HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by Flightmare »

Vol Texan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 am
crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am Abbott may have plans to sign this at a event at the Alamo!
I say that he should sign it at the West Freeway Church of Christ in White Settlement. That would make a statement!
Another interesting location would be the Luby's Massacre Memorial in KIlleen.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TxRVer »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:01 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am Abbott may have plans to sign this at a event at the Alamo!
I say that he should sign it at the West Freeway Church of Christ in White Settlement. That would make a statement!
Another interesting location would be the Luby's Massacre Memorial in KIlleen.
Excellent suggestion.
Charlie

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

Great idea
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

dru
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dru »

by my count, tomorrow is the last day to sign, not sign, or veto HB 1927. I can't find anything about a signing ceremony. TLO indicates abbott's not taking any action. If he signs it becomes law. If he doesn't sign, it still becomes law. If he vetoes, then its done. Either way, the only way this thing doesn't become law is with positive action on the part of Abbott.

So with that said - what's the signing ceremony? I can't find anything online about any announcement or time/place to sign it. most recent news articles are from early june saying that the bill was sent to abbott. Maybe I missed it.

ELB
Posts in topic: 13

Post by ELB »

Dunno. The Governor's website lists all the bills he has so far filed without signature, all the bills he has vetoed (just one, so far), and all the bills he has signed. HB1927 is not on any of those lists, so I assume it is still in the in-basket awaiting signature and a ceremony.

The Governor has 20 days after the end of the legislative session to veto or sign any bill that was passed in the last 10 days of the session (not counting Sundays during the session). So as I think already mentioned above in the thread, Gov Abbott has until the end of the day on Sunday, 20 June 2021, to act on HB 1927. And hold a signing event, which I suspect is invitation-only and the press will get a notice about it just in time to show up.
USAF 1982-2005

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

Eric Brakey, a former Maine legislator who'd sponsored Maine's CC bill, posted on FB yesterday (on the Gun Owners of Maine page) that Gov Abbott would be signing the CC bill this Thursday. No link to a corroborating source, though, so take it with a grain or three of salt.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

oljames3
Posts in topic: 16

Post by oljames3 »

dru wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:20 am by my count, tomorrow is the last day to sign, not sign, or veto HB 1927. I can't find anything about a signing ceremony. TLO indicates abbott's not taking any action. If he signs it becomes law. If he doesn't sign, it still becomes law. If he vetoes, then its done. Either way, the only way this thing doesn't become law is with positive action on the part of Abbott.

So with that said - what's the signing ceremony? I can't find anything online about any announcement or time/place to sign it. most recent news articles are from early june saying that the bill was sent to abbott. Maybe I missed it.
No. In Texas, when a bill passes within 10 days of final adjournment, the Governor has 20 days from the day of final adjournment to sign or veto the bill or it becomes law without his signature. https://www.house.texas.gov/about-us/bill/

HB1927 was signed in both the Senate and the House on 5/27/21. https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1927

Final adjournment was 5/31/21. https://www.ltgov.texas.gov/2021/05/31/ ... e-session/

Governor Abbot has until 6/20/21 to sign or veto the bill or it becomes law without his signature.

In any case, HB1927 contains an effective date of 9/1/21.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

RHenriksen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:39 pm Eric Brakey, a former Maine legislator who'd sponsored Maine's CC bill, posted on FB yesterday (on the Gun Owners of Maine page) that Gov Abbott would be signing the CC bill this Thursday. No link to a corroborating source, though, so take it with a grain or three of salt.
The best I've found is Rachel Malone's post on GOA Texas' Facebook page saying she will have an update tomorrow, Thursday, 7/17/21.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GOATexas/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

dru
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dru »

> No. In Texas, when a bill passes within 10 days of final adjournment, the Governor has 20 days from the day of final adjournment to sign or veto the bill or it becomes law without his signature. https://www.house.texas.gov/about-us/bill/

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Well either way he's running short on time. I can't imagine he lets this go without taking a victory lap on it. It makes me wonder why he's taking his time with the bill. I know it doesn't change the effective date but geez.....

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

dru wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:30 pm > No. In Texas, when a bill passes within 10 days of final adjournment, the Governor has 20 days from the day of final adjournment to sign or veto the bill or it becomes law without his signature. https://www.house.texas.gov/about-us/bill/

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Well either way he's running short on time. I can't imagine he lets this go without taking a victory lap on it. It makes me wonder why he's taking his time with the bill. I know it doesn't change the effective date but geez.....
Abbott had/has hundreds of bills to sign from the 87th legislature. Also, it takes time to arrange a suitable location, media coverage, and to ensure the all of the notable folks can attend. Similar to signing the bill that provides for carrying openly, Abbott wants to make a show. Good for him and good for us.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Stats:

87th Legislature Statistics

The following bill statistics were calculated on June 15 at 9:10 a.m.
House Bills (HBs) & Senate Bills (SBs)
Filed 6,927
Sent to the Governor 1,073
Signed by the Governor 589
Filed without the Governor's signature 34
Vetoed by the Governor 1
House Joint Resolutions (HJRs) & Senate Joint Resolutions (SJRs)
Filed 221
Filed with the Secretary of State 8
House Concurrent Resolutions (HCRs) & Senate Concurrent Resolutions (SCRs)
Filed 179
Filed with the Secretary of State 14
Sent to the Governor 86
Signed by the Governor 64
Vetoed by the Governor 0

https://lrl.texas.gov/whatsNew/client/i ... ie-June-15
USAF 1982-2005

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Papa_Tiger »

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm
dru wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:30 pm > No. In Texas, when a bill passes within 10 days of final adjournment, the Governor has 20 days from the day of final adjournment to sign or veto the bill or it becomes law without his signature. https://www.house.texas.gov/about-us/bill/

Abbott had/has hundreds of bills to sign from the 87th legislature. Also, it takes time to arrange a suitable location, media coverage, and to ensure the all of the notable folks can attend. Similar to signing the bill that provides for carrying openly, Abbott wants to make a show. Good for him and good for us.
I had the thought that they may not want to give a lot of notice of a signing ceremony to reduce the risk of leftist loons showing up to protest the bill.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 4

Post by crazy2medic »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm

I had the thought that they may not want to give a lot of notice of a signing ceremony to reduce the risk of leftist loons showing up to protest the bill.
Thing is this ain't Portland, DPS would take great delight in REMOVING Leftest Loons!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Thing is this ain't Portland, DPS would take great delight in REMOVING Leftest Loons!
I use to think that too. Until they shut down an intersection at the border of Plano and Frisco and got away with it.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”