TUESDAY HEARING HB14 allowing state psychiatric hospitals to PROHIBIT guns will have hearing in Public Health

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

TUESDAY HEARING HB14 allowing state psychiatric hospitals to PROHIBIT guns will have hearing in Public Health

Post by NotRPB »

H Scheduled for public hearing on . . . 03/07/2017

HB 14 from Rep. Murr allowing state psychiatric hospitals to prohibit guns will have hearing in Public Health on Tuesday.
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... &Bill=HB14

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TUESDAY HEARING HB14 allowing state psychiatric hospitals to PROHIBIT guns will have hearing in Public Health

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is the preferred bill to deal with carrying in specific state mental hospitals. HB14 creates a civil penalty where the other bill(s) create a criminal offense. One of the bills is grossly overly-broad and will include far more than state mental hospitals.

Chas.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TUESDAY HEARING HB14 allowing state psychiatric hospitals to PROHIBIT guns will have hearing in Public Health

Post by Skiprr »

That we have Charles Cotton watching out for us in the Texas Legislature,,,priceless.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Why is HB14 needed? What is the deficiency in existing law HB14 will correct?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

warnmar10 wrote:Why is HB14 needed? What is the deficiency in existing law HB14 will correct?
State or county facilities that have lock downs could not legally post 30.06/30.07 Most people understand that carrying a gun into a psychiatric facility is a bad idea.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Liberty wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:Why is HB14 needed? What is the deficiency in existing law HB14 will correct?
State or county facilities that have lock downs could not legally post 30.06/30.07 Most people understand that carrying a gun into a psychiatric facility is a bad idea.
UT health northeast in Tyler has a 3 psych floors. It's set up like a jail with lock boxes just outside the unit for peace officers to secure their weapons.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

In addition to what Liberty posted, no state hospitals are licensed. Therefore, the prohibition in TPC §46.035(b)(4) that applies only to licensed hospitals does not apply to state hospitals, including state mental hospitals. This means those hospitals cannot post TPC §30.06 signs without violating "Fines for Signs." HB14, unlike other versions, applies only to the ten specific state mental hospitals.

Remember, private hospitals, whether mental hospitals or otherwise, are not subject to "Fines for Signs," so HB14 will have no impact.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
In addition to what Liberty posted, no state hospitals are licensed. Therefore, the prohibition in TPC §46.035(b)(4) that applies only to licensed hospitals does not apply to state hospitals, including state mental hospitals. This means those hospitals cannot post TPC §30.06 signs without violating "Fines for Signs." HB14, unlike other versions, applies only to the ten specific state mental hospitals.

Remember, private hospitals, whether mental hospitals or otherwise, are not subject to "Fines for Signs," so HB14 will have no impact.

Chas.
Thank you for that explanation. I was wondering too......a hospital is a hospital, right? I didn't realize that this applied specifically to state-owned facilities.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is the preferred bill to deal with carrying in specific state mental hospitals. HB14 creates a civil penalty where the other bill(s) create a criminal offense. One of the bills is grossly overly-broad and will include far more than state mental hospitals.

Chas.
Skiprr wrote:That we have Charles Cotton watching out for us in the Texas Legislature,,,priceless.
:iagree:
I FIRST was against it , until I read the bill and read Charles' logic on it.
I understand the bill, I understand the FOR Stance reasons
I agree, and will watch some Dems try to pile on amendments on the floor and pray our Pro-2A elected officials stand firm on another bill regarding "places".
So far, after brief glance at all bills, I'm really only concerned with "more Places" (AND defeating all anti-2A bills that make it to hearings)

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:

To paraphrase (badly) John Kerry, I was FOR it, before I was AGAINST it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I worked at Austin State Hospital for 5 years back in my college years, and let me tell you, I would NOT want a firearm anywhere near that place.
-Ruark

Topic author
NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

WATCH NOW: House Public Health Committee to discuss HB 14 related to carrying handguns in state hospitals. http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlaye ... nt_id=2650
http://bit.ly/WatchHouseLive http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/

If not interested in that,

HB421 in Progress

If not interested in that,

the "Bathroom Bill" is at the same time in Senate hearing. http://www.senate.texas.gov/av-live.php

Ipconfig

Post by Ipconfig »

nightmare69 wrote:
Liberty wrote:
UT health northeast in Tyler has a 3 psych floors. It's set up like a jail with lock boxes just outside the unit for peace officers to secure their weapons.

And its posted 30.06 for A building. So non LEO couldn't even enter the building.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”