Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#1

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:51 am

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gun-sile ... 20119.html
Gun silencers like the one used in a recent lethal shooting in Virginia Beach would be banned under legislation that U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey introduced Friday.

The Democrat unveiled the legislation at news conference in Trenton alongside Democratic Trenton Mayor Reed Gusciora and representatives from the gun-control group Moms Demand Action.

"I'm not saying that any single piece of legislation can stop every single tragedy, but there's no question that gun safety laws can save lives," Menendez said.
We need an eye roll emoji, but for now this will do: :banghead:

Get ready to email and call your reps.

https://americansuppressorassociation.c ... ppressors/
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6490
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#2

Post by Pawpaw » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:12 am

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:51 am
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gun-sile ... 20119.html
Gun silencers like the one used in a recent lethal shooting in Virginia Beach would be banned under legislation that U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey introduced Friday.

The Democrat unveiled the legislation at news conference in Trenton alongside Democratic Trenton Mayor Reed Gusciora and representatives from the gun-control group Moms Demand Action.

"I'm not saying that any single piece of legislation can stop every single tragedy, but there's no question that gun safety laws can save lives," Menendez said.
We need an eye roll emoji, but for now this will do: :banghead:

Get ready to email and call your reps.

https://americansuppressorassociation.c ... ppressors/
We have one. :roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#3

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:21 am

Pawpaw wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:12 am

We have one. :roll:
Coffee hadn’t kicked in yet... :leaving
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25124
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#4

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 am

Other than voting intelligently, the only thing you can do to fight this is to challenge the antis with facts. I’ve shut people up on twitter by discussing decibel levels with hard data, demonstrating why the gun community calls them "suppressors" rather than "silencers". It’s also helpful to point out that, in many of the European countries which the antis like to hold up as having ideal gun laws, suppressors are sold over the counter with minimal regulation for a tenth of the cost we pay here, and they are regarded as just plain good manners.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#5

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:33 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 am
It’s also helpful to point out that, in many of the European countries which the antis like to hold up as having ideal gun laws, suppressors are sold over the counter with minimal regulation for a tenth of the cost we pay here, and they are regarded as just plain good manners.
But how much restriction is on the guns they fit on? Can most people even buy a hand gun in many eurozone countries?

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10508
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#6

Post by AndyC » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:06 pm

Well, that's part of the point - even in countries where the laws are so restrictive that one can't buy so much as a handgun, one can buy still a suppressor over the counter.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#7

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:26 pm

My point was that a suppressor with no gun to put it on is worthless. There is no reason to restrict them since they are basically just a paper weight. I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25124
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm

My point was as Andy stated. It’s true that, without a gun, a suppressor is useless; but I’m not counting on an anti to make that connection because they "know darn well" that European gov’ts thought guns were dangerous and seriously restricted them, and they’d do the same if they thought suppressors were dangerous. They obviously don’t think they’re dangerous, and they understand good manners.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#9

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:10 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm
My point was as Andy stated. It’s true that, without a gun, a suppressor is useless; but I’m not counting on an anti to make that connection because they "know darn well" that European gov’ts thought guns were dangerous and seriously restricted them, and they’d do the same if they thought suppressors were dangerous. They obviously don’t think they’re dangerous, and they understand good manners.
After yours and Andy's post I decided to do some googling. I was amazed that in Europe a suppressor is actually considered polite. For those that do have firearms for hunting and such, a suppressor is a recommended accessory.

I understand your point better now.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25124
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#10

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:17 pm

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:10 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm
My point was as Andy stated. It’s true that, without a gun, a suppressor is useless; but I’m not counting on an anti to make that connection because they "know darn well" that European gov’ts thought guns were dangerous and seriously restricted them, and they’d do the same if they thought suppressors were dangerous. They obviously don’t think they’re dangerous, and they understand good manners.
After yours and Andy's post I decided to do some googling. I was amazed that in Europe a suppressor is actually considered polite. For those that do have firearms for hunting and such, a suppressor is a recommended accessory.

I understand your point better now.
:thumbs2:

i would definitely recommend one for hunting. Outside the confines of a shooting range, even an outdoor shooting range, for a shooter who is behind the rifle, you can get away without ear pro for a limited number of shots. In this video, I'm shooting my SCAR 17S (which is a notoriously LOUD rifle) with a form 1 can on it, and I'm not wearing any ear pro. Now, IRL, it was louder than in this video, but not by much:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#11

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Wow! That does make a difference.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25124
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#12

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:04 pm
Wow! That does make a difference.
Exactly! With the hearing loss I've suffered over the years from decades of playing amplified guitars on stage, and decades of shooting guns, I'm very protective of my hearing now. Suppressors make a HUGE difference in the enjoyment of the sport....and not just for me, but for the people on either side of me at the range.

I keep 3 firearms in a ready state for home defense. One is a shotgun, for "crowd" work. One is a SBR AR15 for "perimeter defense". But my primary home defense weapon is a Glock 17, loaded with 147 grain subsonics, and sporting a suppressor. That pistol/ammo/suppressor combination is about as close to hearing safe as you can get, and if I have to discharge a firearm inside the house, that's the setup I want. The SBR is suppressed too, by the way. It would still be too loud for comfort inside the house, loaded with standard supersonic ammo; but outdoors it's no more uncomfortably loud than that SCAR 17S in the video I posted, as long as you're standing behind the gun.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#13

Post by joe817 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 am

Wow! That sounds more like a nail gun like roofers use, than a rifle report! :shock:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

User avatar

snorri
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

#14

Post by snorri » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:07 pm

joe817 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 am
Wow! That sounds more like a nail gun like roofers use, than a rifle report! :shock:
That's what they said about the Virginia Beach killings last month.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Post Reply

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”