Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Dennis Bonnen Elected Speaker of the Texas House

Post by Papa_Tiger »

http://gatehousenews.com/legislative-pr ... tesman.com

147-0 vote.

We'll see if he is Strauss 2.0 or if he tends to be more conservative in his views.

jason812

Re: Dennis Bonnen Elected Speaker of the Texas House

Post by jason812 »

147-0? Sounds like a Cuban, Venezuela, or Russian election. Are the officials afraid of not voting for the winner and face repercussions like when Strauss was around?

I guess sometime this spring we'll see if this was good or not. Color me skeptical as I find it hard to believe that many people agree on the same thing. Especially given the current state of politics.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

I really don't know anything about Bonnen. Time will tell.

If there's cause for optimism, it might be this (posted on his website in 2013 and still there: http://www.dennisbonnen.com/index.php/i ... rom-austin):
...Be assured that I have always fought for your 2nd Amendment rights. I am a card-carrying member of both the N.R.A. and the Texas State Rifle Association, and I earned an A+ rating from both of these admirable groups.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:23 pm I really don't know anything about Bonnen. Time will tell.

If there's cause for optimism, it might be this (posted on his website in 2013 and still there: http://www.dennisbonnen.com/index.php/i ... rom-austin):
...Be assured that I have always fought for your 2nd Amendment rights. I am a card-carrying member of both the N.R.A. and the Texas State Rifle Association, and I earned an A+ rating from both of these admirable groups.
It’s hard to imagine that he could be any more frustrating than Strauss was.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

The Progressives don't seem to hesitate for a moment when they gain the upper hand in a State or City. Both here in Texas and Nationally, I've seen the GOP fail to deliver. Twice that I recall GOP Presidents with the House and Senate did little to nothing... The Texas Legislature hasn't been a great deal better and the tolerance of Strauss is an example. The GOP is very much in danger of seeing its longtime and dependable supporters walk away because of their lack of accomplishment.

The property tax situation in Texas is a perfect example. Our taxes have become burdensome. I could pay my house off and still have a substantial nut due each month or quarter. To the point where I've seriously started listening to my wife who has suggested moving to SW Georgie or NE Fl where her people are. BIL is a GA County Sheriff... I was thinking about it, but got a scare that was about as bad as the one Irish Bob (HT to TAM I believe) when in BOTH GA and FL hard left candidates dang near took the Governors Offices. The people back east were really surprised at what were getting hit with, and you know that the odds of these taxes going down are pretty low...

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 pm
Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:23 pm I really don't know anything about Bonnen. Time will tell.

It’s hard to imagine that he could be any more frustrating than Strauss was.
Amen to that.

Didn't the legislature stream its goings on over the interwebs one or two sessions ago? Does anybody know if they'll do that again? Guess I should do some Googling myself before I ask. I'm in a position this year that I can screencast a video stream to the TV while I keep working. Considering that maybe 5% of what goes on will interest me, watching it as background is about the only way I could do it.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Didn't the legislature stream its goings on over the interwebs one or two sessions ago? Does anybody know if they'll do that again?
Well, duh. Took all of two minutes to find it. The House here https://house.texas.gov/video-audio/, and the Senate here https://senate.texas.gov/av-live.php. Looks like the House will at least try to post a weekly schedule https://house.texas.gov/video-audio/broadcast-schedule/ but it looks like we may have to check the Senate's general website to get a better idea of the schedule https://capitol.texas.gov/MnuSenate.aspx.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

jason812 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 pm 147-0? Sounds like a Cuban, Venezuela, or Russian election. Are the officials afraid of not voting for the winner and face repercussions like when Strauss was around?

I guess sometime this spring we'll see if this was good or not. Color me skeptical as I find it hard to believe that many people agree on the same thing. Especially given the current state of politics.
I have read in the past that the actual voting/decision making is done in private or closed session, and this where the real opposition happens. Once the horse-trading is over with and a Speaker is chosen, then they do an official vote in public and everyone votes for the already-chosen Speaker publicly. This puts everyone on the same side (publicly), gives a patina of goodwill and cooperation to start the session. It would take a lot of nerve to publicly vote no, because it would certainly paint a huge target on your back.
USAF 1982-2005

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

ELB wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:07 am
jason812 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 pm 147-0? Sounds like a Cuban, Venezuela, or Russian election. Are the officials afraid of not voting for the winner and face repercussions like when Strauss was around?

I have read in the past that the actual voting/decision making is done in private or closed session, and this where the real opposition happens. Once the horse-trading is over with and a Speaker is chosen, then they do an official vote in public and everyone votes for the already-chosen Speaker publicly. This puts everyone on the same side (publicly), gives a patina of goodwill and cooperation to start the session. It would take a lot of nerve to publicly vote no, because it would certainly paint a huge target on your back.
That is certainly what happened during Straus' tenure. People who opposed him publicly were known to receive poor committee assignments and had trouble advancing their legislation due to Straus allies slow rolling things. The unwritten rule was that you had to "play nice" to get anything done.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

This is my personal opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bonnen is from the 25th district in Brazoria county. This district is very much a libertarian leaning conservative district. Becoming Strauss 2.0 would quickly lead to legitimate primary challenges. I'll be watching as closely as I can, but am optimistic about Bonnen taking the Speaker's gavel.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Flightmare wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 am
ELB wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:07 am

That is certainly what happened during Straus' tenure. People who opposed him publicly were known to receive poor committee assignments and had trouble advancing their legislation due to Straus allies slow rolling things. The unwritten rule was that you had to "play nice" to get anything done.
This is not unique to Straus's tenure. This is pretty much how it works in any legislative body. If Ted Nugent was elected Speaker of the House (wouldn't that be wild!) I'd expect him to fast track 2A legislation and squelch all those F-rated members.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”