Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:06 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:01 pm My sense is that Bonnen will lose his NRA “A” grade in one fell swoop after this session. What a catastrophe his speakership has turned out to be.
We'll see. Not sure how they take into account such as this since they use recorded votes and published positions on gun issues. I understand them trying to keep their ratings as subjective as possible but as long as reps can hide behind not voting and killing bills in committee with them getting a vote, I do not know how they will change the system to consider such.

Hopefully, they'll figure something out.
I’m hoping that Charles will bring this subject up to the board of directors. It’s not enough to vote for legislation - especially losing legislation - if you hide behind what you do in committee. But with more power, comes more responsibility, AND more accountability. If a “pro-gun” legislator is elected to Speaker, and then puts ANTI-gun legislators in the chairmanships of those committees which will have the anti-gun power to kill pro-gun rights legislation.

ImageWHATImageWASImageHEImageTHINKING?!?!?!?!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:01 pm My sense is that Bonnen will lose his NRA “A” grade in one fell swoop after this session. What a catastrophe his speakership has turned out to be.
Did I miss something today?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We'll see. Not sure how they take into account such as this since they use recorded votes and published positions on gun issues. I understand them trying to keep their ratings as objective as possible but as long as reps can hide behind not voting and killing bills in committee with them getting a vote, I do not know how they will change the system to consider such.

We can and do consider any action taken that impacts the Second Amendment.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm
We'll see. Not sure how they take into account such as this since they use recorded votes and published positions on gun issues. I understand them trying to keep their ratings as objective as possible but as long as reps can hide behind not voting and killing bills in committee with them getting a vote, I do not know how they will change the system to consider such.

Chas.
Good to hear. Hopefully some of the legislator's ratings will be adjusted accordingly.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Jason Todd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:18 pm
I hope you're right but Straus did the same thing and didn't get downgraded.
Straus was no friend of gun owners, but he didn't do anything that approaches what Bonnen has done. He kept permitless-carry bottled up, and he didn't push my pet project of removing off-limits areas. But we passed a lot of pro-gun bills with him as Speaker, some only because Straus made sure they passed in the House. We also had good Chairmen, so we didn't have to fight multiple dozens of anti-gun bills like we are doing now, thanks to Bonnen. (We are tracking on the order of 140 bills, most of which are bad.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Chas.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles,
I am not trying to be confrontational or knock/bash you or the NRA. Again, I will remind you and others, we are on the same side of when it comes to gun issues. I am just confused as I seem to be getting conflicting info regarding how the NRA develops it's ratings. See the thread at these links. www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... s#p1173537
www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... s&start=30
Re: Straus not running for a new term.
#23 Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 pm
Captain Matt wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I would assume the NRA ratings are based on actual votes or legislation sponsored, not just surveys.
Maybe so but (1) they don't seem to be based on results and (2) gun rights bills do get killed behind the scenes and I can't recall anybody getting downgraded for it. Either way the lack of transparency in grading results in a lack of usefulness for myself and others. Which is fine if that's what they're shooting for.
As ScottDLS noted, grades are based on votes, not questionnaires unless the person is a freshman with no voting record. You act as though we don't pass pro-gun bills and that complete garbage. Gun bills die in the House based upon the Speaker and in the Senate based upon the Lt. Governor. Yet you want to blast all Republicans you call RINOs and the NRA for its rating system. You clearly don't know how the Legislature works.

Chas.

Chas.
Here is a quote of me when I said I think the NRA should take more into consideration than just votes.
#33 Post by mojo84 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:30 am
My point is that I am not sure the TSRA or NRA takes enough into consideration when they assign their ratings. I think one has to look beyond just voting record when it comes to the speaker of the house.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

E10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E10 »

After reading as much of this thread as I can stand, what frustrates me most is the absolute, profane childishness of our representatives and senators. How do they get anything done?! Davy Crockett should come back with a cat 'o nine tails and run 'em all outa the Capitol. I know he'd tell 'em all where to go, but then where would he go?

Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ruark »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:00 pmWe also had good Chairmen, so we didn't have to fight multiple dozens of anti-gun bills like we are doing now, thanks to Bonnen. (We are tracking on the order of 140 bills, most of which are bad.

Chas.
Are there ANY pro-gun bills that look like they're headed towards passage this session?
-Ruark

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Ruark wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:00 pmWe also had good Chairmen, so we didn't have to fight multiple dozens of anti-gun bills like we are doing now, thanks to Bonnen. (We are tracking on the order of 140 bills, most of which are bad.

Chas.
Are there ANY pro-gun bills that look like they're headed towards passage this session?
I am no expert but it appears to me the large majority of "weapons" related bills are languishing in committee.

There are a few that have been referred to the Calendars committee.

Hopefully this link will take you to the weapons related bills that have been filed.
http://capitol.texas.gov/Reports/Report ... code=I0887

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

Most of these above all look like they will die in committee
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TreyHouston wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 pm Most of these above all look like they will die in committee
Echo? :headscratch

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

I called Bonnens office also. Was asked if I had worked with the bills author to get it out. what the heck can he do to get it out of committee? Told the lady no but bonnen could pressure pancho to pass it out. He has control over it. Gonna call again tomorrow and reiterate the same thing.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Ruark wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Chas.
We will get very little this session. I predict it will be the most unproductive session in many years.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 pm Charles,
I am not trying to be confrontational or knock/bash you or the NRA. Again, I will remind you and others, we are on the same side of when it comes to gun issues. I am just confused as I seem to be getting conflicting info regarding how the NRA develops it's ratings. See the thread at these links. www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... s#p1173537
www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... s&start=30
#23 Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 pm
Captain Matt wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I would assume the NRA ratings are based on actual votes or legislation sponsored, not just surveys.
Maybe so but (1) they don't seem to be based on results and (2) gun rights bills do get killed behind the scenes and I can't recall anybody getting downgraded for it. Either way the lack of transparency in grading results in a lack of usefulness for myself and others. Which is fine if that's what they're shooting for.
As ScottDLS noted, grades are based on votes, not questionnaires unless the person is a freshman with no voting record. You act as though we don't pass pro-gun bills and that complete garbage. Gun bills die in the House based upon the Speaker and in the Senate based upon the Lt. Governor. Yet you want to blast all Republicans you call RINOs and the NRA for its rating system. You clearly don't know how the Legislature works.

Chas.

Chas.
Here is a quote of me when I said I think the NRA should take more into consideration than just votes.
#33 Post by mojo84 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:30 am
My point is that I am not sure the TSRA or NRA takes enough into consideration when they assign their ratings. I think one has to look beyond just voting record when it comes to the speaker of the house.
First, you need to block the quotes properly so it doesn't appear that I wrote statements that were made by other members.

Secondly, the posts you quoted are not inconsistent with what I posted in this thread. Here, you stated that NRA/TSRA only grades based upon votes. The two year old post you quoted dealt with votes v. questionnaire responses. For the first time in decades, a Republican Speaker appointed one F-rated Democrat and one D-rated Democrat to chair the two most important committees for gun-owners. Bonnen earned his A-rating with his votes. Once in power as Speaker, he betrayed Texas gun-owners. Unlike most representatives, we have more upon which to rate Bonnen down.

Straus-haters and the all-or-nothing crowd want to equate him with Bonnen's actions and they are not equivalent by any stretch of the imagination.

Chas.

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”