Wait 'til next year. 2023 Edition

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 4

Wait 'til next year. 2023 Edition

Post by tomneal »

Yes. I know there is an election next Tuesday. I am counting my Texas Legislators before they're elected.

What is on your list for next years legislative session?

I'd like to reduce the number and type of places where CHL holders are NOT allowed to carry. For example: My local bowling ally thinks it's a 51% bar. So does my favorite local breastaurant.

I don't drink when I pack but it shouldn't the law be the same as when you're driving?

Of course folks in the know have had their Texas wish list ready for years. As it often happens, I am late to the party. But in my defense, the Bruen decision was just this summer.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wait 'til next year. 2023 Edition

Post by RoyGBiv »

Reduce carrying past signs to an infraction without a fine, unless failing to leave after being asked.

Deport Beto.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

School Safety

Texas CHL Holders should be required to pack when picking up their kids from school.

Teachers and staff (with regular CHL's) should be allowed to pack without getting permission from the school district.

Uniformed Texas Law Enforcement Officers should be required to walk thru schools several times per week. As part of their 'normal' duties.

Group punishment should be required in case of a mass shooting event like Uvalde. The 'group' should include the entire school police force and each of the school principals and vice-principals in the district.
See you at the range

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

It is certainly true that school safety is on a lot of peoples minds. Unfortunately the legacy media has done a horrible job telling the public about how Uvalde was negligence on the part of numerous individuals and organizations.

Basic physical security like door locks that actually function, keys that are available to those with authorization, fencing in high risk areas, enforcement of the law against known criminals (shooter publicly advertised his animal abuse which should have netted him 4 years in prison, made countless unlawful threats, etc), and getting proper interdiction with trained and armed teachers per Ed Monk.

I think if the last of the JFK documents are declassified, the FBI may finally be shut down. The FBI and CIA have been fighting tooth and nail to prevent the release of classified documents that likely show Oswald was likely working for the FBI, CIA or both. The JFK shooting was used to justify the GCA 68. Shutting down the The Terror Factory would single best thing we could do to help protect our communities and our rights.

I hope the courts make progress regarding silencers and perhaps SBR's in the coming year. That would be big deal for a lot of law abiding gun owners. Stopping the ATF from going after law abiding gun owners might make them actually focus on the violent felons rampaging through urban areas.

Perhaps some of the Soro's DAs can be relieved of their office they way DeSantis did in Florida?

We also need to get all these new gun owners trained and organized to fight for our 2A rights.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

tomneal wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:22 pm ...So does my favorite local breastaurant.
Hooters?
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Hooters?
Twin Peaks
I meet a buddy for lunch and we "set the world to rights" over adult beverages and food.
See you at the range

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:44 pm Reduce carrying past signs to an infraction without a fine, unless failing to leave after being asked.

Deport Beto.
:iagree: on all counts.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I agree that the Uvalde mass murder should never have happened. As pointed out above, it was known that the violent perpetrator had committed crimes and pretty much nothing was done about that. Couple that with mass incompetence and mass confusion about who was in charge, and it was a recipe tailor made for what happened. The violent perpetrator was ALLOWED to get away with it. That all needs to be addressed in clear and no uncertain terms.

The entire scheme of 30.05/.06/.07 needs to be looked at and refined. It needs to be very explicit about which sign keeps out what, such as a 30.05 cannot keep out someone with an LTC, and it must be unambiguous that if they want "no guns", they should be forced to post ALL three signs, without deviation from what the law states about size and wording and location (which must read ALL public entrances).

Finally, I would like to see action from our legislature about attracting more firearms and ammunition manufacturing to this state. Texas should be the premier place for gun companies to operate.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm out of the game now that my daughter has graduated high school, but grandkids are up and coming. I would like to see those with the LTC allowed to at least conceal carry inside the school for whatever reason. Teacher conference, sporting event, concert, or anything if they've got the license.

Beyond that, anywhere an LEO is allowed to carry an LTC should also is fine with me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:01 pm I'm out of the game now that my daughter has graduated high school, but grandkids are up and coming. I would like to see those with the LTC allowed to at least conceal carry inside the school for whatever reason. Teacher conference, sporting event, concert, or anything if they've got the license.

Beyond that, anywhere an LEO is allowed to carry an LTC should also is fine with me.
:iagree:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Judge issues injunction on NY gun control measure:

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/202 ... l-2-n64105

Are Texas laws restricting carry locations unconstitutional as well?
Maybe the Texas legislature should correct them before the court do.
See you at the range

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:31 pm

The entire scheme of 30.05/.06/.07 needs to be looked at and refined. It needs to be very explicit about which sign keeps out what, such as a 30.05 cannot keep out someone with an LTC, and it must be unambiguous that if they want "no guns", they should be forced to post ALL three signs, without deviation from what the law states about size and wording and location (which must read ALL public entrances).
:iagree: The 30.05 signage especially needs to be clarified to eliminate the perception that a gun-buster sign is sufficient to meet 30.05 sign requirements.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

I posted this on another thread: Something I've noticed over the last few months, 30.05, 30.06, 30.07 signs that are worded correctly but they aren't much bigger than a Am I the only one who's seen these?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:55 pm I posted this on another thread: Something I've noticed over the last few months, 30.05, 30.06, 30.07 signs that are worded correctly but they aren't much bigger than a Am I the only one who's seen these?
I've seen it and I choose not to say a word. :tiphat:

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”