Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#16

Post by Rob72 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am

uthornsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm
I think it is refreshing that someone is actually standing up for what they believe in. Even if it isn't popular or fiscally responsible why are people so butt hurt here about it?

If more people thought less about money and more about their convictions we would probably be better off.

Our beliefs here aren't more important than anyone else's whether they are the same or different than our own.
Do you believe that human beings have rights, including the right to be free from oppression? If so, this argument is a non-sequiter, based in moral relativism. The issue for those that believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, is that Dicks (among others) is perfectly happy to sacrifice profit to their idea that the common citizens have the "right" to some toys and pretty-shineys, as long as they stay within Humanistically prescribed standards. My experience with human beings does not allow me to believe that our inherent nature is, "good," or capable of elevating our condition in any transcendental way.


hondo44
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#17

Post by hondo44 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am

Rob72 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am
uthornsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm
I think it is refreshing that someone is actually standing up for what they believe in. Even if it isn't popular or fiscally responsible why are people so butt hurt here about it?

If more people thought less about money and more about their convictions we would probably be better off.

Our beliefs here aren't more important than anyone else's whether they are the same or different than our own.
Do you believe that human beings have rights, including the right to be free from oppression? If so, this argument is a non-sequiter, based in moral relativism. The issue for those that believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, is that Dicks (among others) is perfectly happy to sacrifice profit to their idea that the common citizens have the "right" to some toys and pretty-shineys, as long as they stay within Humanistically prescribed standards. My experience with human beings does not allow me to believe that our inherent nature is, "good," or capable of elevating our condition in any transcendental way.
The only non sequitur here is the assumption that Dicks or any corporations have a belief system. Dicks is a corporation. Corporations don't "believe" anything. The only responsibility corporations have is to maximize value for their shareholders.
Chinese SKS, Yugo SKS, Romanian AK-74, Mossberg 500, Hi-Point 9mm carbine, Colt 2000 IWB

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25120
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#18

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:55 am

hondo44 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am
Rob72 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am
uthornsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm
I think it is refreshing that someone is actually standing up for what they believe in. Even if it isn't popular or fiscally responsible why are people so butt hurt here about it?

If more people thought less about money and more about their convictions we would probably be better off.

Our beliefs here aren't more important than anyone else's whether they are the same or different than our own.
Do you believe that human beings have rights, including the right to be free from oppression? If so, this argument is a non-sequiter, based in moral relativism. The issue for those that believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, is that Dicks (among others) is perfectly happy to sacrifice profit to their idea that the common citizens have the "right" to some toys and pretty-shineys, as long as they stay within Humanistically prescribed standards. My experience with human beings does not allow me to believe that our inherent nature is, "good," or capable of elevating our condition in any transcendental way.
The only non sequitur here is the assumption that Dicks or any corporations have a belief system. Dicks is a corporation. Corporations don't "believe" anything. The only responsibility corporations have is to maximize value for their shareholders.
As the NBA is discovering if some random coach offends some people in communist China by expressing support for democracy in Hong Kong..... only in this case it’s the 1st Amendment that is being sacrificed to the gods of profit.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#19

Post by Rob72 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am

hondo44 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am
Rob72 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am
uthornsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm
I think it is refreshing that someone is actually standing up for what they believe in. Even if it isn't popular or fiscally responsible why are people so butt hurt here about it?

If more people thought less about money and more about their convictions we would probably be better off.

Our beliefs here aren't more important than anyone else's whether they are the same or different than our own.
Do you believe that human beings have rights, including the right to be free from oppression? If so, this argument is a non-sequiter, based in moral relativism. The issue for those that believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, is that Dicks (among others) is perfectly happy to sacrifice profit to their idea that the common citizens have the "right" to some toys and pretty-shineys, as long as they stay within Humanistically prescribed standards. My experience with human beings does not allow me to believe that our inherent nature is, "good," or capable of elevating our condition in any transcendental way.
The only non sequitur here is the assumption that Dicks or any corporations have a belief system. Dicks is a corporation. Corporations don't "believe" anything. The only responsibility corporations have is to maximize value for their shareholders.
Human institutions are the embodiment of human values and intentions, e.g., "beliefs". A cooperative effort cannot exist in the absence of a shared core belief(s). This is true whether it is a government or a corporation.

