2022 assault Weapons Ban

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 3

2022 assault Weapons Ban

Post by howdy »

This is the law that will be voted on by the House

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... /1808/text
Last edited by howdy on Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2022 assault Weapons Ban

Post by Tex1961 »

Totally unconstitutional, and good luck turning millions of American citizens into felons and good luck getting us to give them up.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

The debate on C-Span is infuriating.

I wish we could give live responses.
Last edited by eyedoc on Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/AqeckQi1NTOmWbXDhgCRM9Q

Bill passed house. On to Senate.

Anyone know what’s in it?

Xiden said it would make streets safer, as if many homicides are committed with semi automatic rifles.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:27 pm https://apple.news/AqeckQi1NTOmWbXDhgCRM9Q

Bill passed house. On to Senate.

Anyone know what’s in it?

Xiden said it would make streets safer, as if many homicides are committed with semi automatic rifles.
Here's a PDF of the text (128 pages, 212 co-sponsors, no amendments) as it was on Union Calendar 346: https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr18 ... 1808rh.pdf. Of note, though, is if you really want to dig into it you'll also need to have the current U.S. Code 18 at hand because a number of the changes reference short text replacements without describing what's being replaced...in other words, no strikethrough and additions inline notations.

We should probably also frame all this with a note that on July 25 Congress gave itself a new "residential security program" whereby each lawmaker will receive up to $10,000 to beef up their home security plus an additional $150 per month for alarm monitoring fees. So...Congress is happy for you to severely decrease your ability to protect yourself and your family, but simultaneous with passing this bill they decide that they'd better use a lot of your tax dollars to better secure their own homes. We have 435 members of the U.S. House of Representatives. That equals $4.35 million up front, plus $65,250 per month ($783,000 every year).

Some highlights from HR 1808 RH:

U.S. Code 18, Section 921(a) would be amended to give us a new legal definition for something called a "semiautomatic assault weapon." This new definition starts on page 5 and doesn't wrap up until page 16 with this nifty catch-all: "Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraphs (A) through (K) can be assembled." And, yes, the all-time scary barrel shroud is back.

After that, on line 15 of page 16, we have the new definition of a "large capacity ammunition feeding device." Basically, if your grandmother can knit something that could hold more than 15 rounds, you're out of luck.

The definitions of prohibited items continue until page 19. One interesting item of note to hunters and benchrest shooters is that "the term 'pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock or Thordsen-type grip or stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip."

Quoting the proposed amendment to U.S. Code 18 Section 922:
(a)(v)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a semiautomatic assault weapon.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession, sale, or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2022.
As an aside, I've seen some memes lately that point to the Ruger Mini-14 as an example of a gun that would stupidly be banned. However, the bill specifically excludes the Mini-14 so long as it doesn't have those extra-deadly scary items, a folding or telescoping stock or a or pistol grip. Can't have that, can we? Oh, and Tom Selleck will be glad to hear that the Cimarron Quigley Model 1874 Sharps is also specifically permitted, per the bill. So you can get one of those for home defense.

What I hope is the result of this bill is that it is summarily quashed and laughed at in the Senate, and that meanwhile the sales of the bazillion things that would newly qualify as the oxymoronic "semiautomatic assault weapon" goes absolutely through the roof. The same "grandfather" terms apply to "large capacity ammunition feeding devices," so I hope those sales immediately soar, as well. In fact, I could probably use some new AR-10 mags.

However, transfer/sale of any grandfathered "semiautomatic assault weapon" will have to go through an FFL so that the government has a record (aka, gun registry) of everything:
Beginning on the date that is 90 days after the date of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2022, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.... For purposes of this subsection, the term ‘transfer’ shall include a sale, gift, or loan; and does not include temporary custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon for purposes of examination or evaluation by a prospective transferee.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

News reports suggest that the sponsors of this bill knew that it was not going anywhere in the Senate but that the concept of creating it was to get House members "on record" for voting for and against it - to be used in fund raising and campaign materials. Many of the things like the Manchin trickery are aimed at energizing a currently lack-luster response among the extremists in the Democratic coalition. The more raw meat that they can throw to them, the more likely it is that they will come out in a large enough block to save some of the most vulnerable Democratic seats. The Senate is definitely in play and the House passing and the Senate blocking this bill may help.

This all assumes that the voting public is not going to just follow the "its the economy, stupid" line of voting.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bottom line. I don’t care who passes what…I will not comply. End of story. I heartily invite all members of Congress who voted for this abomination to be the first to line up in any stack outside a gun-owner's front door. I’m all for bringing back tar, feathers, and fence-rails.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Way too broad on the firearms it would ban, but It’ll never pass the Senate anyway.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Keith B wrote
It’ll never pass the Senate anyway.
Don't be too sure. Cornyn is still in the Senate and he's already stabbed us in the back once.

SigSour

Post by SigSour »

The fact that the "House" passed a very unconstitutional bill following the SCOTUS ruling should raise eyebrows. A few more votes in the Senate and it would definitely be signed into law. It still has a chance, small maybe, but... Would it get struck down by SCOTUS? With the current one yes, with one from a few years ago or in the future, who knows.

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mayor »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:46 pm Bottom line. I don’t care who passes what…I will not comply. End of story. I heartily invite all members of Congress who voted for this abomination to be the first to line up in any stack outside a gun-owner's front door. I’m all for bringing back tar, feathers, and fence-rails.
Nor will I.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i have not read the bill, but what is the "who is licensed" part? are they saying if you own a grandfathered firearm you must now get some sort of federal license?

"Assault Weapons Ban of 2022, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, "
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

I think they mean FFL license?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”