, picture, profile log in info, vets name and contact number, numbers for local shelters.
That way you have everything you need to alert chip company, vets, shelters your pup is lost without having to go home and find records, look stuff up.

Return to “Animal Rescue”