Amend the "holster" requirement for OC????

This is the forum for topics directly related to desired changes in the upcoming legislative session.

Moderator: carlson1

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Amend the "holster" requirement for OC????

Post by rtschl »

parabelum wrote:There's bigger fish to fry. I'd leave this one alone. Just my opinion.
:iagree:

I agree with "holster or pocket" but how about waiting a session or two. A lot of political capital was used to get OC passed and I don't think there is any desire to touch anything related to OC by the legislature. IMHO there are several other issues that need attention first - like reducing/eliminating off limit areas...
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

rtschl wrote:
parabelum wrote:There's bigger fish to fry. I'd leave this one alone. Just my opinion.

I agree with "holster or pocket" but how about waiting a session or two. A lot of political capital was used to get OC passed and I don't think there is any desire to touch anything related to OC by the legislature. IMHO there are several other issues that need attention first - like reducing/eliminating off limit areas...
Are they mutually exclusive? Would a "holster or pocket" amendment would diminish the prospects of more important legislation being passed? If so, by all means forget it for this session.
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

My personal opinion is that it would not be wise to reopen the holster issue. Opening this section of the code to amendment will make restraint holsters germane, as well as a holster requirement for concealed-carry as well as open-carry. I don't think the risk is warranted when there's no problem to fix.

Chas.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:My personal opinion is that it would not be wise to reopen the holster issue. Opening this section of the code to amendment will make restraint holsters germane, as well as a holster requirement for concealed-carry as well as open-carry. I don't think the risk is warranted when there's no problem to fix.

Chas.
NRA Endowment Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:My personal opinion is that it would not be wise to reopen the holster issue. Opening this section of the code to amendment will make restraint holsters germane, as well as a holster requirement for concealed-carry as well as open-carry. I don't think the risk is warranted when there's no problem to fix.

Chas.
:iagree: :iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I think the concern was to prevent people from walking around with an unholstered weapon in their hand. Maybe change the requirement to just say "holster" so pocket holsters would also be OK. Personally, I am fine with a requirement for a holster that at least covers the trigger, but I don't see the harm in allowing a pocket holster, or even an ankle holster (if you are wearing shorts and sandals, for example.
The ankle holsters I have seen are belt holster, the wrap around the ankle and attach to itself just as a belt around the waist. No where in the law does it say a belt has to go around the waist.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I have a Grassburr Leather Works holster for my car that's not a belt or shoulder holster, but is a lot more secure than it being in a belt holster on the seat next to me. Which one is illegal though? The one that's securely mounted to my center console. (I do have a concealment cover for it, but it inhibits drawing.)

Although I do agree with Charles. This is a 99.999% non-issue, and opening it back up could backfire by way of more restrictions or at the very least, spending political capital when it could be better spent elsewhere, such as removing off-limits locations.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

allisji

Post by allisji »

george72 wrote:If I see a pistol grip sticking out of your pocket gangster style I'm going to assume that you're a bad guy. I personally don't think that helps our (LTC holders) collective image, and yes image is an issue with the current state of politicians trying to strip our rights. $0.02.
Often, to and from work (when I stop for groceries, for example) I carry a little .380 in a pocket holster, my pockets are deep enough that it is pretty well concealed (though my pants not loose enough that a knowledgeable person might recognize the print). However, if my pockets were less deep the back of the grip would be exposed, however the trigger is still covered by my pocket holster.

I prefer IWB carry, but my uniform pants are loose enough to accommodate my IWB holster, and the pocket holster is too convenient to pass up in this situation.

Without actually seeing the original poster, you have assumed that they will look like a BG. I don't think that's fair. That said, I wouldn't pocket carry without a pocket holster. I want the trigger to be covered when not being deployed.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “2017 Legislative Wish List”