HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

XDFan43 wrote:I am totally confused as to what the passing of this bill would allow or disallow. What effect would this bill, if passed, have on the current validity of 30.06 and 30.07 signs on restaurants, apartment complexes, and other businesses?
Private property owners will still be able to use TPC §§30.06 and 30.07. I'm finishing up my article/Short-Short on HB560 and I hope to have it published by this afternoon.

Here's the short version:
  • 1. No statutorily off-limits areas for LTC, except for colleges that limit handguns (TPC §46.035(a-2) & (a-3)
    2. No open-carry on college campus;
    3. No carrying while intoxicated;
    4. No open-carry unless in a belt or shoulder holster.
    5. Federal law will control federal property, including the secured area of airports;
    6. LTC can be disarmed in correctional facilities, police and sheriff's department facilities via §411.207.
There are other changes, but these are the primary ones.
Chas.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Liberty »

XDFan43 wrote:I am totally confused as to what the passing of this bill would allow or disallow. What effect would this bill, if passed, have on the current validity of 30.06 and 30.07 signs on restaurants, apartment complexes, and other businesses?
You aren't the only one who is confused. There is a lot in this bill and its contents are subject to change. Charles will be providing a link soon to a podcast and his straight talking explanations of complex legalese are legendary.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

30.06/07 are not changing with the bill. Those places will continue to be a Class C misdemeanor punishable by $200 fine which is upgraded to a Class A misdemeanor if you were verbally notified and failed to leave.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

Pawpaw wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:As long as I can OC up to door I'm cool with that (as is currently legal).
I prefer to OC due to the ease of carry (have to arm/disarm a lot), and I have a 2 year old. Would like to keep it in OWB holster when dropping off (may include getting out to give a hug) at grade school.
I should probably invest in [prepaid legal] or something similar once she gets to grade school...
That won't do any good. They only help if you use your gun, whether you fire it or not. Just carrying does not qualify as "using".
So [pre-paid legal] or other prepaid services would not help if I was arrested for legally carrying my handgun (but didn't need to draw) by a cop who is not knowledgeable of the law?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

locke_n_load wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:As long as I can OC up to door I'm cool with that (as is currently legal).
I prefer to OC due to the ease of carry (have to arm/disarm a lot), and I have a 2 year old. Would like to keep it in OWB holster when dropping off (may include getting out to give a hug) at grade school.
I should probably invest in [prepaid legal] or something similar once she gets to grade school...
That won't do any good. They only help if you use your gun, whether you fire it or not. Just carrying does not qualify as "using".
So [pre-paid legal] or other prepaid services would not help if I was arrested for legally carrying my handgun (but didn't need to draw) by a cop who is not knowledgeable of the law?
That's correct. They claim to only render legal aid when you use a weapon in lawful self-defense. That doesn't include simply carrying at a location and getting arrested for it. They could take up the case to further 2A rights, but they are not obligated to by contract.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

mr1337 wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
That's correct. They claim to only render legal aid when you use a weapon in lawful self-defense. That doesn't include simply carrying at a location and getting arrested for it. They could take up the case to further 2A rights, but they are not obligated to by contract.
Is that just [pre-paid legal] or pretty much all of them?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

locke_n_load wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Is that just [pre-paid legal] or pretty much all of them?
All of them to my knowledge from when I was comparing them.
Keep calm and carry.

Topic author
mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Russell wrote:On a different note, I hope we invest about 90% of our lobbying efforts towards this bill. I am personally way more interested in seeing this pass than constitutional carry this session.
Same. I know that Constitutional Carry is inevitable. It will happen. The question is: "when?"

I think eliminating off-limits locations will be harder if done after CC, even if the legislation only applies to license holders.

I am all in for this bill. If it's the only pro-gun bill that passes this session, I will be a happy camper. If Constitutional Carry passes, I will still be a happy camper. If both pass, that would be awesome.
Keep calm and carry.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Papa_Tiger »

I'm pretty sure that Charles and others have stated that so-called constitutional carry is likely DOA this session. I agree that this bill and SB16 would be fantastic for gun owners in the State of Texas, with my preference being for HB 560 to receive the hardest push and the fewest (no) modifications. I LOVE this bill as is.

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ELB »

mr1337 wrote:
Russell wrote:On a different note, I hope we invest about 90% of our lobbying efforts towards this bill. I am personally way more interested in seeing this pass than constitutional carry this session.
Same. I know that Constitutional Carry is inevitable. It will happen. The question is: "when?"

I think eliminating off-limits locations will be harder if done after CC, even if the legislation only applies to license holders.

I am all in for this bill. If it's the only pro-gun bill that passes this session, I will be a happy camper. If Constitutional Carry passes, I will still be a happy camper. If both pass, that would be awesome.
Yes, exactly.
USAF 1982-2005

casp625
Posts in topic: 5

Post by casp625 »

ELB wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

Yes, exactly.
:iagree:

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Russell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:All of them to my knowledge from when I was comparing them.
The one I am a member of will defend you against unlawful arrest, not just in a self defense situation per their Terms and Conditions. The owner has also agreed to defend texas3006.com against lawsuits by businesses unhappy that they got themselves listed there.

I don't want to advertise (nor do I have any skin in the game even if I did), but you can check the bottom of the website for who the company is if you're interested.
Will look into 'em Russel, thanks.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

Papa_Tiger wrote:I'm pretty sure that Charles and others have stated that so-called constitutional carry is likely DOA this session.
Yep. But rest assurred, Stickland will return.
-Ruark

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”