In this instance, Dick's is not solely in pursuit of profit engaging activities, but in pursuit of an ideal.


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#20

Post by LDP » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:11 pm

RPBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am
I agree. But I also had a thought. If they were really concerned about any financial setbacks, why wouldn't they donate these guns to a law enforcement agency? Seems to me that would be less controversial than destrying them and could be used as a tax write off. Just another knee jerk reaction on their part.
Why not donate to LE or a better cause? Because that would be too logical.
I do often give leftists the benefit of the doubt. And in this case I truly doubt their little pea brains are capable of thinking logically on such level once their feelings kick in.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#21

Post by Lynyrd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Dicks Sporting Goods? Never heard of them.

:biggrinjester:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#22

Post by Flightmare » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:25 pm

LDP wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:11 pm
RPBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am
I agree. But I also had a thought. If they were really concerned about any financial setbacks, why wouldn't they donate these guns to a law enforcement agency? Seems to me that would be less controversial than destrying them and could be used as a tax write off. Just another knee jerk reaction on their part.
Why not donate to LE or a better cause? Because that would be too logical.
I do often give leftists the benefit of the doubt. And in this case I truly doubt their little pea brains are capable of thinking logically on such level once their feelings kick in.
Ahhh, but then they would catch heat when one of those fully semi-auto assault weapons is used on a sweet kid like Michael Brown.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4950
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#23

Post by flintknapper » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:36 pm

RPBrown wrote:
But I also had a thought. If they were really concerned about any financial setbacks, why wouldn't they donate these guns to a law enforcement agency? Seems to me that would be less controversial than destroying them and could be used as a tax write off. Just another knee jerk reaction on their part.
Well sure....but that would be exercising logic. It would benefit both Law Enforcement and the company (Dicks). But that wasn't ever a consideration...because it wouldn't make a 'statement' (these guns are inherently evil) and appease the 'base' who think similarly.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6158
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#24

Post by puma guy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Until I see the inventory list with S/N and some documentation that removes these weapons from the data base for tracking them with ATF I don't believe a word of what Dick's says they did with them.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 11052
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#25

Post by Oldgringo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 pm

I don't remember the last time, or where, I visited a DICK'S store but I do know when I'll visit another.


longtooth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12056
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Angelina County

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#26

Post by longtooth » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 am

puma guy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:47 pm
Until I see the inventory list with S/N and some documentation that removes these weapons from the data base for tracking them with ATF I don't believe a word of what Dick's says they did with them.
Exactly. One sentence summary or whether or not Dick's really did destroy them.
Image
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#27

Post by Paladin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:15 am

Oldgringo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 pm
I don't remember the last time, or where, I visited a DICK'S store but I do know when I'll visit another.
LOL, thinking the same. They're WAY overpriced anyway.
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6158
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#28

Post by puma guy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:32 pm

longtooth wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 am
puma guy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:47 pm
Until I see the inventory list with S/N and some documentation that removes these weapons from the data base for tracking them with ATF I don't believe a word of what Dick's says they did with them.
Exactly. One sentence summary or whether or not Dick's really did destroy them.
I hope they try to take it as a business loss and someone calls the IRS is they do.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6158
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#29

Post by puma guy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Docks ended sales of "assault weapons" at their Dick's Sporting Goods stores some 20 months ago only selling them at their Field and Stream locations. Doing some math and using an average of $650 each for the price of the "assault weapons" (I never saw any high end AR's there) that would be 7692 rifles for a total $5 million. It would mean each of the 34 F&S stores had 226 rifles available. I find that extremely difficult to believe.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25120
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

#30

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 pm
I don't remember the last time, or where, I visited a DICK'S store but I do know when I'll visit another.
Would that be when temperatures in Hades fall to record lows? :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

Post Reply

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”