HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 21

HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by jerry_r60 »

HB 1927 is on the Senate floor now and live: https://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPla ... nt_id=3863

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by RPBrown »

Man, listening to Hinojosa makes me wonder who let the nut house in the Senate. He is asking the same questions but not listening to the answers
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I love the senator from Hidalgo who doesn't have a clue about current gun laws. Claiming that people who can't legally possess a gun will somehow be able to carry a gun now under this bill.

I especially liked it when he said that a cocaine addict could carry a gun under this bill. But I really wished that the author would have said "oh, you mean a criminal like Hunter Biden? Yeah he couldn't legally carry, just like he couldn't legally own a gun when he broke the current law. Those types of criminals will likely not follow any laws."

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

You guys have a stronger stomach than I do. I listened to one exchange w. Hinojosa, and had to mute the feed. :banghead:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:14 pm I love the senator from Hidalgo who doesn't have a clue about current gun laws. Claiming that people who can't legally possess a gun will somehow be able to carry a gun now under this bill.

I especially liked it when he said that a cocaine addict could carry a gun under this bill. But I really wished that the author would have said "oh, you mean a criminal like Hunter Biden? Yeah he couldn't legally carry, just like he couldn't legally own a gun when he broke the current law. Those types of criminals will likely not follow any laws."
I'm not so sure he doesn't understand exactly how the law works. I suspect he does but he phrases his points and comments to get across what he wants regardless of what is actually in the law.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Flightmare »

For being a senator who has not publicly declared her position, Senator Huffman sure is asking some friendly questions.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Flightmare wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:34 pm For being a senator who has not publicly declared her position, Senator Huffman sure is asking some friendly questions.
She's doing a great job making it very clear who is still not legally going to be able to carry and that this bill doesn't all of a sudden allow these folks to carry.

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Blanco is trying to turn the bill into something completely different. His stuff just needs to be in it's own stand alone bills and then see if they fly or not.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Flightmare »

Wow... "should call this convenience carry, or careless carry, or reckless carry". I can tell where this guy is voting.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Flightmare wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:55 pm Wow... "should call this convenience carry, or careless carry, or reckless carry". I can tell where this guy is voting.
At least he has done a good job clearly articulating his position and drawing clear legal distinction in positions. To his point, I think throughout this hearing and also in the house and in committee the language used by Schwertner has not been "constitutional carry" but instead "Permitless Carry".

I think it's been more in the general public and places like on this forum that the phrase "constitutional carry" has been tagged to the bill. I don't think it's by accident that Schwertner et.al. use "Permitless".

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

Can't bear to watch for more than a minute at a time.

#theskyisNOTfalling
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ELB
Posts in topic: 13

Post by ELB »

jerry_r60 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:23 pm ...

I'm not so sure he doesn't understand exactly how the law works. I suspect he does but he phrases his points and comments to get across what he wants regardless of what is actually in the law.
This. Anti-2A forces are going for emotional response, don't care if what they say is true or not (and it's generally "not").
USAF 1982-2005

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by NotRPB »

i did not know i was supposed to vote in this push poll"
"Majority of Texans" did not even vote
this liberal "newpaper" purports that over half the population of Texas (a Majority of Texans) voted
They need to back up that FakeNews with proof
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/03 ... ture-poll/

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

For any that have not been following along today from the beginning or through committee, it sounds like there will be 6 or I think 8 amendments that are favorable to the author that will be put forward once we get past this portion of debate. I don't know how many unfavorable amendments are going to come out of the woodwork to drag this out, try to water it down or to try and act as poison pills.

Owens
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Owens »

Been watching intermittently. Some of the 'questions' being asked make it more than obvious that they just don't get it. They are blinded by agenda, oblivious to truth.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”