HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

Post by Liberty »

Maybe, I'm wrong but I believe just about every urban retail establishment would have a gunbuster sign. Easy to obtain, easy to place, and as long as they allow the licensed people not as offensive.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 12

Post by locke_n_load »

What's interesting, is that unless they are amending 30.05 in HB1911, carrying past a gunbuster sign, while carrying without a license, would be a class A misdemeanor, which means you could not carry or get a license for 5 years after conviction.

If you carry past 06/07 while carrying licensed, only a class C in most locations.

Subtle but important difference.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Ruark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ruark »

Wait a minute..... We're talking about 30.08 signs... But virtually every store in Texas already has that sign saying it's a felony to enter with an unlicensed handgun. You've seen it; there must be a million of them. So all of those will have to be removed? Ignored? It'll take years to re-educate all the store owners. Messy.
-Ruark

allisji
Posts in topic: 6

Post by allisji »

locke_n_load wrote:What's interesting, is that unless they are amending 30.05 in HB1911, carrying past a gunbuster sign, while carrying without a license, would be a class A misdemeanor, which means you could not carry or get a license for 5 years after conviction.

If you carry past 06/07 while carrying licensed, only a class C in most locations.

What that could be a pretty steep penalty for walking past what could be a very small and inconspicuously placed sign. Do gunbuster signs as they pertain to long guns currently have the force of law?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

allisji

Post by allisji »

Ruark wrote:Wait a minute..... We're talking about 30.08 signs... But virtually every store in Texas already has that sign saying it's a felony to enter with an unlicensed handgun. You've seen it; there must be a million of them. So all of those will have to be removed? Ignored? It'll take years to re-educate all the store owners. Messy.
The law as indicated in the original post would get rid of the TABC blue signs. They would become obsolete
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Post by apostate »

The committee substitute that was reported favorably is different from the bill White introduced. We'll have to wait to see what had to be changed so it could get out of committee.

Does anybody know how long it usually takes for the text to be updated on TLO? :totap:

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Ruark wrote:Wait a minute..... We're talking about 30.08 signs... But virtually every store in Texas already has that sign saying it's a felony to enter with an unlicensed handgun. You've seen it; there must be a million of them. So all of those will have to be removed? Ignored? It'll take years to re-educate all the store owners. Messy.
30.08 was removed from the bill. Gunbuster would invoke 30.05 last I saw. And yeah, blue TABC signs going away if it passes.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

allisji wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:What's interesting, is that unless they are amending 30.05 in HB1911, carrying past a gunbuster sign, while carrying without a license, would be a class A misdemeanor, which means you could not carry or get a license for 5 years after conviction.

What that could be a pretty steep penalty for walking past what could be a very small and inconspicuously placed sign. Do gunbuster signs as they pertain to long guns currently have the force of law?
Gunbusters already apply to long rifles, I believe.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

allisji

Post by allisji »

locke_n_load wrote:
allisji wrote:

Gunbusters already apply to long rifles, I believe.
I assume that they theoretically do have the force of law then?

IMO, there is a problem with the gunbuster signs being unregulated and having force of law in regards to CC of handguns. They could be inconspicuously posted and the carrier wouldn't know that he was committing a crime. However if the legislature removes the force of law from gunbuster signs, then property owners must give verbal notification if they wish to ban guns to unlicensed carriers. However Charles has stated that the legislature chose to give the force of law to the 30.06/30.07 signs as a property owner shouldn't have to have a verbal confrontation in order to ban licensed carriers from carrying on his/her property (property owner's rights). So I would think that either the legislature will either want to regulate the posting of gunbuster signs and give them force of law, or remove force of law from 30.06/30.07 signs.

Anyone know of a sticker business I can invest in?
LTC since 2015

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Russell wrote:
thatguyoverthere wrote:
Russell wrote:It is my understanding that unfortunately they removed the 30.08 signage from this latest version of the bill, so it'll be impossible for us to track locations that prohibit constitutional carry. :-(

30.05 restrictions (Gunbusters) will be all it takes to prevent unlicensed carry.
So why not track it that way? People submit locations that have "gunbuster" signs and you list it separately from the 30.06/07 signs. What is my simple mind missing in being able to do that? :headscratch

Because of the sheer amount of them. While you're out next time keep your eyes peeled for any "No guns allowed" signs, a gun with a slash through it, etc. You'll be surprised! We would end up just mapping out the yellow pages - too much data that would make the site and apps quickly worthless. We haven't even talked yet about the performance hit the apps would experience trying to handle all of those pins....

Too much to map.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight. :tiphat:

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

sorry if this has been addressed,
but i just spent an hr reading the hb 1911 at tlo.
am i correct to understand churches will be a no carry place?
thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Papa_Tiger »

powerboatr wrote:sorry if this has been addressed,
but i just spent an hr reading the hb 1911 at tlo.
am i correct to understand churches will be a no carry place?
thanks
What is currently on TLO is the bill as introduced, which may or may not have any relation to the Committee Substitute HB 1911. In the introduced bill, churches would be off limits if you are provided effective notice under PC 30.06 or 30.07. Both of those signs would have been changed to apply to licensed and unlicensed concealed and open carry.

Be sure to read 46.035(i) which states:

"(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06 or 30.07."

(b)(4) = Hospitals
(b)(5) = Amusement Parks
(b)(6) = Places of worship
(c) = Government meetings subject to open meetings requirements

Ruark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ruark »

allisji wrote:
The law as indicated in the original post would get rid of the TABC blue signs. They would become obsolete
Are you talking about this sign? This is the one I'm referring to. Probably 90% of the public stores in Texas have these posted somewhere, certainly every convenience store, gas station, etc.
nogunsign.JPG
-Ruark

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Ruark wrote:
allisji wrote:
Are you talking about this sign? This is the one I'm referring to. Probably 90% of the public stores in Texas have these posted somewhere, certainly every convenience store, gas station, etc.
nogunsign.JPG
That sign is required if a business sells alcohol. If 90% of the businesses you enter have this sign, then I'm guessing you tend to go places that sell alcohol. And yes, this is the sign that would become obsolete.

Absent a 30.08 sign, then carrying a gun (without a license) past a "gun buster" sign would be a class A misdemeanor in the same way that an overweight woman who gets in a car that has a "no fat chicks" bumper sticker also commits a class A misdemeanor today. Or a sales person who walks through a gate that has a "no solicitors" sign. These unlicensed gun carriers will be joining these other types of folks in "taking the ride", and being prosecuted.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Ruark wrote:
allisji wrote:
nogunsign.JPG
That sign is required if a business sells alcohol. If 90% of the businesses you enter have this sign, then I'm guessing you tend to go places that sell alcohol. And yes, this is the sign that would become obsolete.

Absent a 30.08 sign, then carrying a gun (without a license) past a "gun buster" sign would be a class A misdemeanor in the same way that an overweight woman who gets in a car that has a "no fat chicks" bumper sticker also commits a class A misdemeanor today. Or a sales person who walks through a gate that has a "no solicitors" sign. These unlicensed gun carriers will be joining these other types of folks in "taking the ride", and being prosecuted.

:iagree: "rlol" "rlol" "im lovin it"!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”