had to christin the storm shelter friday

This forum is for Members with at least 150 posts. Such Members can post one item per month and all other Market Section rules apply.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 4

had to christin the storm shelter friday

Post by powerboatr »

We had it put in the ground in may

but this evening i was checking weather in weather underground and all the weather stations around us and all the sudden BOOM all the phones went crazy , computer screen went flashy
tornado is imminent ,
weather stations on weather underground gave us about 12 minute track to be over head
this was about 6 pm, doppler had it at around 17k feet.
grabbed the dog, grabbed phones and wife and off we went
while in there it went over us, but had to be still way up there because we only got 46mph sustained winds and .49 yes .49 inches of rain in less than 20 minutes
so glad we had ample warning.

never thought we would need it
sure hope everyone else in the path of the storm friday got through unscathed
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: had to christin the storm shelter friday

Post by cirus »

I'm also in NE Texas. Where are you from ?

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

One of the reasons that MY new builds all have a reinforced pantry or master closet. With less warning you may be leaving a semi-safe area and going outside to wind and hail trying to get to a tornado proof area.

I wish more builders would take the minimal time and effort to reinforce one interior room.

Hurricane straps on (4) walls @ 16" O.C. +/-$352, (18) extra studs for corners and studs at 8" O.C. $65.00, (2) layers 23/32nds plywood on a 4x8 room (including ceiling) $980, 3" #10 construction screws 12" O.C. all studs and ceiling +/-$52. A new build can have a (almost) Fema 300 wood construction interior shelter (minus a true Fema 300 door) for about $1,450.

Compared to a $4,000 or more twister pod, and knowing there is a relatively safe place to hide from up to a F3/F4, it just makes sense to do it...

Details on the wood framed option can be viewed here (see pdf page 83): https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/file ... _p-320.pdf

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

We have one of the pre-cast in-ground shelters. We haven't bailed out into it yet, but we have been prepared to do so several times.
We're planning a new build within the next several years, and it will have a concrete-reinforced saferoom. Way easier to get the pets into, and more comfy to hole up in.
Glad everything went well for you!

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we are in quitman, about 2k yards from lake fork

we went with the pre cast concrete unit last may, after the few close calls in the previous years. iirc its 6x8 and 7 feet head height inside , sits about 4 fee into the earth .

our house is all steel and anchored well, but its only rated to 100 mph. plus i have one very large 12x13 foot door that is reinforced, but i do not want to test how it does at over 60mph .

Hindsight, i would have had them put a concrete bunker in the main slab when it was built to have an easier access place, running across the yard 25 yards could be an adventure if its pouring and windy.

i wanted to place the pre cast right up next to the house, but access with large equipment presented a non option for that , so we got as close as we could.

i agree, hurricane anchors and building to with stand f3 should be required,
it seems the last few years we are having more and more close calls with the weird weather. Used to the storm hit the lake and would go north or south and fall apart before we got it. now days to seems they get a free pass and just clip across like its nothing
we were really happy , blessed , etc that we had near 10 minutes notice
i reviewed our house security cameras real good yesterday and am pretty sure it went over us, but at an altitude of 800 feet or more and was just dropping rain in sheets, with small hail and lots of very intense lighting,
my weather station recorded over 200 lighting strikes within a mile of us . thats HUGE imo
pressure dropped to 29.21 from 29.81 so we had some good low pressure as it went over or near us.

my pecan tree is missing the pecans that were about ready to fall :nono:
i need to put some sort of cell ant or something in the shelter so we can reach out to the world
i was able to get texts if held the phone up into the vents.
my parents live next door and they got stuck at home and i was not running out in it to go get them.
they hid in the main closet, but there house is a mobile home.
so we have some adjustments to escape plans to go through. going to try to get them a shelter soon.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:50 am One of the reasons that MY new builds all have a reinforced pantry or master closet. With less warning you may be leaving a semi-safe area and going outside to wind and hail trying to get to a tornado proof area.

I wish more builders would take the minimal time and effort to reinforce one interior room.

Hurricane straps on (4) walls @ 16" O.C. +/-$352, (18) extra studs for corners and studs at 8" O.C. $65.00, (2) layers 23/32nds plywood on a 4x8 room (including ceiling) $980, 3" #10 construction screws 12" O.C. all studs and ceiling +/-$52. A new build can have a (almost) Fema 300 wood construction interior shelter (minus a true Fema 300 door) for about $1,450.

Compared to a $4,000 or more twister pod, and knowing there is a relatively safe place to hide from up to a F3/F4, it just makes sense to do it...

Details on the wood framed option can be viewed here (see pdf page 83): https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/file ... _p-320.pdf
Thanks for posting this.... While we plan to have an in-ground safe room (aka gun and cigar room) off of a walk-out basement when we eventually build (c'mon lottery!), for such a minimal cost I would absolutely look to add a reinforced pantry in case we don't get enough warning to get downstairs.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:35 pm
PriestTheRunner wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:50 am One of the reasons that MY new builds all have a reinforced pantry or master closet. With less warning you may be leaving a semi-safe area and going outside to wind and hail trying to get to a tornado proof area.

Thanks for posting this.... While we plan to have an in-ground safe room (aka gun and cigar room) off of a walk-out basement when we eventually build (c'mon lottery!), for such a minimal cost I would absolutely look to add a reinforced pantry in case we don't get enough warning to get downstairs.
we actually looked at a BOLTED to the slab small "locker" type room for the garage. But they are small and my fear was the house landing on top and blocking the exit. which of course would bring on my claustrophobia.
i used to not be concerned for small spaces, but last few years it messes with my mind and i get freaky very fast :shock:
i used to wedge my self into tight one way in or out spots in aircraft and now days ....nope not anymore
some counties in texas have partial grants or money to help the install of shelters. but my county is not one of those
texas dept or emergency management can get you a list if counties and dollars that were granted

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:58 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:35 pm

we actually looked at a BOLTED to the slab small "locker" type room for the garage. But they are small and my fear was the house landing on top and blocking the exit. which of course would bring on my claustrophobia.
i used to not be concerned for small spaces, but last few years it messes with my mind and i get freaky very fast :shock:
i used to wedge my self into tight one way in or out spots in aircraft and now days ....nope not anymore
some counties in texas have partial grants or money to help the install of shelters. but my county is not one of those
texas dept or emergency management can get you a list if counties and dollars that were granted
FWIW, my city has a register (voluntary) of homes with storm shelters. After a severe storm those addresses get checked for folks who may have been trapped by collapsed structures and trees.

Check with your local responders to see what they do in similar situations.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we do as it turns out
we have the enhance smart 911 in our county
it has alot of info you provide on its list about your house and who may be there, including pets and their pictures
pretty sure its statewide but each county emergency management has the info

i was so surprised we had the lead time to the event .

Return to “Non-Firearm related items”