HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
Odinvalknir
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:06 am

HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#1

Post by Odinvalknir » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:11 pm

I hope this is just one of those outlandish bills created knowing that it will be struck down by the Senate, but this gun control nonsense is really getting out of hand. I know that it says semi auto rifles but I'm sure can easily include semi-automatic handguns as well since they all take detachable magazines. I really hate to sound like a crackpot conspiracy theorist but I fear there will come a day either in my lifetime or my kids where we will actually need to use the Second Amendment to stand up against a tyrannical government.




https://news.unclesamsmisguidedchildren ... t-of-1986/

User avatar

Allons
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2059
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#2

Post by Allons » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 pm

This is going nowhere. If it does I will not comply, PERIOD!
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P01, CZ-P07, MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999


Topic author
Odinvalknir
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:06 am

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#3

Post by Odinvalknir » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Allons wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 pm
This is going nowhere. If it does I will not comply, PERIOD!
That's kinda how I feel about it. I don't believe it will make it past the Senate, but stranger things have happened. If crap like this starts going through I guess I'll just have to be living life as an uncharged felon, at least until the BATF comes for me like they have so many others.


longtooth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Angelina County

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#4

Post by longtooth » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 pm

A lot of us old Patriots wont comply.
Image
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#5

Post by K.Mooneyham » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:55 am

So, the BATFE is the agency which would be charged with enforcing this proposed law, like they are the agency charged with enforcing the current NFA laws. A quick search I did shows that there were about three thousand armed agents, as of 2017. Let's say that was doubled, or even tripled. Ten thousand armed agents, sounds like a LOT of agents...until you compare that to the tens of millions of people who own semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Even if those agents didn't do anything else but track down people who hadn't registered their firearms, they would still never complete their task. In fact, a serious attempt at full enforcement would become a suicide mission, as a certain unknown, and likely large, percentage would refuse to comply. The law is simply unenforceable. In fact, the Democrat Congressman who proposed this thing likely knows that not only is it unenforceable, but also that it won't pass. He wants to be able to blame "evil Republicans" in the Senate and/or the POTUS, so he can fundraise for his reelection campaign. It's a garbage law, and all it will do is cause a bunch of people to be upset. It's just political dirt. :mad5


bfm1851
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:47 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#6

Post by bfm1851 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 am

I agree, this bill would have a hard time gaining any support. " tubular device which is only capable of operating with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition." What about all my lever action rifles? .30/30, .45colt and even my 454 casull . Guess they will be the next assault rifles?

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4574
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#7

Post by RPBrown » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:23 am

longtooth wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 pm
A lot of us old Patriots wont comply.
:iagree: :patriot:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Gator Guy
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#8

Post by Gator Guy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 am

Unless somebody doesn't comply with NFA already, I'm skeptical they will start, no matter what other firearms fall under that unconstitutional un-law.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#9

Post by montgomery » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am

Gator Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 am
Unless somebody doesn't comply with NFA already, I'm skeptical they will start, no matter what other firearms fall under that unconstitutional un-law.
:iagree:

Non-compliance is a cowardly act in the absence of performing a patriot act.

User avatar

SQLGeek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#10

Post by SQLGeek » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am

bfm1851 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 am
I agree, this bill would have a hard time gaining any support. " tubular device which is only capable of operating with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition." What about all my lever action rifles? .30/30, .45colt and even my 454 casull . Guess they will be the next assault rifles?
And that's why incrementalism has been so damaging to our rights.
Psalm 91:2


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#11

Post by K.Mooneyham » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am

montgomery wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am
Gator Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 am
Unless somebody doesn't comply with NFA already, I'm skeptical they will start, no matter what other firearms fall under that unconstitutional un-law.
:iagree:

Non-compliance is a cowardly act in the absence of performing a patriot act.
Can someone explain to me what those two statements are supposed to mean in this context? I seriously do not get it.


SonOfTheRevolution
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:31 pm

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#12

Post by SonOfTheRevolution » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 am

Obviously this ain’t gonna get through the entirety of our Congress, and would get vetoed by the executive in the Oval Office, but that’s not to say it couldn’t happen at a later date under a less 2A friendly regime. All the more reason to vote, hold your elected representatives accountable, and support the NRA.
Triggering Liberals Since 1977


longtooth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Angelina County

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#13

Post by longtooth » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:14 pm

SonOfTheRevolution wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 am
Obviously this ain’t gonna get through the entirety of our Congress, and would get vetoed by the executive in the Oval Office, but that’s not to say it couldn’t happen at a later date under a less 2A friendly regime. All the more reason to vote, hold your elected representatives accountable, and support the NRA.
Yes and we also have to raise up a younger generation to wave the :patriot: and vote too.
Image
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11


RicoTX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#14

Post by RicoTX » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:21 pm

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am
montgomery wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am
Gator Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 am
Unless somebody doesn't comply with NFA already, I'm skeptical they will start, no matter what other firearms fall under that unconstitutional un-law.
:iagree:

Non-compliance is a cowardly act in the absence of performing a patriot act.
Can someone explain to me what those two statements are supposed to mean in this context? I seriously do not get it.
I agree with gator guy.
Basically I think gator guy means if you already comply with the rules, chances are you will comply in the future regardless of the rules. In other words, you haven't fought back yet regarding 2a restrictions, why would anyone believe differently in the future?

