Government Code 411.209

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Government Code 411.209

Post by NotRPB »

I'm sure it's already in process, I just needed to vent after hearing a person ignorant of the LTC laws who got licensed long ago but didn't keep current, make incorrect statements today. I bought him the latest LTC16 book he hasn't had time to read yet)

Issue:
Clarification needed during this session on Government Code 411.209
Twice I've observed people that were giving Oral notice that concealed carry is not allowed on a County and a City Owned property which is NOT listed under 46.03 nor 46.035

The current 411.209 applies to 30.06 SIGNS.

I know it's be impossible to prove without a voice recorder going, but In my County I keep hearing "We Decided that place is off limits for carrying and I'm friends with the Sheriff so I'll have him arrest anyone carrying.

https://www.tml.org/legis_updates/attor ... stigations
As written, the bill applies only to a concealed handgun sign under Texas Penal Code Section 30.06. However, an attorney general opinion issued late last year seems to incorrectly expand the attorney general’s authority under the law to include any sign, including signs pertaining to carry prohibitions that automatically apply (e.g., on the premises of courts or polling places). The opinion also erroneously expands the attorney general’s authority to investigate oral notice that carry is prohibited.
A state agency or a political subdivision of the state may not provide notice by a communication described by Section 30.06, Penal Code, or by any sign expressly referring to that law or to a concealed handgun license, that a license holder carrying a handgun under the authority of this subchapter is prohibited from entering or remaining on a premises or other place owned or leased by the governmental entity unless license holders are prohibited from carrying a handgun on the premises or other places by Section 46.03 or 46.035, Penal Code.

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”