Concealed carry by school employees

This is the forum for topics directly related to desired changes in the upcoming legislative session.

Moderator: carlson1

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Concealed carry by school employees

Post by Abraham »

apvonkanel,

Tell me if I have this right: You would like to see LTCers/school employees able to carry inside school, but you have many, many reservations about it?

Do I understand you correctly?

Or...?

Thanks!

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RogueUSMC »

Abraham wrote:apvonkanel,

Tell me if I have this right: You would like to see LTCers/school employees able to carry inside school, but you have many, many reservations about it?

Or...?

Thanks!
That's about the gist of it I think...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Mxrdad wrote:Ninja, are you saying you are against school employees from legally carrying?
I don't think they should have any more or less restriction on carrying in schools than plumbers or grandfathers.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

ninjabread wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:Ninja, are you saying you are against school employees from legally carrying?
I don't think they should have any more or less restriction on carrying in schools than plumbers or grandfathers.
DING DING DING! *finger to nose*
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mxrdad »

Alright, alright,alright. Take it easy. :patriot: :lol: I had a "Senile" moment there. Now I think I need a comfort puppy. Where do those Libs keep them things? :smilelol5:
Just some guy's opinion.

NNT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NNT »

Utah can carry into schools, teachers can carry, and the school can't ask a teacher if they are carrying or not. They CANNOT leave it in their desk or whatever, basic safety practices or course. I don't recall hearing any issues that arise from it.

"As a permit holder, exactly, where can I carry or not carry a handgun?
The concealed firearm permit allows an individual to carry a firearm fully loaded and concealed. The permit also allows an individual to carry a firearm into public schools. Permit holders can not carry a firearm into federal or state restricted areas i.e. any airport secured area, federal facilities, courts, correctional & mental health facilities, law enforcement secured areas, a house of worship or private residence where notice given and/or posted, any secured area in which firearms are prohibited and notice posted, or otherwise prohibited by state of federal law."

Topic author
apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 16

Post by apvonkanel »

Or...?

Thanks!
I would like school employed LTCers to be able to carry, but have reservations about about non-employees carrying. Although many people seem to be missing the point, it has nothing to do with whether or not non-employees will be safe, but everything to do with the fact that most non-employees don't know how to handle themselves in a school without effectively breaking the educational environment.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

apvonkanel wrote:

Or...?

Thanks!
I would like school employed LTCers to be able to carry, but have reservations about about non-employees carrying. Although many people seem to be missing the point, it has nothing to do with whether or not non-employees will be safe, but everything to do with the fact that most non-employees don't know how to handle themselves in a school without effectively breaking the educational environment.
So your issue is not that non-employees would be carrying in the school, it's non-employees being in the school in general and "breaking the educational environment"?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

apvonkanel,

Thank you for responding, but I'm still struggling with your explanation. It's still not clear to me...

Plus, what does "breaking the educational environment" mean?

That term is so ambiguous as to be meaningless...

Do you maintain that people who aren't educators, but have LTC's can't be trusted?

Please, if you can and will, speak a bit more plainly if you want to be understood.

Thanks!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jusme »

apvonkanel wrote:

Or...?

Thanks!

If anyone, school employee, or non-school employee, has to use a gun to stop an attack, I fully believe the "educational environment" would be the least of anyone's concerns. I think that you have a bias toward the general public, based on a few incidences, and by saying that "most" non-school employees don't know how to handle themselves is painting with a very large brush. Picking only school employees, to be allowed to carry in schools, is tantamount to only allowing LEO to carry, in prohibited places. That is where we are now, with all of these things, and while school employees, may be trained to deal with the day to day activities, in a school, that doesn't mean that any other LTC holder should be excluded. It would be the same if someone put a sign on a restaurant saying all LTC holders who are "not" school employees may enter with their handguns, because school employees don't understand the intricacies of how this business operates. Public schools are just that "public" these people who you say are going to "break the educational environment" pay for that educational environment. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

No gun toting LTC accoutered (I love that word, sounds like someone afflicted with cooties) educators will be allowed in my restaurant as they very well and quite probably will "break the restaurant environment" with their terrible table manners.

So there!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I worked in the public school system for 20+ years. I truly feel that the percentage of LTC holders that "break the educational environment" are less than the teachers that work there. Nothing against teachers, but there are too many teachers that teach because they have a certificate and it is a paycheck till something else comes around. More people homeschool their children because the are concerned with of the quality of education not received than they are concerned with the number of LTC holders that come on campus.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

apvonkanel wrote:I would like school employed LTCers to be able to carry, but have reservations about about non-employees carrying. Although many people seem to be missing the point, it has nothing to do with whether or not non-employees will be safe, but everything to do with the fact that most non-employees don't know how to handle themselves in a school without effectively breaking the educational environment.
Maybe we should apply your logic to other locations. I think health care workers should be able to carry in all hospitals, but no one else. Other people just wouldn't know how to handle themselves in a health care facility in such a way as to not disturb patient therapies.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

twomillenium,

Do you "know" what "break the educational environment" defines as and is it a common term used by teachers/educators in general?

Or, is it, as I suspect, a form of gobbledegook double speak?

I fully appreciate some folks in education prefer fifty words when two will do, but then those outside education might actually understand them and for the educators, obfuscation is the preferred method of non-articulation.

jkurtz,

Wouldn't want to "break the patient therapy environment" would we...?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

apvonkanel wrote:

Or...?

Thanks!
I don't know if it is your intent, but this response comes across as extremely elitist and condescending. It's a wonder y'all are able to get anything done with all of them thar students "breaking the educational environment". Maybe you should have an educational environment that is not quite so fragile in the first place.

Return to “2017 Legislative Wish List”