HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
mr1337
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#31

Post by mr1337 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 am

Just wrote my Rep, even though I know it will fall on (D)eaf ears.

Here's what I wrote if anyone wants to use or modify it for their Rep.
As a law-abiding Texan and a License to Carry holder, I am often forced to disarm and leave my legally-carried handgun in my car while entering specific buildings or zones designated as so-called "gun-free zones." In these zones, the State has determined that my right to self-defense is void. Criminals and terrorists determined to do harm have already shown that they do not care about these laws, which only serve to disarm law-abiding Americans while creating a target-rich environment for those with the will to cause harm.

A nightclub in Orlando. A church in South Carolina. A corporate party in San Bernardino. An elementary school in Connecticut. It's clear that criminals and terrorists prefer gun-free zones, and when a shooting or other assault happens in these zones, they are able to do more damage because their victims are unable to fight back.

Please support HB 560 to reduce the number of gun-free zones and strengthen Texas against crime and terrorism.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#32

Post by Abraham » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 am

mr1337,

I like it!

User avatar

J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#33

Post by J.R.@A&M » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 am

ralewis wrote:
casp625 wrote:
treadlightly wrote:Man, that looks nice, but here's the question - what kind of nutcases will this bring out of the woodwork to make us all look like buffoons?

Removing the 51% restriction might sound like gun carriers want to get drunk and shoot the empties. Personally, I'd like to go to the best burger shack in town without disarming. It's a bar that defies certain prejudicial prototypes. It's motorcycle themed and quite family safe and friendly. The second time I went I saw a 51% sign and was surprised. It didn't seem like a place that should be off limits.

But I hate to think of theatrics on the State House steps, or drama queens in the legislative chambers gaining traction with blood-in-the-gutters fear mongering.
Read an article back in 2010 that stated 22 states allow firearms in bars, which I'm assuming means at least 50% of states allow it. How many of these states have real issues?

On a side note, I'll be visiting Pennsylvania later in 2017 and it appears that with a LTC, the only places primarily off limits is schools, court houses, secure portions of airport (federal), any federal facilities, correction centers and mental hospitals. Signs carry no force of law and you must be asked to leave or charged with trespassing. Pretty reasonable, if you ask me, and probably won't have to disarm the entire trip. :thumbs2:
PA is awesome for Gun Laws... I am there about 6 weeks a year, and actually applied/received on the spot a non-resident PA license.My family always comments about how everyone in TX has a gun, and I have to sheepishly admit that PA is substantially less complicated to deal with when it comes to restrictions.
As opposed to Ohio, which sounds like a set-up for a confusing mess. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... nsion.html
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

User avatar

tomtexan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Henderson County, TX

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#34

Post by tomtexan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was going to make HB560 the sole subject in a Tex. Leg. Report, but I may make it a TFC Short-Shot. I publish the transcript of Short-Shots (not Tex. Leg. Rpts.) and I'll include talking points, although they won't be titled as such.

Chas.
Charles,
Did you get a chance to produce the TFC Short-Shot on HB560?

Looking forward to listening to it!
Thanks! :txflag:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#35

Post by OlBill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:36 pm

mr1337 wrote:Just wrote my Rep, even though I know it will fall on (D)eaf ears.

Here's what I wrote if anyone wants to use or modify it for their Rep.
As a law-abiding Texan and a License to Carry holder, I am often forced to disarm and leave my legally-carried handgun in my car while entering specific buildings or zones designated as so-called "gun-free zones." In these zones, the State has determined that my right to self-defense is void. Criminals and terrorists determined to do harm have already shown that they do not care about these laws, which only serve to disarm law-abiding Americans while creating a target-rich environment for those with the will to cause harm.

A nightclub in Orlando. A church in South Carolina. A corporate party in San Bernardino. An elementary school in Connecticut. It's clear that criminals and terrorists prefer gun-free zones, and when a shooting or other assault happens in these zones, they are able to do more damage because their victims are unable to fight back.

Please support HB 560 to reduce the number of gun-free zones and strengthen Texas against crime and terrorism.
I couldn't say it any better. I sent it to my rep.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#36

Post by TreyHouston » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Done! Thanks for the heads up! It was pretty easy! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1975
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#37

Post by Vol Texan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm

PM sent to my (R)epresentative.
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor & NRA Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Armored Cav. | Tennessee Squire


locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#38

Post by locke_n_load » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 pm

tomtexan wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was going to make HB560 the sole subject in a Tex. Leg. Report, but I may make it a TFC Short-Shot. I publish the transcript of Short-Shots (not Tex. Leg. Rpts.) and I'll include talking points, although they won't be titled as such.

Chas.
Charles,
Did you get a chance to produce the TFC Short-Shot on HB560?

Looking forward to listening to it!
Thanks! :txflag:
Also waiting for it. Doesn't seem to be up yet.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08


RHenriksen
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Houston

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#39

Post by RHenriksen » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:23 pm

I've emailed my rep! Very excited about this bill
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1420
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#40

Post by AJSully421 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 am

(D)eaf ears...

(R)epresentative...

I love it!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 2474
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#41

Post by Flightmare » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 am

I just emailed my (R)epresentative asking her to close the "human hunting grounds loophole", and support HB 560.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#42

Post by vjallen75 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:09 am

Just emailed my representative in the house and senate. This will be a great step forward if this bill gets passed as it.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31
Posts: 17557
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#43

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:25 am

locke_n_load wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was going to make HB560 the sole subject in a Tex. Leg. Report, but I may make it a TFC Short-Shot. I publish the transcript of Short-Shots (not Tex. Leg. Rpts.) and I'll include talking points, although they won't be titled as such.

Chas.
Charles,
Did you get a chance to produce the TFC Short-Shot on HB560?

Looking forward to listening to it!
Thanks! :txflag:
Also waiting for it. Doesn't seem to be up yet.
I'll try to get it out by tomorrow. I'm swamped with legislative stuff now.

Chas.


artx
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: SATX

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#44

Post by artx » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:49 pm

I sent Rep Springer a Thank You fax. My new (D) rep doesn't have contact info yet (unless someone knows a website that shows the incoming Rep's contact info - best I could find was a campaign PO box). Once she does, I'll contact her as well.


RHenriksen
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Houston

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

#45

Post by RHenriksen » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 pm

artx wrote:I sent Rep Springer a Thank You fax. My new (D) rep doesn't have contact info yet (unless someone knows a website that shows the incoming Rep's contact info - best I could find was a campaign PO box). Once she does, I'll contact her as well.
Ah, thanks - I'd forgotten to do that, just sent a thank you email to Rep Springer as well
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Locked

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”