Bill reading 101

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Bill reading 101

Post by E.Marquez »

Please correct me if I am WRONG..Or add to if I omitted something.

Bill reading 101
Example used is HB650
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85 ... navpanes=0
  • Text underlined is NEW text to the verbiage of an existing law.
    Text lined though is text from an existing law to be struck out in the new one.
Are there other "Bill reading 101" tidbits Im missing?
Does the "text" of the bill in the various versions, Introduced, House Committee Report, Engrossed, Senate Committee Report, Enrolled have other identifying marks or not obvious clues, meanings, indications or identifications?

I want to be sure I don't miss "seeing" something in a bill or understanding what it is implying or meaning.

I dont know what I dont know :tiphat:
Last edited by E.Marquez on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bill reading 101

Post by SewTexas »

you are correct.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

SewTexas wrote:you are correct.
Thank you
Am I missing anything? do you know of other marks, clues to information or "reading" a Texas state bill?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

no real clues....sometimes it feels like they make it difficult on purpose. Other times, it's really very easy.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

stroo

Post by stroo »

It is also helpful to read the definitions section or have it handy. Definitions of terms can change the meaning of the bill considerably. "Is" doesn't always mean "is" in legislation.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

stroo wrote:It is also helpful to read the definitions section or have it handy. Definitions of terms can change the meaning of the bill considerably. "Is" doesn't always mean "is" in legislation.
Thank you...and now a questions that comes to mind from that.

I just listened to Mr Cottons last three pod casts.. And they were full of "And for that we have to reference" then it was a definition someplace else in the code, or another code, or something in the admin code.

When a bill is relying, using, associated to language in another bill, code or law.....is there an indication on the bill your looking at (Say HB650)that "tells you" that the associated language has changed as well? So you know to go look at that definition that is all so important to the bill in front of you?

Or is it expected the reader of HB560 will look up every other associated law, bill or code and confirm no language changes in those documents as part of their "HB560 reading and review" ?

Bladed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bladed »

"Reading Statutes and Bills," by the Texas Legislative Council, for the 85th Legislature: http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/docs/legref/readingabill.pdf

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

It is also helpful to remember that reading the law is a skill in itself. This includes existing laws, not just bills. Another good reference is the Code Construction Act, which is a law telling the courts how to read the laws. It is in Chapter 311 of the Government Code
Steve Rothstein

stroo

Post by stroo »

Generally if a bill is not changing the definitions, you need to go to the base law that the bill is changing and look at the definitions there. Usually the definitions are in one of the first few sections of a law. If the bill is changing definitions, the definitions will usually be in an early section in the bill.

Having said that, at times you will find a definition in the substantive section of the law being amended; i.e. later in the bill. I hate when that happens but the legislators do that occasionally. There is no way of predicting when that will happens so you just need to be alert for it.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

thank you all for the recommendations.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”