I think what Montgomery is saying is that most people won't put their money (and freedom/life) where their mouth is... basically.

My interpretation.... apologies to both if I missed the mark.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25527
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: HR 1263 Adds semiauto rifles and shotguns to NFA 1986

#15

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:02 pm

RicoTX wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:21 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am
montgomery wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am
Gator Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 am
Unless somebody doesn't comply with NFA already, I'm skeptical they will start, no matter what other firearms fall under that unconstitutional un-law.
:iagree:

Non-compliance is a cowardly act in the absence of performing a patriot act.
Can someone explain to me what those two statements are supposed to mean in this context? I seriously do not get it.
I agree with gator guy.
Basically I think gator guy means if you already comply with the rules, chances are you will comply in the future regardless of the rules. In other words, you haven't fought back yet regarding 2a restrictions, why would anyone believe differently in the future?

I think what Montgomery is saying is that most people won't put their money (and freedom/life) where their mouth is... basically.

My interpretation.... apologies to both if I missed the mark.
Some will continue to comply. Some won't. I don't think you can make a realistic blanket statement about what all will do or not do, until such time as the event happens. To date, I have been compliant with the NFA, as regards those NFA items I already own. I complied, because NFA was already the state of the law at the time that I acquired/built NFA controlled items, and I generally want to be a law-abiding person.

Similarly, I got myself a CHL/LTC when I moved to Texas, because that was the state of existing law in Texas, and I wanted to be able to lawfully carry a firearm. But when I still lived in California, I occasionally carried a handgun unlawfully, occasionally on my person, occasionally in my vehicle. I did not carry one by default, only doing it when I felt as though carrying one was the only reasonable thing to do. For instance, I carried one while the Rodney King riots were ongoing, and I worked in downtown Los Angeles. For all practical purposes, you can't get a carry license in Los Angeles county, where I lived. There was no remediable way for me to obtain the license so I could carry lawfully. Therefore, I carried unlawfully whenever I felt it to be the prudent, reasonable thing to do.

BUT.... I did not sign up for further restrictions on those rights. I'm not happy with the current state of the law, but I also see no profit in going to prison as long as there is a fairly easy way to get/do what I need to get/do, within the confines of existing law. But if HR 1263 becomes the law of the land, that changes everything.

If it passes, I will simply not comply with it. There are ways to resist. I already have two NFA-registered AR lowers on my trust, and some suppressors. I think it's a given that if HR 1263 passes, ATF will show up some day to demand that those items to be surrendered. Those two lowers are FAR from the only ones we have. I am NOT going to register, turn in, or destroy anything else that is not currently registered, and I am NOT going to get rid of them. And now, I know how to manufacture suppressor replacements if necessary. Hell, there's no 4473 on file with MY name on it for a number of the firearms I lawfully purchased. Where there IS such a 4473 on file with my name on it, I sold that gun to a guy named Joe I met at a farmer's market two years ago. There are a lot of options that would "keep me in business" until it is strategically time to dig them up and put them to use for tactical purposes.

Here's a thought for the hotheads.... is it better to throw your life away with little meaningful result, or is it better to fight a delaying action and live until you are able to strike back with good effect? I'm not a young man. I've had a good life. If I have to die in defense of liberty, I'd view that as a better death than dying of a wasting disease at an older age. But if I am to die in defense of liberty, I want my death to have meaning. My death is meaningless if I am quietly killed in the middle of the night by federal agents who tell all my neighbors that I was a terrorist plotting an attack to blow up the Alamo on Texas Independence Day. My neighbors will say, "wow, and he was such a quiet guy. He was the perfect neighbor. Who knew?"

No. I'd want my death to mean more than that. I'd want my neighbors to be inspired by the sacrifice to begin resisting gov't themselves. I'd want my sacrifice to result in extensive damage to the gov't's ability to prosecute such a campaign against other American gun owners. That means playing it smart - EVEN IF the hotheads aren't satisfied because I didn't handle it they way they think I should have.

My stuff. My life. I'll decide how to manage it.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

Post Reply

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”