Did we get shut out this year

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton


Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#46

Post by Papa_Tiger » Tue May 23, 2017 1:17 pm

tx85 wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:HB 913 - De-regulation of Suppressors, other non-NFA items - On Senate Local and Consent Calendar
That's not what HB913 does. The latest version (passed out of Senate committee) bans "improvised explosive devices".
Whoops! I'm completely messed up here! That was supposed to be HB 1819 which was already sent to the governor. I'll fix my post above.


powerboatr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Quitman

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#47

Post by powerboatr » Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 pm

wow...2 more years and not much was done.

my reps are about to get unloaded on.
glad some firearm legislation was done..
but they dropped ball on other important items
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy


doncb
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:49 am

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#48

Post by doncb » Thu May 25, 2017 8:42 pm

powerboatr wrote:wow...2 more years and not much was done.
If you listen closely you can here the plaintive sound of the LTC. "Maybe in 2 years. Maybe in 2 years." You can hear it every 2 years for some reason.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#49

Post by ScottDLS » Fri May 26, 2017 3:53 pm

We need to name these bills better - "The helping children and cute cuddly kittens, by removing restrictions act". What are you AGAINST CHILDREN AND KITTENS? :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

The Dude
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#50

Post by The Dude » Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Unless they pull off a legislative Hail Mary, it looks like incumbents have an uphill battle next year.
ABIDE

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3072
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#51

Post by SewTexas » Sat May 27, 2017 12:29 am

guys, I literally heard one of the leges say that the reason some bill that was suppose to be for psych services for kids didn't get passed was because they reduced the fee for CHLs and that reduced the budget by MILLIONS of dollars! seriously, that's what he said!
Now, 1. you'd have a hard time convincing me that reducing the fee by that much reduced any budget by that much. and 2. I thought our fee money wasn't suppose to be going into the General Budget, it was suppose to be paying for the CHL processing only, therefore it should be staying within DPS.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#52

Post by Flightmare » Sat May 27, 2017 1:06 am

SewTexas wrote:guys, I literally heard one of the leges say that the reason some bill that was suppose to be for psych services for kids didn't get passed was because they reduced the fee for CHLs and that reduced the budget by MILLIONS of dollars! seriously, that's what he said!
Now, 1. you'd have a hard time convincing me that reducing the fee by that much reduced any budget by that much. and 2. I thought our fee money wasn't suppose to be going into the General Budget, it was suppose to be paying for the CHL processing only, therefore it should be staying within DPS.
What should be happening, and what WAS happening are 2 different things. The excess was funneled into the general fund, hence why it should have been a slam dunk to reduce the fee to just he cost to the state.

As to the larger question of this thread;
Did we get shut out this year?

There are many things that I and others would have liked to see but didn't come to fruition (HB 560 comes to mind). However to say that we were "shut out" I think is misleading.
  • SB 16 passed reducing the fees for new and renewal of LTCs. This should hopefully increase the number of LTCs, and therefore increase the impact that LTCs have on society.

    SB 263 is still a possibility to remove the minimum caliber restriction for the LTC proficiency test.

    SB 2065 was amended for volunteer security at places of worship and may still pass.
There are still others that are pending that may help to further restore 2nd amendment rights. We may not have got everything we wanted on our wish list, but we DID make progress.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


gljjt
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#53

Post by gljjt » Sat May 27, 2017 8:29 am

doncb wrote:
powerboatr wrote:wow...2 more years and not much was done.
If you listen closely you can here the plaintive sound of the LTC. "Maybe in 2 years. Maybe in 2 years." You can hear it every 2 years for some reason.

Yep. Didn't roll back 140 years of bad laws in one session. Total failure. /SARCASM OFF

User avatar

4copas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Lake Dallas

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#54

Post by 4copas » Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 am

Take a look at all the bad gun bills filed that attack our 2nd amendment rights. Good and bad bills listed here by Charles.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session

As far as I can tell, attacking bills got nowhere. While we didn't get all we wanted to move forward, we did fight off going backwards. That fight will always be there, probably increases sad to say.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#55

Post by jmorris » Sat May 27, 2017 9:34 pm

SewTexas wrote:guys, I literally heard one of the leges say that the reason some bill that was suppose to be for psych services for kids didn't get passed was because they reduced the fee for CHLs and that reduced the budget by MILLIONS of dollars! seriously, that's what he said!
Now, 1. you'd have a hard time convincing me that reducing the fee by that much reduced any budget by that much. and 2. I thought our fee money wasn't suppose to be going into the General Budget, it was suppose to be paying for the CHL processing only, therefore it should be staying within DPS.
I'd always heard the opposite, that all fees went into the general fund with the DPS LTC folks having a set budget. This is why they couldn't ramp up during the high volume times.
Jay E Morris
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC
NRA Lifetime/Recuiter
Cibolo, TX


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1288
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#56

Post by TreyHouston » Sat May 27, 2017 9:34 pm

:iagree:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#57

Post by Ruark » Sat May 27, 2017 9:49 pm

4copas wrote:Take a look at all the bad gun bills filed that attack our 2nd amendment rights. Good and bad bills listed here by Charles.
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session
Excellent document. Found a typo in HB 913. Should be "NFA paperwork," not "NRA paperwork."
-Ruark

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4850
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#58

Post by flintknapper » Wed May 31, 2017 11:50 am

4copas wrote:Take a look at all the bad gun bills filed that attack our 2nd amendment rights. Good and bad bills listed here by Charles.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session

As far as I can tell, attacking bills got nowhere. While we didn't get all we wanted to move forward, we did fight off going backwards. That fight will always be there, probably increases sad to say.
A little disappointed, but I agree...there was progress made and also the staving off of bad gun bills was a good thing.

I guess its just disheartening when I see bills like 560 not make much headway but a bill to allow such frivolous things as Shooting Feral Hogs from a Hot Air Balloon make the grade. Sheeeesh.

You know that's got to be important! :roll:


"H.B. 3535 amends the Parks and Wildlife Code to authorize a qualified landowner or landowner's agent, as determined by Parks and Wildlife Commission rule, to contract to participate as a hunter or observer in using a hot air balloon to take depredating feral hogs or coyotes under the authority of a permit to manage wildlife and exotic animals from aircraft. The bill requires the commission to adopt rules as necessary to implement the bill.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB3535
"
Spartans ask not how many, but where!


FCMatt
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#59

Post by FCMatt » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Knife law is signed today and in effect 9/1

Since knives are most definitely a 2 A item, getting rid of 90% of the carry restrictions on them makes this year not a shut out in my opinion.

Time to upgrade my large cold steel espada to an XL in the new powder steel. :txflag:

Ooh, and a REAL Bowie knife, and a double edged benchmade auto.
Gov. Abbot, you gonna ruin my bank balance now :cheers2:

Somebody make sure to link the first Conan the barbarian or walking dead samurai to walk through downtown in September. This is gonna be fun.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1288
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Did we get shut out this year

#60

Post by TreyHouston » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 pm

FCMatt wrote:Knife law is signed today and in effect 9/1

Since knives are most definitely a 2 A item, getting rid of 90% of the carry restrictions on them makes this year not a shut out in my opinion.

Time to upgrade my large cold steel espada to an XL in the new powder steel. :txflag:

Ooh, and a REAL Bowie knife, and a double edged benchmade auto.
Gov. Abbot, you gonna ruin my bank balance now :cheers2:

Somebody make sure to link the first Conan the barbarian or walking dead samurai to walk through downtown in September. This is gonna be fun.
"rlol" ya know its gonna happen too! There is always one nut in the bag that will put it on YouTube
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Locked

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”