SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

OlBill
Posts in topic: 5

Re: SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

Post by OlBill »

parabelum wrote:The temperament of many drivers would be enough for me not to lane split. I can see some jerk fed up with traffic "accidentally" opening his door or just slightly positioning his vehicle to one side just to see what's happening with the traffic ahead. All purely "accidental" and with no ill intent, of course.

Would next bill address prohibition of door opening while in traffic?
Another prohibition on me?

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

OlBill wrote:
parabelum wrote:The temperament of many drivers would be enough for me not to lane split. I can see some jerk fed up with traffic "accidentally" opening his door or just slightly positioning his vehicle to one side just to see what's happening with the traffic ahead. All purely "accidental" and with no ill intent, of course.

Yes , because I never saw a bill that I liked. "rlol"

I tell you what...those bills...gotta prohibit them. :smash:

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I chew tobacco. Split at your own risk.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

OlBill wrote:I chew tobacco. Split at your own risk.
So if someone engages in what might become a legal activity, you'll spit on them? Sounds like the antigunners who want to pepper spray people open carrying.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

RHenriksen wrote:
OlBill wrote:I chew tobacco. Split at your own risk.
So if someone engages in what might become a legal activity, you'll spit on them? Sounds like the antigunners who want to pepper spray people open carrying.
Is that what I said?

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

What you said was ambiguous.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

NNT

Post by NNT »

this bill or similar is brought up every session. Has not passed yet. I'll worry about it once it is decided.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

RHenriksen wrote:What you said was ambiguous.
No, it wasn't, it was plain English. I'm not going to argue about this. You've already made up your mind and put your words in my post.

Have a nice day.

Topic author
TVGuy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by TVGuy »

Liberty wrote:
bmwrdr wrote: :iagree: ... motorcycles also have a smaller carbon footprint and if one splits lanes he may make it to work on time while the car driver is late. Because there is no A/C on a motorcycle moving is essential to avoid a heat stroke and therefor it should be allowed to split lanes.

I've heard people complain about the bikes themselves overheating due to lack of airflow.
This is especially true on air cooled bikes.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

After watching some YouTube bloggers who ride in California where lane splitting is legal it seems
quite a few motorists either are ignorant of lane splitting being legal or just get mad that a rider gets to do it. They believe if they have to sit in traffic you should too. If it becomes legal I will keep pamplets of the law for when someone decides to throw a fit.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Lane spitting is probably akin to those (in cars) who, when there's a traffic queue, bolt in ahead to just being able to squeeze in front of 6/10 other cars patiently waiting in line...and the people waiting are already impatient...lane splitting and expecting people to be acquiescent just goes against human nature...it's not prudent...

Yep, lane split (and I'm not advocating) and yep, I see tobacco juice flying out of a window and/or door sacrificing and people saying: Ooooooops, sorry bout that...

BTW, for quite some time, back many moons ago, I too was a motorcyclist, though I never would've dreamed about lane splitting only because I would've expected human nature to take it's ugly course...not something I wanted to experience.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Lane spitting is probably akin to those (in cars) who, when there's a traffic queue, bolt in ahead to just being able to squeeze in front of 6/10 other cars patiently waiting in line...and the people waiting are already impatient...lane splitting and expecting people to be acquiescent just goes against human nature...it's not prudent...

Yep, lane split (and I'm not advocating) and yep, I see tobacco juice flying out of a window and/or door sacrificing and people saying: Ooooooops, sorry bout that...

BTW, for quite some time, back many moons ago, I too was a motorcyclist, though I never would've dreamed about lane splitting only because I would've expected human nature to take it's ugly course...not something I wanted to experience.
The big difference is that motorcycles aren't as wide a cars so they can safely drive in a narrower lane.
Of course, some people don't like that and may do unsafe things.
That can be said about many of the drivers I see on the road every day.
Fortunately I don't commute to work any more, but I still have the guy who seems to be in a big rush to get somewhere, usually driving a big ole pickup truck, tailgating and making unsafe lane changes.
Unfortunately motorcyclists don't have the same physical protection as some one driving a car or truck.
BTW, I have never driven a motorcycle on a public street. If I had I probably wouldn't be alive to make this post. :tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WildBill,

I completely agree, but human nature being what it is, says: Don't cut in line. Narrow. Wide. Makes no difference. You aint gettin no cuts ahead of me...

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:WildBill,

I completely agree, but human nature being what it is, says: Don't cut in line. Narrow. Wide. Makes no difference. You aint gettin no cuts ahead of me...
:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

parabelum wrote:
OlBill wrote:

Yes , because I never saw a bill that I liked. "rlol"

I tell you what...those bills...gotta prohibit them. :smash:
I resemble that! :reddevil
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”