This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

HB 1445 - Intoxicated Carry

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1445

Class A misdemeanor for carrying in public while intoxicated. Does not apply to Special Investigators or peace officers.

RPBrown

Re: HB 1445 - Intoxicated Carry

Post by RPBrown »

I have 2 problems with this (okay, probably more but these were the 1st 2 that came to mind)
(1) Its already against the law--
PC46.035 (d) (d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license
holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in
a shoulder or belt holster.

And (2) Why would it be okay for a peace officer or special investigator to carry while intoxicated????

Do these people (and I use the term loosely) have nothing better to do than to make up stupid laws that are already written so it looks as if they are earning their money? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

ELB

Post by ELB »

and...

(3) Is this really a problem? The conviction stats for calendar year 2018 are out, and there was exactly one (1) license holder convicted of an unlawful carry offense for ANY reason. One. Out of over One Million LTC holders.
USAF 1982-2005

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

ELB wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 am and...

(3) Is this really a problem? The conviction stats for calendar year 2018 are out, and there was exactly one (1) license holder convicted of an unlawful carry offense for ANY reason. One. Out of over One Million LTC holders.
There were 3 convictions for the general category of 'UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPON' and my favorite, yet again, 1 license holder was convicted for 'PROH WEAPON KNUCKLES'.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Before freshmen elected officials, especially Democrats, are allowed to author and submit bills, they should be required to research whether an existing law already covers their bill. :banghead:
Rep. Rosenthal should stick to things he knows....
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This bill would apply to everyone, not just LTCs. I have a big problem with it being anything other than a Class C, unless someone is injured, or the drunk is waving it around. I also have a problem with exempting anyone; apply it to everyone or no one.

Chas.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 pm This bill would apply to everyone, not just LTCs. I have a big problem with it being anything other than a Class C, unless someone is injured, or the drunk is waving it around. I also have a problem with exempting anyone; apply it to everyone or no one.

Chas.
:iagree:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 pm This bill would apply to everyone, not just LTCs. I have a big problem with it being anything other than a Class C, unless someone is injured, or the drunk is waving it around. I also have a problem with exempting anyone; apply it to everyone or no one.

Chas.
Agreed... we already have laws for all of this. Drunk in public is already a crime, with or without a firearm. Waving a gun around is already covered under Disorderly Conduct, intoxicated or otherwise. These are both Class C Misdemeanors.

Unless this glittering jewel of colossal ignorance can show me a plethora of cases where drunks were OCing long guns in public and that this law is sorely needed to stem that tide, then not just no but heck no.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

:iagree: What Charles said. Class C and apply to ALL.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Chas.
:iagree:

That San Antonio cop driving drunk, road raging, and shooting at people should have been charged. Not allowed to keep his job.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Drunk cops never hurt people! Pass this right away!

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”